GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,568
0 members and 1,568 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2004, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounding prepared and confident

Soundbytes...

When you go into a job interview, typically you have done some preparation: dressed to fit in with the culture of that company, your resume, letters of recommendation, an idea of why you want this job/what makes you qualified, and some preparation as to how you might answer some questions your interview will have for you, as well as questions for the interviewer. You wouldn’t take a job where you didn’t feel you would fit in with the corporate culture—you’d be miserable at a job like that! So you’d want to keep interviewing until you found a good niche.

So about questions…

In this thread, I’d like to invite sisters to offer questions PNMs might expect to hear. I’ll update the list as we get more feedback.

PNM’s, as you go into recruitment, practice how you might answer these questions with crisp, positive complete sentences—that is, create a “soundbyte.” If you were in the Top 10 for the Miss America Pageant, and Dick Clark leaned over to you and said, “Tell me about yourself,” you’d be ready with a big smile on your face and a careful answer.

Recruitment is a weeklong interview. Be prepared!

QUESTIONS TO EXPECT (Practice answering these!)
Tell me about yourself.
How did you choose your major?
What are your hobbies?
What kind of community service have you done?
What prompted you to go through recruitment?
Why are you interested in joining a sorority?
Favorites: music, TV shows, movies, color/s, sports
Do you like to travel? Where have you traveled?
What did you do this summer?
What classes are you taking?
If you're a transfer, why did you transfer?
If you're a freshman, how did you choose this university?
If you're an upperclassman, why did you decide to rush this year?
What kinds of clubs were you involved with in high school?
Do you have any Greeks in your family?
Where are you living?

QUESTIONS TO ASK
Tell me about your new member program.
What is your Big/Little program like? Is there a special Big/Little revealing?
How do sorority members manage to balance school and sorority?
What is your academic program like?
How much of a time commitment is a sorority?
Tell me about your social events. What have some of your favorites been?
What happens during homecoming week? How are the Greeks involved?
What are you looking for in a member?
Tell me about yourself. Why did you join XYZ?
What is your favorite part about being Greek?
What does the sorority do to support your philanthropy?
How can a member get involved with the sorority? How do you get to be a leader?
If there is a sorority house, is it mandatory to live in at some point? When? Are there mandatory meal plans? What are the costs associated with being in a sorority? What are the dues and what do they pay for?

DON'T ASK
Do you know so-and-so in your sorority? (Of course they do!) Instead, say "I know Jane Doe from your sorority. We were camp counselors together this summer at Kamp Krusty. She's told me so much about Greek Life! I was really excited to come here today because she's told me how wonderful her experience has been. What made you choose XYZ?"

Also, don't name-drop too much. You could be BFF with the student body president, but that person may not be on your rusher's good side! If you plan to name drop, stick to women you know in that sorority. If you happen to be the Sig Ep president's baby sis, and someone asks you that, then certainly smile and say yes.

Boyfriends, controversial topics like sex/drugs/religion/alcohol/politics/body odor/etc (You are a LADY. This is a first impression. Just as you wouldn't get into a political debate over the legalities of women's health with someone you just met at a coffee shop, neither would you accost your recruiter by blurting out, "So if I join, I plan to tattoo I LOVE XYZ on my boobs and go over to the fraternity next door and show it off!") Avoid vulgarities or controversy and go into this like you would with making any other friend.... Tattooing your boobs is at least a "5th date" conversation, no?

Above all, LISTEN as your recruiter-sister is talking. Find ways to interject your own questions as part of that conversation and your own personal attributes. you will also be shaking a lot of hands. Practice a firm shake that is neither a death grip, nor a floppy fish. SMILE a lot and appear interested.

Most importantly, if you like the sorority, tell them "I like XYZ!"

Last edited by adpiucf; 08-08-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ooooh, that is *fantastic*! I'm going to print it out for Baby Berry!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

These are all fabulous tips for PNMs
Old 08-08-2004, 07:02 PM
peanutttu

Awesome advice!!!

I wish I would've had tips like this 6 years ago when I went through recruitment.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:19 PM

When I went through recruitment, by atleast the third round I was being asked questions about what kind of music/bands I liked and what kind of movies I liked. These two questions seem ridiculously simple. However once i was on the other side of recruitment and asking PNM's these questions some were very caught off guard by them for some reason....so these are questions to think about as well.

We always liked to ask PNM's questions too about what kinds of interesting things they got to do over the summer ( answer something other than "I worked and partied"..........actually dont talk about parties period, but things to talk about if asked this are things like vacations,concerts you may have went to, camping/hiking trips, any volunteering/community service you did, sports you may have played during the summer in leagues.... those kinds of things.

I'm trying to think of things i talked about with people.......I remember getting into a conversation with someone about being a t-shirt and jeans girl which was cool because they turned out to be t-shirt and jeans person too and then that lead to a big discussion about shopping hahah.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:28 PM
peanutttu

Just remembered something that our Rho Chi's always told us and then it was re-iterrated when I was on the other side of recruitment......

Don't play the name game!!!! If you and the person rushing you happen to realize you know some of the same people, don't play the, 'Oh do you know Jane Smith? or Oh do you know Jane' boyfriend?'. If the person rushing you happens to know that person, it could be someone that they have a totally different opinion about than you.

(I know that is not explained very well and I'm sure another sister out there could explain it better. I'm just having a brain fart!)
Old 08-08-2004, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by peanutttu
Just remembered something that our Rho Chi's always told us and then it was re-iterrated when I was on the other side of recruitment......

Don't play the name game!!!! If you and the person rushing you happen to realize you know some of the same people, don't play the, 'Oh do you know Jane Smith? or Oh do you know Jane' boyfriend?'. If the person rushing you happens to know that person, it could be someone that they have a totally different opinion about than you.

(I know that is not explained very well and I'm sure another sister out there could explain it better. I'm just having a brain fart!)
This is good advice. Also dont bring up politics. I'll explain. For example First Lady Laura Bush is a Theta, however a lot of people do not like President Bush (including some Thetas!), so dont go into a Theta party and say something like, "oh I just love Laura Bush and I'm going to vote for George in November etc. etc."

DON'T VOICE POLITICAL OPINIONS IN RECRUITMENT PARTIES! Dont even bring it up in your end of the conversation because the sorority members will not be (arent supposed to anyway).
Old 08-09-2004, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh, boy. This is good advice.

This year in recruitment, a friend of mine (I'll call her Amy) who is in another sorority was talking to a PNM during recruitment. Amy had just broken up with her boyfriend and was still relatively upset about it. Amy and her boyfriend had met while they both were working at a popular restaurant.

While talking to this PNM, the topic of work comes up and Amy mentions that she works at this restaurant. The PNM perks up and asks, "Do you know John Smith?" (Amy's ex-boyfriend) Amy asks the PNM how she knows John, and the PNM replies, "He's my boyfriend of about a year."

Amy was DEVASTATED. Can you imagine finding out your boyfriend had cheated on you with a girl you're rushing?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to texlahoma
Thumbs up

thank you very much for the thread! between me and my friend back home, we've been trying to come up with questions that sound intelligent and coming up a little short. one question though.

even though we're not supposed to be playing the name game, if we're asked about someone we know in XYZ sorority, how much is enough to say? like if i'm asked about the woman who wrote my rec, do i say as little as possible?

thanks,
Lola
Old 08-09-2004, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADqtPiMel
Oh, boy. This is good advice.

This year in recruitment, a friend of mine (I'll call her Amy) who is in another sorority was talking to a PNM during recruitment. Amy had just broken up with her boyfriend and was still relatively upset about it. Amy and her boyfriend had met while they both were working at a popular restaurant.

While talking to this PNM, the topic of work comes up and Amy mentions that she works at this restaurant. The PNM perks up and asks, "Do you know John Smith?" (Amy's ex-boyfriend) Amy asks the PNM how she knows John, and the PNM replies, "He's my boyfriend of about a year."

Amy was DEVASTATED. Can you imagine finding out your boyfriend had cheated on you with a girl you're rushing?
OH MY GOSH! THIS HAPPENED IN MY CHAPTER FOUR YEARS AGO!!! (Before my time, but the stories get told at work week every year). PNMs... here is why talking about your boyfriend can be a bad idea!

We use the "Four B's" in my chapter for a guideline of what NOT to talk about

1) Boys - for the reasons mentioned above, and also if you are the type who likes to make a different "friend" every time you get drunk, you don't want to be telling girls that when you are trying to impress them!

2) Booze - you want to show them other sides of yourself, besides the fact that your nickname is "Kegstand Karen" or whatever. I'm sure that your personality is way more impressive than your drinking abilities! If you are a PNM and you don't drink, you can feel free to ask if there are girls in the chapter who also don't drink - my chapter has the reputation for being a "party" house, and we have soooooo many girls who don't drink... and you will find the same thing in most chapters.

3) Beliefs (also called Bible/Bush) - you don't want to get into a political or religious argument during recruitment. A lot of people hold their beliefs really close to their heart, so bringing them up could open a can of worms. This is tricky when you worked for the Kerry campaign last summer or your big extracurricular activity is Campus Crusade for Christ. If I were you, I would bring it up, but in a very laid-back sort of a way - so that no one could possibly construe it as you pushing your beliefs on them.

4) Bankbook - don't talk about how much money your father makes, and if a chapter asks you questions like this, honestly I think it's pretty inappropriate (and I was recruitment chair). You can of course ask questions about dues, live-in requirements, and scholarships - just steer away from questions like, "Wow, you girls all have really nice clothes... so is everyone in this chapter super-rich?" (It's been asked before!)

In terms of what to say, just be yourself! The most natural girls are generally the ones who do best in recruitment! Show off your fabulous personality, and don't be afraid to ask the active you are talking to questions - bring up the O.C. if its your favorite show (I know you can't move in my chapter's TV room when that show is on) or talk about the concert you went to this summer (great suggestion i stole from someone before) or your hobbies. If you are stuck for conversation, complimenting someone on something adorable or unusual about her outfit is a great icebreaker - everyone likes a compliment, and it can generally spin off into a conversation about shopping/personal style/etc (like the conversation Mary talked about before!)

Good luck to all the PNMs!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:18 PM
peanutttu

Quote:
Originally posted by nucutiepie
We use the "Four B's" in my chapter for a guideline of what NOT to talk about

1) Boys -

2) Booze -

3) Beliefs -

4) Bankbook -

Good luck to all the PNMs!!!
awesome advice!!! i've never heard it referred to as the 4 b's but that nails it on the head!!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texlahoma
like if i'm asked about the woman who wrote my rec, do i say as little as possible?

thanks,
Lola
No one will ask you about how you know the person who wrote your recs. Trust me! The sisters have, yes, been studying the recs and applications, but with 100-1000+ women streaming through the door, they'll be lucky to get a girl who they can remember all the facts on. So no one will ask you about where you got your recs, how you got your recs, or even if you got your recs.

Still, with that said, get your recs. In the overall scheme of recruitment, they will help you in other ways.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
awesome advice!!! i've never heard it referred to as the 4 b's but that nails it on the head!!!!!
We had a fifth one...I don't remember what the "B" word was, but NEVER TALK ABOUT OTHER CHAPTERS.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shima-Mizu
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
We had a fifth one...I don't remember what the "B" word was, but NEVER TALK ABOUT OTHER CHAPTERS.
Our B's were Boys, Bible (aka beliefs), bank, booze, and our fifth was body (aka "do I look fat" etc)
Old 08-11-2004, 02:29 PM
peanutttu

bump......