GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,328
3 members and 2,325 guests
aamanthalittle3, Cookiez17, Low D Flat

Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
This.

I don't see it being just about eating disorders. It has to do with societal values. And I don't want to go into a huge rant, but it irks me to no end that women are always first judged by appearance, then by who they are. Even at the inauguration, there was so much talk about what the FLOTUS and her daughters were WEARING. Which designer made their coats?? Who cares??? I really like and admire Michelle Obama but I'd like and admire her if she didn't have great arms and if she didn't dress sharply. I like and admire her because she's a very intelligent, warm and seemingly compassionate woman. Anybody know who designed the suit the President wore? NO. Anybody pay any males attention on the red carpet?? NO. And we do it to ourselves too. We are incredibly judgmental of each other.
I know what suit POTUS wore! It was Brooks Brothers--just like almost every other President since BB was founded.

While I do agree that women are judged first by appearance, and it can be very problematic, in the cases you mentioned, it's more finance-based. There's a LOT of money to be made in women's fashion--apparently the sales of the J.Crew and Kate Spade coats Sasha and Malia wore skyrocketed. Even a relatively inexpensive dress from Zara sold like hotcakes once Kate Middleton wore it. I think that the emphasis on women's fashion is more marketing than anything else. Women will buy something if they like it on a public figure...men, not as much.

Back to the OP--the writer was, in my opinion, overreacting. Let's face it--triggers are everywhere for everybody. Part of recovery, whether it's from an ED, mental illness, or even a death in the family, is becoming resilient to MOST triggers. It seems like the author of the post may have a long way to go.

Also, I didn't even know women's only hours were a thing at college gyms. Is it to protect ED patients, or for Muslim or married Orthodox Jewish women who can't have their hair uncovered when men are around?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I know what suit POTUS wore! It was Brooks Brothers--just like almost every other President since BB was founded.

While I do agree that women are judged first by appearance, and it can be very problematic, in the cases you mentioned, it's more finance-based. There's a LOT of money to be made in women's fashion--apparently the sales of the J.Crew and Kate Spade coats Sasha and Malia wore skyrocketed. Even a relatively inexpensive dress from Zara sold like hotcakes once Kate Middleton wore it. I think that the emphasis on women's fashion is more marketing than anything else. Women will buy something if they like it on a public figure...men, not as much.

Back to the OP--the writer was, in my opinion, overreacting. Let's face it--triggers are everywhere for everybody. Part of recovery, whether it's from an ED, mental illness, or even a death in the family, is becoming resilient to MOST triggers. It seems like the author of the post may have a long way to go.

Also, I didn't even know women's only hours were a thing at college gyms. Is it to protect ED patients, or for Muslim or married Orthodox Jewish women who can't have their hair uncovered when men are around?
I absolutely agree. This poor woman apparently is still suffering greatly from her disorder, as she recounted in the article. She still counts calories religiously and is very sensitive to these stimuli. I hope she is still receiving treatment so that she can withstand the multitude of triggers that bombard modern women in our daily lives. Speaking out about the t-shirt may be a good sign for her, though, rather than internalizing those feelings and hurting herself with more poor eating behaviors. It's a continuum. Maybe her next step will be to let it go.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSKsilver View Post
IFirst, I wished she didn't group the whole organization of Phi Sigma Kappa into this in the title. Maybe mention the school chapter of PSK, but not all of us. That's too much.
People who write articles like this usually don't understand the difference, and don't care to figure it out or be informed.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The bolded would make more sense. I can't imagine having to work out with your head covered. Sweat city!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri.girl View Post
It's really interesting that you say this, particularly because I wasn't aware that empathizing and understand were the same thing. Obviously I was wrong though, thanks for informing me.
You're so very welcome.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The bolded would make more sense. I can't imagine having to work out with your head covered. Sweat city!!!
There are also general modesty issues to keep in mind as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

Some women are just more comfortable working out without men around for a variety of reasons. The gym can be a hotbed for "street harassment"--it's like getting catcalled when you walk around or take public transit, but there is no escape route if you are mid-workout. Even if it's not so aggressive, the success of places like Curves shows us that self-consciousness is a serious problem in encouraging women to work out.

Whether or not it's the place of a university to accommodate these women is an open question in my mind, but certainly the demand is there.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

It's a hard thing to explain to guys, especially those who aren't pigs and don't understand what their buddies do FREQUENTLY. I was driving with my husband and a friend of his in my car and the guy rolled down the window and cat-called a girl. Right out of my car! I nearly kicked him out of the car, but then he'd have been within access of the girl. The fact that I was (and am) in my mid-40's when this happened made it all the more horrifying.

I've never cared about working out with guys, but some girls really do. The only reason it bugs me is the meat market the gym becomes on Thursday night. And speaking of that, words to live by: if you can see the pantyline of your thong, EVERYTHING you're wearing is too tight. But then those girls aren't worrying a whole lot about what the guys are saying to or about them. Possibly they worry about their next yeast infection...
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

In the 4 years I was at school, I worked out in the gym a total of.. three times? I stopped going because every time I was there I got hit on. It might have been ok if I wasn't called "baby" or if the pick-up lines were something better than, "You need help with that?" (referring to whatever piece of equipment I was using at the time). It's annoying, and a lot of times the "meatheads" of the gym look at it as a perfect time to show off their bodies so you'll drool over them and won't be able to turn them down. I've belonged to many gyms, and I've seen the same thing happen to other women. It can be uncomfortable in such a setting.

When I lived in MA, I belonged to a gym that had a women's only room. It was great - not only because there weren't any men around, but because there was only was equipment that women generally use (smaller free weights, cardio machines, and a handful of machines to work the arms, legs, and one for abs).

In some cases, I don't think it has to do with being self-conscious, but rather, it causes less of a distraction. I go to the gym to work out, and that's it. It's nice to know that I'm not going to get hit on by a guy who's only interested in me because he saw my butt moving up and down on the stairmaster.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

In some cases, I don't think it has to do with being self-conscious, but rather, it causes less of a distraction. I go to the gym to work out, and that's it. It's nice to know that I'm not going to get hit on by a guy who's only interested in me because he saw my butt moving up and down on the stairmaster.
Right, to be clear, I meant to call out two different phenomenon: one is an internal self-consciousness, and the other is having to deal with BS from men.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What's ED here? Erectile Dysfunction???

Last edited by naraht; 02-11-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Eating Disorder