GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,452
2 members and 2,450 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Letter of Recommendation?

I'll be rushing a private university in the Texas next year and was wondering if my dad's friend was a member of a fraternity at a school but I'm going to a different school, could he still write me a letter for the same fraternity at my school? Also, could someone just go over the basics of how these letters work? Is it like I ask him and give him an address to send it to for the fraternity, when should he send it, etc? Thanks for any information.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this school competitive for recruitment? Is the chapter at this school one you really want to pursue membership in? Are you an incoming freshman or are you transferring?

Generally, recs aren't as big of a deal for fraternities as they are with sororities at competitive schools, since the rush process is much different.

Any member of the organization can write you a rec letter, he does not have to be related to you.

Rec Letters contain basic information about you and why you would be a good member at the chapter. I should be sent to the chapter before rush (if chapters on this campus have summer rush parties though, I have no idea and someone else can chime in on that). Mail the form (or see if the chapter has an electronic form online).

Last edited by lucgreek; 04-21-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby92 View Post
I'll be rushing a private university in the Texas next year and was wondering if my dad's friend was a member of a fraternity at a school but I'm going to a different school, could he still write me a letter for the same fraternity at my school? Also, could someone just go over the basics of how these letters work? Is it like I ask him and give him an address to send it to for the fraternity, when should he send it, etc? Thanks for any information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
Is this school competitive for recruitment? Is the chapter at this school one you really want to pursue membership in? Are you an incoming freshman or are you transferring?

Generally, recs aren't as big of a deal for fraternities as they are with sororities at competitive schools, since the rush process is much different.

Any member of the organization can write you a rec letter, he does not have to be related to you.

Rec Letters contain basic information about you and why you would be a good member at the chapter. I should be sent to the chapter before rush (if chapters on this campus have summer rush parties though, I have no idea and someone else can chime in on that). Mail the form (or see if the chapter has an electronic form online).
If you are going to TCU or SMU, it's going to be competitive. I would sit down with your dad's friend and ask him to contact the rush captain on your behalf too. That will give you some extra attention and also should get you on the summer party invite list.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I am an active in a fraternity at TCU and on the rush team. Generally, recommendations are not needed and are rarely used. That being said, I have seen a few each year. It definitely won't hurt your chances, but best case scenario it will you get a call from a rush captain/chair to attend a rush event. Getting a bid will largely depend on how you present yourself when you go to rush events. Hang out as many times with as many fraternities as possible. That will give you the best idea of where you fit in. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, and I'll be glad to help.