GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,364
1 members and 1,363 guests
asamathattso539

Old 09-14-2021, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I might have found where I want my letters to be!

I know that it's a big no-no to say where you're planning on expressing interest, but I am just so excited about the fact that I think I found the place I want to call my sisterhood!

How did you know that you had found your org when you did? What were your feelings?

If there was a specific org that you were planning on rushing from day 1, what was your reason behind it? If you researched a number of them first, what were the things that you were looking for in one to join?
Old 09-17-2021, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Back in the Stone Age when I rushed, our rush was deferred for a year. Had I rushed as a Freshman immediately coming to a large university and rushing at that time, my experience would quite likely have been different. But I had a year to look over the six Panhellenic sororities as they also had that time to look over perspective members. Ialso researched carefully the activities outside their sororities that the various members were involved in. I did also look at the national reputations that all six groups had. This for life after college. I had also already met many of the girls and had a pretty good idea of their reputations on campus and what their priorities were. Mine were high standards of academic achievement, high standards of reputation, diversity within the groups in terms of majors, interests, and the like, and well-rounded members. I decided that I would likely be happy in any of my top three groups, and indeed all three invited me to their preference. Chi Omega was my first choice from the get-go, and I felt very fortunate that they extended me a bid. But my other pref group was a close second. And the group that I declined their invitation to for pref was right up there. Honestly, any of these would have been a good group for me. BUT!!!!! I also kept a very open mind, knowing I was in a very competitive situation and took nothing for granted! There were many, many high quality young women rushing and very few slots to fill. That was before the days of RFM and a very high likelihood of being placed. I did not assume anything and think that it is a very bad idea to do so, both then and now. IMO it is very important to know who you are in terms of your values and what you hope to have in a sorority experience. I wish you the best!

Chi Omega
Old 09-18-2021, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's important to research each organization prior to going through recruitment, but I would really advise you to still keep an open mind. I also did my research prior to rush and had my top two sororities picked out - one because their philanthropy is something deeply personal and important to me, and the other because I knew some of the girls and thought I had a lot in common with them, and that I would fit in really well. But when I did go through recruitment I didn't feel at home with either of those organizations and instead found my home in a sorority I hadn't really put much thought into. My organization's philanthropies are not causes I would have been passionate about until I joined, and I didn't know any of my sisters before recruitment. But I remember, from the very first recruitment event that I just felt like this was the place for me - these were my people. It was an instant, natural connection. The first girl I spoke to wound up being my big and I'm forever grateful to have her in my life. So do your research but don't let it blind you from other organizations.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
I think it's important to research each organization prior to going through recruitment, but I would really advise you to still keep an open mind. I also did my research prior to rush and had my top two sororities picked out - one because their philanthropy is something deeply personal and important to me, and the other because I knew some of the girls and thought I had a lot in common with them, and that I would fit in really well. But when I did go through recruitment I didn't feel at home with either of those organizations and instead found my home in a sorority I hadn't really put much thought into. My organization's philanthropies are not causes I would have been passionate about until I joined, and I didn't know any of my sisters before recruitment. But I remember, from the very first recruitment event that I just felt like this was the place for me - these were my people. It was an instant, natural connection. The first girl I spoke to wound up being my big and I'm forever grateful to have her in my life. So do your research but don't let it blind you from other organizations.
I believe OnAMission is looking at non-NPC orgs, so this advice may not really apply here.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-18-2021, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
Back in the Stone Age when I rushed, our rush was deferred for a year. Had I rushed as a Freshman immediately coming to a large university and rushing at that time, my experience would quite likely have been different. But I had a year to look over the six Panhellenic sororities as they also had that time to look over perspective members. Ialso researched carefully the activities outside their sororities that the various members were involved in. I did also look at the national reputations that all six groups had. This for life after college. I had also already met many of the girls and had a pretty good idea of their reputations on campus and what their priorities were. Mine were high standards of academic achievement, high standards of reputation, diversity within the groups in terms of majors, interests, and the like, and well-rounded members. I decided that I would likely be happy in any of my top three groups, and indeed all three invited me to their preference. Chi Omega was my first choice from the get-go, and I felt very fortunate that they extended me a bid. But my other pref group was a close second. And the group that I declined their invitation to for pref was right up there. Honestly, any of these would have been a good group for me. BUT!!!!! I also kept a very open mind, knowing I was in a very competitive situation and took nothing for granted! There were many, many high quality young women rushing and very few slots to fill. That was before the days of RFM and a very high likelihood of being placed. I did not assume anything and think that it is a very bad idea to do so, both then and now. IMO it is very important to know who you are in terms of your values and what you hope to have in a sorority experience. I wish you the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
I'm a nontraditional (online) and older student, currently pursuing my masters, so my choices are much more limited to begin with.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Online? Oh gee, I bet I know where she'll end up.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
LOL! Yes, should be a very big surprise!
Old 09-19-2021, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Where's that?
Old 09-19-2021, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAMission View Post
Where's that?
There are only a few groups that meet your criteria and situation.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
There are only a few groups that meet your criteria and situation.
Collegiate, that’s true. Non collegiate, there are quite a number of options!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAMission View Post
Collegiate, that’s true. Non collegiate, there are quite a number of options!
Considering NPC, Divine 9 and MCGs, that lets out about 40 or so...so it's a generous number...
Old 09-20-2021, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Considering NPC, Divine 9 and MCGs, that lets out about 40 or so...so it's a generous number...
I have no interest in NPC. maybe an alumi chapter of a D9 Org or MCG...but like I said, there are many options out there for someone in my position, just not many collegiate ones.