GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,463
1 members and 2,462 guests
navane

Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

"No Alumnae in Your Area? No Problem!"

I would like to hear what the GC alums think about this page at the Texas Tech Panhellenic webpage regarding rec letters.

http://greeklife.ttu.edu/org/recruitment/Alumnae

I had... thoughts... about several things, but I may be off-base and will reserve my concerns until I hear from the more experienced rec writers here.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems like pretty standard rec letter information that the writer is providing, but I'm confused as to how you recommend someone to be a part of a group if you yourself are not part of that group and have no idea what their values are and if the potential member would make a valuable contribution. After all, isn't that what a recommendation is supposed to be? I'm an XYZ and I see XYZ qualities in you and think you would be a great XYZ. Not I'm an independent community member and think you should have a recommendation to XYZ?

I may be just spitballing but that's my opinion.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I looked at the form that their Panhellenic provides. It's not a recommendation. It's just a generic character type reference form. Not sure of the value.

As for what we think, hey - it's their Panhellenic, it's their recruitment. Not my circus, not my monkeys. Frankly, I'd be really surprised if PNMs weren't better prepared than what is written on that webpage.

ETA: there is a lot of good information, I sound far more disparaging than I mean to sound. I am saying that PNMs going through any TX recruitment better be way more prepared.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 07-08-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Haaaa, one of my favorites.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a problem with them stating that while some alumnae panhellenics require what they call "frills" ( transcripts, for example) Tech doesn't - here's the deal; if Katy girls do not include the packet information we ask for they run the risk of not getting a rec. They need to stay in THEIR lane and not try and second-guess the alumnae panhellenics. We ask for that information for a reason.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
It seems like pretty standard rec letter information that the writer is providing, but I'm confused as to how you recommend someone to be a part of a group if you yourself are not part of that group and have no idea what their values are and if the potential member would make a valuable contribution. After all, isn't that what a recommendation is supposed to be? I'm an XYZ and I see XYZ qualities in you and think you would be a great XYZ. Not I'm an independent community member and think you should have a recommendation to XYZ?

I may be just spitballing but that's my opinion.
I think *maybe* it would be worth something if it was another NPC woman, like, "I am an XYZ and I'd love to have her as an XYZ, but there is no XYZ at Tech, so I'm letting ABC and DEF know that this woman is awesome."

....but only if we were short of women who *did* have real recs.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

^ That I agree with. I can see that being a reasonable and valuable use
Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
They need to stay in THEIR lane and not try and second-guess the alumnae panhellenics. We ask for that information for a reason.
This! The page got my hackles up for multiple reasons. Making a blanket statement to the PNMs "Chapters do not desire or require more than one recommendation letter per student"... it feels invasive. How can TTU Panhellenic know what my chapter desires?

I mean, y'all tell me if I'm off base. I can take it.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think you are off base at all
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM

The no golden ticket part is funny.

The random rec thing sounds like something that unknowing women will waste a lot of time on that will get them nowhere - sort of a rec Darwinism, if you will.

I think Jennifer Aniston's character from Office Space wrote this. Cause man, they really, really, REALLY hate flair.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this might be what happens when some UT alum moms have daughters that decide to go to what was once the much more laid back Tech? Tech is trying to resist the madness?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think they went a little overboard but I do believe HQWest is right. While, a number of girls go through recruitment from the large Metropolitan areas and large West Texas towns like Midland or San Angelo, a HUGE number go through from very small towns of 2 or 3 thousand or even smaller like Hereford and Idalou and no other towns around for miles. I think this is an attempt to level the playing field for these girls so they can have a good recruitment.

This is not the 1st time I've heard of this. Back in the 80's a friend of mine had a daughter going to Southwest Texas State. I was asked to fill out a form Panhellenic Reference for her and send to Panhellenic office. My sorority has never been at Southwest Texas State. All I had to be was a member of a National Panhellenic Sorority. The Panhellenic Office made copies of my reference and gave them t the groups there at the time. I thought it was really strange but was glad to do it because she was a great girl and ended up in a group she loved. Never been asked to do it before or since.