GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,257
3 members and 1,254 guests
JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-01-2020, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Pi Phi alum, I love that they gave each chapter to ability to decide what is best for their own chapter. One size does not fit all and I think this helps recognize that.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. ^^
Old 08-02-2020, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Wait, so... doesn't this policy simply say: chapters can choose to recruit legacies in any way they want?

How is this any different from eliminating a national "leg up" legacy policy altogether?

And people think there should be another option: eliminating the first invitational-round courtesy but keeping the top of the bid list option...

So what's to stop a chapter from reporting option #3 to the national org (treating all PNMs the same, regardless of legacy status), but putting legacies on the top of the bid list if they make it to preference?

It seems to me like Pi Phi has seen the fallout from other orgs and is trying to dress up the same change as something else to appease their members.

Unless I'm reading this wrong? ::shrugs::

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-02-2020 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, nothing will stop any chapter (even the ones with the new policy) from following the old policy. Membership selection is rarely publicized.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Actually, nothing will stop any chapter (even the ones with the new policy) from following the old policy. Membership selection is rarely publicized.
Right. So again, what's the difference?

If I'm reading this right, both Pi Phi and the other orgs who have gotten rid of their national legacy policies are all saying the same thing: we're leaving it up to the individual chapters.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-03-2020, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

If the chapter chooses one of the old legacy options, they will be held to it if a mad mama calls because her daughter wasn't on the first bid list. They won't be if they choose the newer option.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
If the chapter chooses one of the old legacy options, they will be held to it if a mad mama calls because her daughter wasn't on the first bid list. They won't be if they choose the newer option.
So if membership selection is rarely publicized, then that means mad mama wouldn't know which system the chapter is following, correct? So what justification would she have for being mad? Unless Pi Phi plans on publicizing which chapters are following which option?

And is the only goal with these policies to allow mad mamas to berate chapters when their daughters aren't selected for membership? If so, it seems like a policy that isn't worth supporting. ::shrugs::

@~/~~~~
Old 08-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Of course they'll know which policy they're following.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Of course they'll know which policy they're following.
Of course? Why? Curious.

Does Pi Phi intend to disseminate this information for each chapter to all alumnae?

@~/~~~~
Old 08-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Probably so.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
I don't disagree that there's much more to be done to foster a diverse membership, but I still think legacy preferential treatment is unfair.
In the very early 1990s NPC groups were also grappling with the issue of diversity, although not to the intense extent of today's concerns and demands. Recent readings of online-archived NPC magazines from that era confirmed what I remember of that era, when I served several area collegiate chapters.

Personally, I think many sorority chapters have long given healthy promotion to being as diverse as possible given the choice of some WOC preferring not to become members of an NPC group [as carnation and others here on GC describe].

Last edited by Cheerio; 08-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
In the very early 1990s NPC groups were also grappling with the issue of diversity, although not to the intense extent of today's concerns and demands. Recent readings of online-archived NPC magazines from that era confirmed what I remember of that era, when I served several area collegiate chapters.
You think what the NPCs are facing right now is "intense"? I beg to differ.

I would be curious to know what those NPC magazines of the 90s are confirming for you, though. Care to share?

Quote:
Personally, I think many sorority chapters have long given healthy promotion to being as diverse as possible given the choice of some WOC preferring not to become members of an NPC group [as carnation and others here on GC describe].
Can you clarify this statement?

Do some chapters promote diversity and inclusion? Sure. But to pretend like most of them do is laughable, and I don't just mean in terms of welcoming different races.

Do a Google image search on "Panhellenic bid day". Scroll for a bit. How many WOC do you see? How many young women are in a wheelchair? How many young women are curvier or have a little more weight on them? How many young women aren't picture-perfect (straight) white girls?

Seriously. Look at the photos and tell me what you see. And then we're going to claim that we're welcoming to everyone, and "if those 'other' girls aren't joining, it's because they choose not to!"? Even if they're choosing not to, do you think it might have something to do with the system? With how we recruit? With some of our practices and procedures? With how we present ourselves? With who we choose to exclude?

Either way, let's not act like ALL WOC are turning away from NPCs simply because they want to join a BGLO. Let's also not pretend that WOC who join NPCs aren't experiencing microaggressions from their own sisters. It happens. I've seen it happen and I've heard people say that it's happened to them.

We could all be doing sooo much better. Acting like we don't need to is the real issue here.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-04-2020, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think you can speak for any chapter except your own.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Replying to Cheerio’s comment about the 1990’s & not quoting because my browser stinks......

Agree 100%! Funny (or horrifying) story: I was a traveling consultant for my national organization in the the early 1990’s. We had a beautiful, amazing, super-awesome WOC on the front page of our national magazine that year. (I LOVE this woman & am SSSOOO glad she is my sister!) We met earlier in our active collegiate years at convention, and this is important to note for the story.

One of my first trips as a consultant was to a mid size southern school for rush. (Yes rush, it wasn’t recruitment yet). These very white, very sheltered girls were having a bit of a breakdown because the first WOC was registered for NPC rush on their campus, and they legitimately did not know what to do about it. Talk about a long weekend of inclusion training......When I brought up the fact that my African-American friend was on the cover of our magazine, they really and honestly thought that she was a planted model and not really my sister. I had to politely tell them that no, she is real and is YOUR sister too, not just mine.

I am proud of all of our GLO’s for continuing to evolve over the last 30 years. Do we have a long way to go? YES! But we are moving forward.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think you can speak for any chapter except your own.
That's what you got out of my post? Oh, OK.

@~/~~~~