GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,785
0 members and 1,785 guests
No Members online

Old 01-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

And those may be fake people too.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elip...sis View Post
Correct. Just because they change the rule doesn't require a bid be issued, they'd still be going through recruitment again and all the same risks apply.

For those that I know and myself, our new member period was VASTLY different than our active membership treatment.
New member activities and time frame vary between organizations and college campuses. This sounds more like a organizational issue or campus problem, not an NPC problem.
As I understand it, the NPC is the governing body made up of the member organizations. The member organizations propose and agree on rules such as a the one you are petitioning against. You essentially would need to get the majority of organizations to agree with you before such a change could be made.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Some could, nothing on the internet is perfect, but prior to starting this petition and reading those comments I never even thought about the transfer students not being able to be a part of their sisterhood.

It opened my own mind on how I was so focused just on those dropping that I didn't think about those losing their sisters for another school.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
New member activities and time frame vary between organizations and college campuses. This sounds more like a organizational issue or campus problem, not an NPC problem.
As I understand it, the NPC is the governing body made up of the member organizations. The member organizations propose and agree on rules such as a the one you are petitioning against. You essentially would need to get the majority of organizations to agree with you before such a change could be made.
I've tried talking to my former organization about such an idea and they directed me to the NPC. I understand that, it's not that I expect the change to happen quickly, I just want the organizations to be aware that this is something that they could benefit from. Not only would they have happier members, higher alumnae involvement, they could make money. Imagine if it was only 300 young women who transferred or dropped- they go through recruitment again and pay dues again versus no dues coming in from them at all.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Um, benefits? No. Here's what would go down.

New member 1: "Crap! I got my second choice and was initiated and now there's a space in the org I wanted! I'll claim harassment, quit, and join them."

New member 2: "I didn't realize there are so many dogs in my sorority. They must've been in the kitchen during recruitment. I want to join a better group!"

New member 3: "My sorority at this college isn't the best of the best. I will rush again at another college and get into the best one."

Etc.

And you think that the NPC members would rush to okay this and pick up a bunch of women like my examples?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not saying that these women have to do anything other than choose to disaffiliate.

They sign an agreement barring them from disclosing ritual secrets and go about their recruitment a second and last time.

There are "bad eggs" in every organization that's just what happens. Even with going through recruitment one time.

Sometimes being a part of the wrong organization can bring out the worst in people. All it takes is being around the right people showing support to cultivate young women into the best and brightest that the Greek System demands.

I feel like it's necessary to say that disaffiliating and dropping isn't easy for someone who WANTS to be a part of a sisterhood. I feel like the women who WANT to be a part of a sisterhood would happily and respectfully take the second chance and make the best of it. It's not easy being one of the vocal people about this either.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

NPC or really. most organizations:"Hey! Let's jump on this petition right away! Yes, let's actually listen to what a bunch of imaginary people and a few non-members have to say even though it'll create a ton of drama and maybe even a few suits if we pass it!"
Old 01-18-2016, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you really think this all the way through before you started the petition business (which is a whole other bucket of worms, FWIW. It seems like there are more and more online petitions popping up every.single.day that have little or no impact on any given issue, so what is the point, anyway?)?

I don't actually understand what it is that you're after here. You don't need greek letters to "find a sisterhood".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-18-2016, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand why you're so aggressive and suggesting that the people who signed the petition are fake?

I know for a fact at least half are active in their organization.

To be perfectly honest, there could be suits without it should the women who drop and disaffiliate due to mistreatment feel that strongly about it.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Anybody think she was the kind of kid who whined until her parents gave in?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elip...sis View Post

To be perfectly honest, there could be suits without it should the women who drop and disaffiliate due to mistreatment feel that strongly about it.
Uh, no - wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. Membership is VOLUNTARY in a private organization. You really need to do a whole lot more research before you going spouting off about "mistreatment".

My gosh, time for popcorn?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Did you really think this all the way through before you started the petition business (which is a whole other bucket of worms, FWIW. It seems like there are more and more online petitions popping up every.single.day that have little or no impact on any given issue, so what is the point, anyway?)?

I don't actually understand what it is that you're after here. You don't need greek letters to "find a sisterhood".
The petition is more of a visual manifestation to show organizations and the NPC that this is something that warrants a discussion. I understand that letters aren't necessary, but this is for those who want those letters and the bond even after dropping, disaffiliating, or transferring schools.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Then they shouldn't have dropped, disaffiliated, etc.

And of course I feel that most of your signees are fake!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand why there is so much aggression. It's incredibly rude and disrespectful. Lawsuits against an org or chapter are actually possible.
It really doesn't require any of this hostility, having adult conversations with opposing viewpoints is possible.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Why are you posting something directed to the NPC in the Locals forum? Did you realize that as long as a NPC sorority new member drops her membership before initiation, she will be eligible to rush again? If she becomes dissatisfied after initiation she should try to work out her differences with the organization she promised to cherish. It's called being a responsible adult.