GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 953
0 members and 953 guests
No Members online

Old 11-10-2017, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I read here a few years ago that Auburn ZTA (which is a strong chapter today) did a reorg/immediate recolonization in the early '90s in addition to having been dormant during part of the '70s.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I've also seen a chapter where a reorganization was done and some of the current members were made to go early alum while others were kept on as actives. I believe the national office pretty much ran that chapter's next recruitment. AWKWARD.
I saw that with a chapter in this state. They were gone for a very brief amount of time.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a sorority at my alma mater that seems to have made five tries at it, and I think they have dibs in any future expansion because they own their house, which is rare for this school. I'm guessing the house is a factor at Arizona.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I think success also at least partly depends on how conservative the school is with expansion, in the sense that they're really sure they need another chapter.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

AEPhi "regrouped" at Univ of Michigan in 2014-2015. I believe they are doing well. Tri-Sigma regrouped about a year ago at Univ of Virginia. I would love to hear about the details of these "quick-recolonizations."
Old 11-10-2017, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
As detailed as Irishpipes's list is, there are also "immediate recolonizations" (which used to be known as reorganizations) that may not have made the list. I don't think those are done anymore, because they usually don't work well and they create bitter feelings. However, if a chapter had a physical house and they didn't want to lose it, it was probably worth a try.

In those efforts, the current members would all be given alum status (and sometimes an opportunity to be interviewed by the national reps and remain active with the newly reconstituted group), and then nationals would recruit a whole new "clean slate" group of PNMs the next semester. Sigma Kappa did this at Maryland when I was there, and it worked great. That would have been 1984, I think. Both my chapter of initiation (Michigan) did this, and so did Maryland. Both times, the chapters eventually closed for real and they've both sucessfully recolonized after 10-15 year hiatuses. None of these intermediary reorganizations appear in Irishpipe's thread, and I know of 2-3 more with other groups at Michigan that aren't noted either.
I agree with what you said about Michigan. I think the three groups that aren't listed at Michigan are actually very good case studies. One of the groups came back too soon and I think is still trying to find its identity (Iota_JWH, I didn't see your post until after I posted this. I'm referring to AEPhi). I think your chapter is a good example of what you should do when you close for real. It will be interesting to see how Theta handles things.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I've also seen a chapter where a reorganization was done and some of the current members were made to go early alum while others were kept on as actives.
This is exactly what happened with DZ at DePauw and why it was such a cluster. The criterion was supposedly "commitment to the chapter," but it turned out to be "cool vs. uncool."
Old 11-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
AEPhi "regrouped" at Univ of Michigan in 2014-2015. I believe they are doing well. Tri-Sigma regrouped about a year ago at Univ of Virginia. I would love to hear about the details of these "quick-recolonizations."
Did ALL the current members have to go early alum? Because if not, it's a reorganization, not a recolonization.

Also, if I recall, the AEPhi thing at Michigan was actually the pledge class of the closed Theta chapter joining en masse (they hadn't been initiated, obviously) & their nationals weren't involved at all.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Please take note and read the press release from Tri Delta HQ: Tri Delta is suspending operations for at least four years, similar to what they did at UCLA last May. THEY ARE NOT CLOSING. The charter is not being pulled. And it won't take effect until May 2018, so perhaps irishpipes you would be kind enough to edit the NPC thread to reflect that? Because this is still an ongoing concern, an active chapter, and the actives (and new members who choose to be initiated) are still on campus. Let's not stick them in the ground just yet. Yes, I am "bone picking" and I am sensitive about this. Because...

I am close friends with several alumnae of this particular chapter. This is a painful time for them. So in a sense I do have a dog in the fight, even though I am not a Tri Delta alumna. I don't like to see my friends hurting.

Tri Delta owns their land on campus as do most of the older established chapters (Pi Phi and Theta came in 1917 so are celebrating centennials this year). Agreed - the facility is in need of updating. Perhaps they will embark on a capital campaign? I'm sure Tri Delta has plans for a successful return. I'm looking forward to it. I intend to do everything I can to support my Tri Delta panhellenic sisters. Just as I support my other NPC sisters.

My final word: Chuck Norris picked Tri Delta and that's all there is to say about that. Pansy love!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Please take note and read the press release from Tri Delta HQ: Tri Delta is suspending operations for at least four years, similar to what they did at UCLA last May. THEY ARE NOT CLOSING. The charter is not being pulled.
Is there any difference, other than terminology, between suspending operations and pulling a charter?
Old 11-12-2017, 03:22 PM

I'm confused, too. Especially since they unequivocally stated that the initiates left on campus after May will be "unaffiliated collegiate members." Most schools have minimum numbers for all recognized student orgs in general. How can a chapter exist as an org, albeit a suspended org, if there is no one in it? Couldn't they have just let the chapter age out, so to speak, and recolonize when the current members have all graduated? If they're only waiting 4 years I don't see the difference. I know that the house is a factor, but they could surely come to terms with a GLO or theme-house type group to rent it and vacate when they're ready to come back.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Did ALL the current members have to go early alum? Because if not, it's a reorganization, not a recolonization.

Also, if I recall, the AEPhi thing at Michigan was actually the pledge class of the closed Theta chapter joining en masse (they hadn't been initiated, obviously) & their nationals weren't involved at all.
I'm pretty sure it was a reorg, not a recolonization. From my understanding, that led to some problems within the chapter. A lot of the women who had originally pledged Theta did then pledge AEPhi, but they were very different than the older/initiated members of AEPhi (if they had been good fits for AEPhi, why didn't they join during fornal recruitment?). It seemed to me that AEPhi HQ actually WAS involved, as there was a lot of marketing done trying to make it seem like they were reinventing themselves. AEPhi was a very strong recruiting chapter before they closed and my impression was that that "reorg" was a recognition that they came back too soon. But I'm kind of cynical.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

I skimmed through this thread so forgive me if I missed the answer to my question: What happens to the new members (assuming they are not initiated yet)?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I skimmed through this thread so forgive me if I missed the answer to my question: What happens to the new members (assuming they are not initiated yet)?
They are released from their pledge and free to re-rush if they would like. I read on the other website that the new members were offered the opportunity to be initiated into Tri Delta and take alumna status at the end of the year if they wanted, but I don't have any confirmation of that.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
They are released from their pledge and free to re-rush if they would like. I read on the other website that the new members were offered the opportunity to be initiated into Tri Delta and take alumna status at the end of the year if they wanted, but I don't have any confirmation of that.
Thank you.