GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,952
0 members and 1,952 guests
No Members online

Old 03-18-2007, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

starting a sorority

A friend and I have been interested in starting a sorority at my school but the school has no recognized greek life. There is one underground fraternity, Psi Upsilon, that has to hold all of its events off-campus and receive absolutely no recognition from my school. My school is a state school but the administration won't support starting any greek organizations. Are we stuck or is there some way for us to get around/force our school to let us start a sorority chapter?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

i say get your group of interests and start an interests group... something in the like of a sorority... and base it on the reasons why you want to start a sorority in the first place...and see how far your group goes.. with working together.. doing community service together.. things like that for starters.. see how well that works for one sememster... if your school notices how well you guys work together they might extend an exception to you... other schools allow organizations to exist as a just a school organization and not as a sorority or fraternity... but thats a start in most cases in which most members in an organization just want the opportunity to perform things as an unified group... Plus there's nothing wrong with being underground
Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPDPrez View Post
Plus there's nothing wrong with being underground
Well, I disagree. There are numerous reasons why I wouldn't rush an underground chapter, but that's just me.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Well, I disagree. There are numerous reasons why I wouldn't rush an underground chapter, but that's just me.
What exactly is the difference? I've never understood it. At my university we have an underground chapter of TKE and as far as i know they're a very well recognized national Fraternity.... so tell me exactly what makes being underground so different??
Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Most National organizations that are part of NIC, IFC, NPC, NPHC and multicultural organizations generally have to have legal MOU's with the college/university.

A young lady want to join my Sorority through undergraduate chapter who attend Phoenix University, the on-line University and pay as you go school. But the University refused to recognize our expansion stating a liability issues and against the mission of the university...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPDPrez View Post
What exactly is the difference? I've never understood it. At my university we have an underground chapter of TKE and as far as i know they're a very well recognized national Fraternity.... so tell me exactly what makes being underground so different??
"Underground" refers to groups that are not recognized by the school OR by the national fraternity. Men who join these chapters are not brothers on a national level - they've never sent in national fees and are not protected by national insurance.

Being unrecognized by the school, but recognized by the national, is NOT the same as being underground AND THE TWO SHOULD NEVER BE CONFUSED. The school doesn't let them use campus facilities or post things, like they would a recognized fraternity, but there is NOTHING "illegal" about it.

I'm not sure which of these situations the TKEs at your school and the Psi Us at the OP's school fall under - but it is very important in this instance to use the correct terminology.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Lemons, PM if you'd like! I am the founder and president of a local sorority on a campus that had VERY limited Greek life!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Apparently your dean has not read Astin's theory of involvement...if someone tries every year, it sounds like students on your campus, who supposedly come because there is no Greek life, actually DO want Greeks. I mean, if its the Xth time the dean has had this request, it doesn't really make their case that Greeks are not wanted, does it?

If its important to you, I would keep trying. Maybe you can go straight to the president's office and explain the that you've already approached the dean?