GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,431
2 members and 2,429 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Fairleigh Dickinson locals?

I'm wondering if someone knows anything about FD history. I have a friend who is in her 60's. She says she was in a sorority (I believe she graduated in 1970), but can't remember which one, and doesn't remember doing anything with the sorority after being hazed through to initiation. The best she can give me is she thinks there was a theta in the name.

Don't start on how could you forget the name of your sorority. I've already gone there. Or the colors, symbols, did you have a house, a pin, a mascot, anything? I'm assuming it's a local. This has just been bugging the hell out of me. What I said to her is it's kind of like saying you don't remember where you went to college!

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis I'm wondering if someone knows anything about FD history. I have a friend who is in her 60's. She says she was in a sorority (I believe she graduated in 1970), but can't remember which one, and doesn't remember doing anything with the sorority after being hazed through to initiation. The best she can give me is she thinks there was a theta in the name.

Don't start on how could you forget the name of your sorority. I've already gone there. Or the colors, symbols, did you have a house, a pin, a mascot, anything? I'm assuming it's a local. This has just been bugging the hell out of me. What I said to her is it's kind of like saying you don't remember where you went to college!

Do you know what FDU campus she attended??? There were 3 locations....Teaneck, Rutherford and Madison. The Rutherford campus was closed in the Mid 90's and only 2 remain. From my understanding, only the Teaneck and Rutherford campus had local sororities, which if memory serves me correctly they later were absorbed by NPC Orgs...Phi Sigma Sigma, DPhiE and Theta Phi Alpha. The Teaneck campus currently has AEPHI and AST and the Madison Campus currently has Theta Phi Alpha, ZTA, DPhiE and Phi Sigma Sigma.

I will ask some Alumni that I know that attended FDU and see what they can tell me.

ZBT" Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."
Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe Madison, but I'll check again with her. Thanks for the (potential) help.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis I'm wondering if someone knows anything about FD history. I have a friend who is in her 60's. She says she was in a sorority (I believe she graduated in 1970), but can't remember which one, and doesn't remember doing anything with the sorority after being hazed through to initiation. The best she can give me is she thinks there was a theta in the name.

Do you know what FDU campus she attended??? There were 3 locations....Teaneck, Rutherford and Madison. The Rutherford campus was closed in the Mid 90's and only 2 remain. From my understanding, only the Teaneck and Rutherford campus had local sororities, which if memory serves me correctly they later were absorbed by NPC Orgs...Phi Sigma Sigma, DPhiE and Theta Phi Alpha. The Teaneck campus currently has AEPHI and AST and the Madison Campus currently has Theta Phi Alpha, ZTA, DPhiE and Phi Sigma Sigma.

I will ask some Alumni that I know that attended FDU and see what they can tell me.

DubaiSis, I was able to contact 2 alumni from FDU that were both involve with Greek Life during the 1980's @ both Teaneck and Rutherford campuses. This is what they told me....

Teaneck Campus: 4 local sororities....Alpha Tau Theta, Xi Delta, Phi Epsilon Chi & Sigma Gamma Nu. Xi Delta, started by the former TKE Little Sisters was absorbed by Phi Sigma Sigma in 1989, Phi Epsilon Chi was absorbed by DPhiE in 1990 and Alpha Tau Theta was absorbed by Theta Phi Alpha in late 1990/early 1991. Sigma Gamma Nu closed sometime around 1992.

Rutherford Campus: 2 local sororities....Tau Lambda Chi and Gamma Alpha Xi (closed in 1991), along with 2 NPC Orgs...DPhiE and Phi Sigma Sigma. The Rutherford Campus closed in the Spring of 1993 and the Students, Faculty, Admins, Orgs, etc. were divided between the 2 remaining campuses...Teaneck and Madison.

Madison Campus: As far as they (Alumni) know that there were no local Greeks at the Madison campus. From their understanding, Greek Life was started by NIC and NPC orgs. in the early 80's.

I hope this information helps!!!!!

ZBT" Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I had dinner at my Mom's friend's house - when I told my mom's friend I was in a sorority, she non-chanlantly said, "Oh... yea.. I was in one too at UBC..." I got all excited and ask her which one, because UBC has a fantastic greek community (probably one of the best in Canada). She sort of looked at me blankly and said, "Oh, I can't remember... Alpha Something..." I had to prompt her to remember the name of her sorority, after listing off all the chapters there... SERIOUSLY. She then told me she only joined for the parties, which made me wonder if she was ever actually initiated into the organization or maybe just pledged it... who knows...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM

All I can say is what people always say about the 1960s: if you can remember it, you weren't there. LOL. I would wager that any NJ campus in the time frame you mentioned qualifies for that statement.