GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,384
2 members and 2,382 guests
bjaessjnray2773, John

Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

too old to rush?

I am a transfer sophomore, who rushed one of the two frats here, and got rejected. I want to be in a frat so badly, and am thinking of rushing next semester. however, it seems most or nearly all of each pledge class for both are either freshmen in the spring, or sophomores in the fall. Does this mean I'll be too old to get a bid? I really don't want to be turned down again
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

If you have two "frats" and got "rejected" by one of them, that sounds like your problem. Juniors (particularly transfers) do get bids even at big schools, just there's a chance that YOU might not. But if you want to have the chance, then rush.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

It differs from school to school and chapter to chapter. But if one of the fraternities rejected you, then chances are the other knows you were rejected as well. If they were for reasons simply as 'we had enough guys already,' it wouldn't hurt to rush again. But if it was for other reasons, then you might be out of luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I meant didn't get a bid, not necessarily "reject." Also, they always take few guys in the fall and a lot in the spring
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakrosse View Post
I meant didn't get a bid, not necessarily "reject." Also, they always take few guys in the fall and a lot in the spring
I don't know anything about their membership selection, but I could wager they vote on every member. If they choose not to give you a bid and don't say something to you along the lines of "hey, rush in the spring," chances are they don't want you.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

How can someone be a transferring sophomore, j/w, I think i've met people who were but I never understood how they did it
Old 09-29-2008, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydrillbit View Post
How can someone be a transferring sophomore, j/w, I think i've met people who were but I never understood how they did it
You transfer your sophomore year? What's not to understand?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

No one is ever too old to join. I joined my chapter as junior.

If there are only two different fraternities on your campus, perhaps you might consider being a "founding father" of a new group on your campus and then shop for a national organization that fits the ideals of your group.

Best of luck,

Doug Allen
National President
Theta Chi Fraternity