GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,586
1 members and 2,585 guests
Tridentia

Old 08-14-2002, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

A Hypothetical Question

This got me thinking. Say, what if you join an IFC, NPHC, or NPC GLO, go through initiation, disaffliate, then join an upcoming national GLO or local, and go through initiation for that one. WHAT IF that upcoming national GLO becomes a part of the same conference of the previous GLO you dropped out of? What will happen?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2002, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

If you look way back in history, when all the fraternities were being founded, you'd see disbanded DKE's who started Sigma Chi and TKE's were an actual interest group of Phi Delta Theta that decided to start their own group when Phi Delt denied them. It is actually not uncommon to see an Alpha Delta Phi who was admitted membership into Sigma Chi or Phi Delt. That was, I wouldn't say pretty common, but it did happen back then...

Today, you'd see the national org. investigate each new member, and if they had membership in another GLO, they would not be allowed to join. That is, unless they keep it to themselves....
Old 08-14-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZZ-kai-

Today, you'd see the national org. investigate each new member, and if they had membership in another GLO, they would not be allowed to join. That is, unless they keep it to themselves....
Yeah, exactly. But, what I am saying: what if you go through initiation BEFORE that GLO becomes a part of the conference you previously belong to? In other words you will technically be a initiated member in two GLOs within one conference, which in a way is illegal, but in another way it is legal. How would that be handled?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 08-14-2002 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Given that it's been a long time since a group joined the NPHC or NPC and I thin NIC, that's definitely a theoretical question, but ...

Before the 50s, many women were members of sororities in the AES, which were sororities primarily at teachers colleges (including ASA, Tri-Sigma and AST). Many of these women were also members of NPC sororities (maybe they transferred, for example).

When the distinction between NPC and AES groups began to fade, the AES sororities joined the NPC in the early 1950s. Women who were in both were told they could only belong to one. And they were not given a choice of which one they belonged to - the old NPC group took precedence over the AES group. So if you were an ASA and a DZ, suddenly you were no longer an ASA. I have heard that the loss of members hit some of these chapters pretty hard, but I'm not sure how true that statement is.

In your scenario, though, the person disaffiliated. So they would not have dual membership at the time their U&CGLO joined NPC. And probably no one would bother to care in this circumstance, particularly if they were already an alum, especially since there would not be too many members in that situation. I don't think they'd kick you out since when the person joined the rule preventing joining twice did not apply.

However, that group would not be allowed to pledge members that were former members in another NPC group from that point forward.