GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,512
4 members and 2,508 guests
TLLK

Old 01-17-2003, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Cotton Fitzsimmons- Basket Ball Coach

Clarence Kelly-Director of the FBI

Johnny Dare, Mike Murphy, Dave Stewart, Kurt Merz, Radio Persons

Executive Director of LXA - 2

Len Dawson, NFL Hall of Fame

Roger Maris, Hank Bauer, Mickey Mantle Major League Base Ball.

But The Most Important, is and was:

Harry S. Truman, President who I said many years ago would go down as one of the Greatest Presidents!

Da Was I right or what!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2003, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
Talked to Kid the other day- he is coming in for Derby again and I get to go too!!! FUN TIMES!

I hope Justin Timberlake is there- I think he is hot since he dissed Britney in his last video.

I have met a lot of sports people lately=
Rick Pitino
Tubby Smith
Travis Ford
Jeff Shephard
Rex Chapman

(No more going to the philanthropies for sports!)

OMG!!!!! I'm prolly the only person on here who knows who Travis Ford is. I am so in love with him!!!!!!! AWWWW!!

Anyway, I havent' met any one famous. Unless you count Billy Ray Cyrus(country music singer/actor), who went to my high school. When a sorta friend died he came and paid for all of it so her family could rebuild their house. So that was really sweet. Other than that......that's it.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I've just met Nelson Mandela, Thabo Mbeki, and Jacob Zuma last week at the African National Congress 91st anniversary celebration. Woohoo.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UKDaisy

OMG!!!!! I'm prolly the only person on here who knows who Travis Ford is. I am so in love with him!!!!!!! AWWWW!!
Sorry Daisy, you're not the only one Travis was a cutie but he's no Kyle Macy!

You know how some people have rooms dedicated to their favorite team? Well, I've got Travis' 93-93 UK card in a frame on the wall in my UK Room (along with a ton of other stuff, including a piece of the '96 floor.)

Christin
Old 01-17-2003, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay- I am in love with Travis Ford AND Jeff Shephard so meeting them I was scoping for rings.. but they were so busy saying hi to everyone... aww I thought I was alone.

Also who didn't love Cameron Mills?

Facebook

Last edited by ilovemyglo; 01-17-2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
i've met cameron mills(his aunt taught at my school and she would go to a game every once in a while). . .

other famous people. . .

the lead singer from LFO
N'Sync-when they were doing mall tours in Dallas
Cal Ripken Jr
Emmitt Smith, Deon Sanders, Troy Aikman
tim mcgraw
dixie chicks-when they sang in ft worth
hugo-lead singer from tantric
puff daddy
roseanne barr-she's funnier in person
dave chapelle
Old 01-17-2003, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I met George Takai (from Star Trek) when he spoke at a Student Council convention at my high school. He was really nice and has a cool voice. He's the only famous person I've ever met.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I know who Travis Ford is, too Though sorry, UK fans...I didn't like him-hehe. I grew up rooting for IU.

Famous people:

-Puck, David, Melissa, and Nathan from the Real World spoke at BG for a Dance Marathon fundraiser and Steering Committee got to hang out with them afterwards. David and Nathan were very cool.
-Violent Femmes
-Antonio Daniels (did play for the Spurs, I'm not sure if he still does)
-Alan Jackson and Diamond Rio
-Kyle Petty (race car driver) had a lakehouse next door to my grandparents
-The guys from O.A.R.
-Assorted Cincy Reds and Bengals

The two best:
-Mark McGwire-the bar I used to work at in Cincy was frequented by Reds players after games. I used to chat with Sean Casey and his wife, and jokingly told them if they brought in Mark McGwire (whom I LOVE) I'd buy their dinners for the rest of the season. Sure enough, they brought him in with them the next time they played the Cards at home. Not paying any attention (Mark had his back to me) I walk up, say something obnoxious to the table as usual, and then said (classically), "Holy shit, you're Mark McGwire." Great first impression Anyhow, he was totally cool, gave me a hug when they left (yeah!) and signed autographs for us.
-George Clooney. Yes ladies, I've sat on his lap! Granted, I was seven, but hey...LOL. When he was on the "Facts of Life" we were touring a studio his dad was shooting in on a field trip, and George was there. My best friend and I freaked out, being the little TV junkies we were, and had a picture taken with him. I had totally forgotten about it until my old teacher found the pic a few years ago and hung it up in her class. My little cousin told me about it, so I had to go get a look. Damn, if I had only known...Sigh
Old 01-17-2003, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

When I lived in Santa Barbara (Cali) as a toddler,
Gene Hackman was one of our neighbors.

My mom used to do massage therapy, and one of her clients was the wife of the VP of Warner Bros. She saw me as a little girl & said I should be in the movies. Unfortunately, my mom ignored her advice.

Another of my mom's clients was Mary Lou Retton (Olympic Gold Medalist in the 80s- Gymnastics). She was very nice & we still have a personalized autographed picture of her. She ended up starring in low-budget drug store commercials LOL.

This doesn't count for me- but my Aunt & Uncle have had dinner with George Bush, Sr.,* George Bush, Jr., Ronald Reagan, and one other former president (can't think of who right now). Let's just say my Aunt & Uncle are OBSESSIVE Republicans & they donated mucho $$$ to George W. Bush's campaign.

I also saw (but didn't meet up-close) Darryl Hammond from Saturday Night Live when he performed on campus during my freshman "Welcome Week". He was even funnier in person! He's the one who does the impressions of Bill Clinton & Al Gore, etc.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:38 AM

I answered this post quite a while ago, but since it has popped up again, this one occurred to me while watching a TV commercial the other night.

When I was directing some NFL football for NBC years ago, I had a very nice chat with Howie Long at a Raiders practice prior to a Raiders/Broncos game.

Very bright fellow, and one of only a few professional athletes who really impressed me with intelligence as well as athletic ability.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
I grew up outside of LA and I know I met a bunch of tv personalities, actors/actresses, athletes. The people that I have met that I can remember are:

Ricky Schroeder - from Silver Spoons, and more recently NYPD Blue. I met him at his 13th (? I think) birthday party. I was REALLY young and all I know is what my mom told me - that I followed him around the entire night telling him that I loved him and wanted to marry him. Who doesn't??

Harry Connick, Jr. (on SEVERAL occasions) and Jody Foster - my little brother was the stand in for the lead kid in the movie Little Man Tate. I was like 10 or 11 and was just learning how to play the piano and where ever they were filming, Harry had to have a piano near by - he was working on a new album I think - anyway, I actually got to sit down at the paino with him while he played! He's just an amazing person. So down to earth and not to mention a total HOTTIE!

Hulk Hogan - I live in St. Pete, FL and he lives out in Clearwater. He also does a lot of promotional stuff with a car dealership I used to work at so I saw him there a few times.

Lenny Kravitz - My senior year of high school, one of my classes went to NYC and when we went to see Miss Siagon, he was there.

Sarah-Jessica Parker and Mathew Broderick - That same trip to NYC we went to this deli (I can't remember the name of it, but I know that it's the deli in the movie When Harry Met Sally). They were eating lunch together - two of the nicest people I have ever met.

I also grew up outside of Cleveland, Ohio and there were a bunch of Cavs players that lived in my town. The only one I can remember is Brad Doughrety (sp?). This was back in the early/mid-90's.

My dad's a sports junkie, especially basketball so I've met a bunch of old Laker players and a few Texas Rangers.

I went to Stetson University, and I've met Chipper Jones from the Atlanta Braves - he went to school at Stetson, although I don't think he finished. I met him during alumni weekend - he was at the local bar getting wasted.

Probably one of the most interesting, at least I think so, is my Dad. WAY back in the day he was on The Young & The Restless and Days of our Lives.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
...But The Most Important, is and was:

Harry S. Truman, President who I said many years ago would go down as one of the Greatest Presidents!
Or at least as he usually is referred to in Masonic circles: Most Worshipful Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Missouri, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (AF & AM). If you wanna read an outstanding book about Brother Truman's Masonic career, read Brother Truman by Allen E. Roberts.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-17-2003, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp

But The Most Important, is and was:

Da Was I right or what!

I've been to Truman's "Little White House" in Key West ( now a museum) and saw a listing of the organizations he was a member of. I saw Lambda Chi Alpha but I also saw Acacia listed. I was a little confused. Anyone know how he did this?

As for celebs:
I've been very close to many (as in the same room) but never actually met them. I'd feel like a dork going up to them and I wouldn't want to disturb them.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMiami

I've been to Truman's "Little White House" in Key West ( now a museum) and saw a listing of the organizations he was a member of. I saw Lambda Chi Alpha but I also saw Acacia listed. I was a little confused. Anyone know how he did this?
When Acacia was founded it was originally a requirement for membership that a man have taken his Masonic obligations (i.e. the obligation for the Entered Apprentice degree, at the very least, though it's probable that it meant the obligations for the Fellowcraft and Master Mason degrees). That requirement was dropped later on but Masonic lodges in campuses where there are Acacia chapters sponsor or assist them today, such as using the local Masonic lodge for initiation, etc.

Brother Truman was made an honorary member of Acacia before it joined the NIC. He later was initiated into Lambda Chi Alpha.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-17-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Gracias AlphaSigOU!