GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,135
2 members and 2,133 guests
Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohio University?

Anyone familiar with Greek life at Ohio University? My youngest sister was just accepted there and will likely end up attending next fall...she's been asking what recruitment is like, what to wear for recruitment, what it's like to live in a house, etc.

Also, any good local living/dining/drinking suggestions would be welcome...my other sister and I went to Miami University and my family is from Indiana, so we aren't familiar with OU beyond the campus tour.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to Ohio Univeristy- I graduated in 1996, but I keep up with the school. Greek life there is on a downturn, but starting to come back. What would you like to know?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
Anyone familiar with Greek life at Ohio University? My youngest sister was just accepted there and will likely end up attending next fall...she's been asking what recruitment is like, what to wear for recruitment, what it's like to live in a house, etc.

Also, any good local living/dining/drinking suggestions would be welcome...my other sister and I went to Miami University and my family is from Indiana, so we aren't familiar with OU beyond the campus tour.
Sorry- I just realized that I didn't answer any questions. Recruitment is somewhat competitive but most people will get a bid from a house. Quota was 24 this past fall and campus total is 135, so most groups continue to COB (even the "better" houses).

All the houses have a live-in requirement of some sort. Only one (the Fuzzie house) has a sleeping porch. The Alpha Gam house is set up in suites- 7 or so share a living room, bedroom, huge closet and bath. Usually sophomores, juniors (that rushed as soph.) and exec live in. All of the houses are uptown, so closer to Court Street than the dorms, so they have a great location for getting to the bars, and in most cases, class.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

OU is not as competitive as MU. I would say that recruitment is similar to Ohio State; competitive for the "top" houses, but everyone can get a bid if they keep their options open.

The big difference with OU (comparred to most Ohio schools) is that recruitment is still in the fall. This makes it tough for out of state freshman because they know so few people.

I'm sure if you secure her recs prior to recruitment, she will be fine.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

one more thing- it is not uncommon for sophomores to rush- and get bids.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
OU is not as competitive as MU. I would say that recruitment is similar to Ohio State; competitive for the "top" houses, but everyone can get a bid if they keep their options open.

The big difference with OU (comparred to most Ohio schools) is that recruitment is still in the fall. This makes it tough for out of state freshman because they know so few people.

I'm sure if you secure her recs prior to recruitment, she will be fine.
Do you think recs will be important? Recs were useful but not essential at Miami, so I assumed OU would be similar. She's an ADPi legacy, but her other legacy chapter isn't at OU.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs were not big at OU. We occasionally got one for a legacy or close relative, but the vast majority won't have them. So, they don't hurt, but they are not a necessity.

Also, we had alot of out of state people come through rush, so being from out of state isn't a big deal, either. In fact, we used to joke that maryland/DC was part of Ohio because of all the people from that area that come to Athens for college.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

No, recs are not important to get into a chapter. However, my point is that this is the beginning of her first year of college and she is from out of state. An introduction is always helpful, and will never hurt since she may not know as many girls as others.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
No, recs are not important to get into a chapter. However, my point is that this is the beginning of her first year of college and she is from out of state. An introduction is always helpful, and will never hurt since she may not know as many girls as others.
She's actually not out of state anyway...the rents now live in the Dayton area. Our high school sends quite a few to OU usually.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post

Acron, right?