GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 04-06-2011, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Underground "fraternity" at Oklahoma State: Allegedly Racist T-Shirt Design

An underground group at Oklahoma State U has reportedly caused some controversy with an allegedly “racist” design for t-shirts; see:

http://www.ocolly.com/underground-gr...ersy-1.2143266
Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
the fraternity's adviser, Ed Shaw, contacted him and other Greek chapters to let them know of the issue Sunday. Shaw, an assistant professor of microbiology and molecular genetics,
How does an underground chapter that calls itself by the name of a legitimate NIC fraternity get a faculty adviser? I'm shocked that Sigma Chi isn't all over this one, and not just because of the horrible shirt.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

One, two, three, four, I declare a race war!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
How does an underground chapter that calls itself by the name of a legitimate NIC fraternity get a faculty adviser? I'm shocked that Sigma Chi isn't all over this one, and not just because of the horrible shirt.
According to the article, Sigma Chi had nothing to do with this, this was a bunch of former Sigma Chis and one current member. Sigma Chi is still at OSU and has an advisor.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

So there are two groups that call themselves Sigma Chi at the school ...? I am confused.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
So there are two groups that call themselves Sigma Chi at the school ...? I am confused.
It looks like the group is calling themselves Sigma Chi or possibly Sigma Chi underground? and misrepresenting themselves as members of Sigma Chi to the T-shirt vendor and trying to run their own Derby Days.

My question is why the "current member" who is involved isn't being called to the carpet, but perhaps he is.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

This is bizarre. The article and situation is a hot mess. Am I getting it right now?

There are two groups on campus:

1. Real Sigma Chi who has the adviser and includes initiated members recognized by the national organization and school.

2. Fake Sigma Chi that consists of non-Sigma Chi members except for one "real" Sigma Chi?" They use the name and all of the traditions like Derby Days but are not recognized by the school or Sigma Chi nationals. They had the offending shirt made and used the legitimate Sigma Chi crest/coa and everyone blamed Real Sigma Chi for it?

How in the world does an underground get away with using the name of a legitimate fraternity that still exists on that campus? It makes my head hurt.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Kevin - former as in the chapter kicked them out or former as in their HQ recolonized the chapter and these are the early alumni?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

No clue. There's an active chapter of Sigma Chi at OSU, aside from that, all I know is what I read in the papers.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-07-2011, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

My understanding.
  1. The Gamma Delta Chapter of Sigma Chi Fraternity is active and recognized by Oklahoma State University and by Sigma Chi Fraternity. Gamma Delta Chapter has an adviser.

2. There is an “underground group” of men that allegedly may include, but may not be limited to, former members of Sigma Chi and one current member. This “underground group” is not recognized by, or associated with, Sigma Chi Fraternity nor recognized by Oklahoma State University. Nor is this “underground group” known to have an adviser.

3. The “underground group” misled a local licensed vendor into printing shirts that included the use of the Norman Shield and the Sigma Chi founding date. Again, none of this was approved by Sigma Chi Fraternity or the Gamma Delta Chapter.

4. The Gamma Delta Chapter adviser informed the Oklahoma State Greek Community about the shirt and that it is in no way associated with the Gamma Delta Chapter or Sigma Chi Fraternity.

For what it is worth, I am confident that Sigma Chi Fraternity is investigating this matter.