GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,265
3 members and 2,262 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-25-2004, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Supposedly our quota this fall is going to be 85! It's still better than 150, but damn a pledge class of 85 seems a little ridiculous...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2004, 09:42 AM

SDT is NOT closed. They are just moving out of their house.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=49500

Also a quick look at their national site shows that they are active.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
SDT is NOT closed. They are just moving out of their house.
Won't not having a house hurt them during recruitment? Any other chapters not have houses?

Quote:
Originally posted by FAB*SpiceySpice
Supposedly our quota this fall is going to be 85!
Dang... that's more than total at my school! If quota is always that high, you could easily end up with chapters with 300+ members.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:02 AM

It was mentioned in another thread that SDT @ Purdue does not have a house...apparently it works for them there so perhaps they are trying the same thing at Bama. It will definitely cut down on expenses so maybe that will help them out.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-25-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
Won't not having a house hurt them during recruitment? Any other chapters not have houses?
SDT does not have a house at my school, either. While they're not as big as the other sororities, they don't have to be because they don't have a house to fill. SDT has done this at a number of schools, and I think it's a pretty good idea -- much better than closing down a chapter that has good sisterhood and enough girls to function just because they can't afford to keep the house. I think that for most NPC sororities, though, the idea that you don't HAVE to compete numbers-wise with the other groups on campus is still one they're coming to terms with.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it unthinkable that a strong Panhellenic chapter would take less than quota intentionally? Honestly, if I were running a chapter, I simply would not want to deal with those kinds of logistics. I realize that on some campuses there's a stigma associated with not taking quota...but would that be the case if it were well known that that chapter just likes to be smaller and only bids superstars and legacies? Also, I know that for philanthropy, Greek Week, etc. it's difficult for a smaller chapter to compete with big chapters...but again, would that be the case if the "smaller" chapter is "only" 160 superstar members?

I ask because at the vast majority of schools, fraternities can take as many members as they want, but they CHOOSE not to have 85-member pledge classes; even powerhouses usually stick to around 50 pledges. Everyone on campus knows that XYZ could take 500 pledges if they wanted and that taking 50 was a choice, so their reputation is only enhanced by the selectivity. So I wonder if sororities ever make the same choice.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

ok here is the RUMOR i have been hearing for quite some time: SDT had 14 girls last year and 7 of those were seniors, so they will have 7 girls during fall rush. you would think that it would be easy for them to pick up alot girls but most girls are scared b/c of rumors that they will be shutting down and they don't want to risk joining a group for a year or so. unfortunately SDT's numbers have been very low for quite some time and with BAMA being the way it is, it is unlikely that they survive. and there are no other NPC groups on campus without houses and that is likely to hurt them a great deal.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:12 AM

you say that is the RUMOR so I am guessing you haven't seen their membership roster or know for a fact that they only have seven girls. So please be Panhellenic and give them the benefit of the doubt rather than reporting negatives. Maybe the rushees wouldn't be hearing these RUMORS if other sororities didn't keep repeating them.

So so so many kudos to SDT for sticking behind these girls rather than just saying "you're below quota so your sisterhood doesn't count. kthxbye, your chapter's closed." Not everyone cares about living in a mansion - that's why Greeks are discouraged from using "house" (What house are you in?) to refer to a chapter. If all you are in your sorority for is your house you are a lame weak jerk. Apparently SDT feels that sisterhood is more important than money, numbers or campus rep. Thank God.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I am buzzed and this pisses me off no end to see crap like this.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

It's really unfortunate for SDT at Bama-- they are a single letter chapter with a lot of alumnae backing, but many girls coming to Bama are close-minded and go on rumors during rush. This hurts their house a lot, with no fault of their own. Girls are told that they need to join a large house, and little do most know that sisterhood can be much better in a house where you know each of your sisters well, and can even recognize them on the street going to class.

The SDTs are very sweet girls-- I know a number of them personally, and it's very unfortunate that they have to move out of their house. That's a fact. The rumor part is that they are closing down completely, which may or may not be true. I've contacted a Panhellenic officer and she said she was not even sure as of yet, but would know closer to fall recruitment.

I'll keep y'all posted if I find anything out, but for know let's pray for their chapter and hope that they come out OK. Panhellenic first-- that's what I say.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

So so so many kudos to SDT for sticking behind these girls rather than just saying "you're below quota so your sisterhood doesn't count. kthxbye, your chapter's closed." Not everyone cares about living in a mansion .
How true! It would be great if this situation could be turned into a positive for SDT. I am sure that there a lots of women who are interested in recruitment at Alabama but unable to go through because of the cost of paying for a house. Wouldn't SDT be a perfect alternative for them?
I wish them the best. Struggling for numbers is heartbreaking for those members - all the sorority women at Alabama should remember that.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Did SDT lose their house at UGA too? I noticed they are not on the Greek Life website anymore.

And I totally agree with what the above poster wrote about SDT may be a wonderful place for some great women who just couldn't afford to join a sorority that has house fees and parlor fees and such. Good luck to everyone this fall!!!!
Old 06-26-2004, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
you say that is the RUMOR so I am guessing you haven't seen their membership roster or know for a fact that they only have seven girls. So please be Panhellenic and give them the benefit of the doubt rather than reporting negatives. Maybe the rushees wouldn't be hearing these RUMORS if other sororities didn't keep repeating them.

So so so many kudos to SDT for sticking behind these girls rather than just saying "you're below quota so your sisterhood doesn't count. kthxbye, your chapter's closed." Not everyone cares about living in a mansion - that's why Greeks are discouraged from using "house" (What house are you in?) to refer to a chapter. If all you are in your sorority for is your house you are a lame weak jerk. Apparently SDT feels that sisterhood is more important than money, numbers or campus rep. Thank God.
Good points, 33!
Old 06-26-2004, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
I hadn't heard that about SDT. That's so sad! I have some friends that are SDT alumnae. I hope they remain active despite a dip in numbers. One of my friends was the housemother there a couple years ago and told me that she really enjoyed it there.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
According to Alabama's on Greek Website... Under Greek System Data... What the young lady from 'Bama said was rather accurate number wise...

As of Fall 2003, SDT had 18 members, five of those members pledged this past recruitment. The avg chapter size is 140 members, with most chapters between 140-180 members.

I think it is great that everyone is supporting SDT, including their Nationals (if this is the case). However, I am from the south and attended a southern school. I can sooo understand what some greek members from the south are saying. Right or wrong it is how it is at some southern schools. The Greek system is strong and thriving, so the formula and way of life is obviously working for them!

Last edited by Angels&Arrows; 06-29-2004 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angels&Arrows
I think it is great that everyone is supporting SDT, including their Nationals (if this is the case). However, I am from the south and attended a southern school. I can sooo understand what some greek members from the south are saying. Right or wrong it is how it is at some southern schools.
No one is disputing the facts - and I think that everyone realizes that low numbers (compared to the other NPC groups on a campus) does hurt a sorority and that PNM's do take it into consideration. Certainly, the more important greek life is on a campus, the more it influences decisions. I am not sure that putting all the facts out on GC (or repeating "rumors") does much to help SDT at Alabama. Whatever happens, what they need most is the support of other greeks.