GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,465
0 members and 1,465 guests
No Members online

Old 10-17-2016, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Wanted to Go Greek but it didn't work out-- my recruitment story

I rushed back in September and didn't find my home. There are 12 houses at my school, and after the open house rounds I got cut from 7! I was really discouraged, I am an introvert and sort of shy so small talk wasn't exactly my best friend, and I felt very discouraged after getting cut from so many houses. I went on and kept my hopes up. The next round I got cut from 3 houses. I was left with one house I felt at home with and one that I knew I did not vibe well with. In the end I decided to suicide it because I felt if I didn't get the one I wanted I wouldn't want to be in greek life at all. It didn't work out, I ended up bidless. Yet I knew that was a better option then being in a sisterhood I felt I didn't fit in. The thing that made it the most heartbreaking is the girl who prefed made me said some things that obviously made me surprised when I didn't get the bid.

Now I am eligible for COB. There isn't much information at my school about this, but so far the one sorority that is doing it is the one that I didn't vibe with. I was confused as to which sororities will do it because the greek life coordinator at my school told me after they reset total those under total are able to do participate at their discretion. Does this mean if they want they can decide not to do it or they just have the discretion of how to plan their events for COB.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I suggest that you go to any events to which you are invited. COB is entirely different from formal and you may find that you actually fit with that group - should they invite you to anything.

And, yes, if their National org approves, they do not have to do COB.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM

A chapter can have open spots and CHOOSE not to participate in COR/COB.

They usually will opt to do it, because most national orgs want their chapters operating at optimum membership.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmymads View Post
I rushed back in September and didn't find my home. There are 12 houses at my school, and after the open house rounds I got cut from 7! I was really discouraged, I am an introvert and sort of shy so small talk wasn't exactly my best friend, and I felt very discouraged after getting cut from so many houses. I went on and kept my hopes up. The next round I got cut from 3 houses. I was left with one house I felt at home with and one that I knew I did not vibe well with. In the end I decided to suicide it because I felt if I didn't get the one I wanted I wouldn't want to be in greek life at all. It didn't work out, I ended up bidless. Yet I knew that was a better option then being in a sisterhood I felt I didn't fit in. The thing that made it the most heartbreaking is the girl who prefed made me said some things that obviously made me surprised when I didn't get the bid.

Now I am eligible for COB. There isn't much information at my school about this, but so far the one sorority that is doing it is the one that I didn't vibe with. I was confused as to which sororities will do it because the greek life coordinator at my school told me after they reset total those under total are able to do participate at their discretion. Does this mean if they want they can decide not to do it or they just have the discretion of how to plan their events for COB.
First, that is exactly what strong recruiting chapters do... they are great at really making PNMs WANT to join that house. That is what rush is! The girl who preffed you had very, very little say in the decision.

And that chapter did not necessarily lie to you or not want you. They simply had other girls on their bid list higher & they filled their quota before they got to your name. That is all there is to it. If you were invited to Pref, they did want you as a member.

Now for some tough advice... if you want to be in a sorority, your freshman year is your very BEST opportunity. If there are COB opportunities now where you can blend right in with the rest of the freshmen, I strongly urge you to consider it. This "I did not vibe well" excuse is usually bullsh#t.

There are likely hundreds of girls in every chapter. As has been said here by someone wiser than me... YOU JUST HAVEN'T MET YOUR PEOPLE! Unless there was a serious cultural difference, you can find friends in this "non-vibing" chapter.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Did you enroll in COB thru Panhellenic? If not, you need to. Go to a COB event with the sorority you did not see yourself in. Go to two. If at that stage you still can't see yourself as a member, then so be it. But understand that this might be your only chance.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 PM

I missed where she said she is at a school with hundreds of girls in every chapter....?