GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,320
4 members and 1,316 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib, JayhawkAOII

Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumGene View Post
It seems unlikely that you will find a school with only fraternities and no sororities.
Davidson College.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
The Kidd Kraddick in the Morning Show, a nationally syndicated radio show based here in Dallas addressed this issue this morning. One of their personalities, Jenna, is a Delta Gamma from Miami University. She claimed that there were no sorority houses at Miami due to "11 women living in the same house is a brothel". I called in to dispute it, but this show is notorious for not taking calls from male listeners. I was told they would pass on the information. Yeah, I'm sure.
I went to Miami, and yeah, the "brothel law" thing was pervasive. My roommate was a campus tour guide, and some of the guides would throw that out as a fun fact during the tours.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to mention that when I met with my university president about Greek life at my school - he told us that they didn't have sorority houses at his college because of the brothel law! And he looked very disappointed to find out that it wasn't true!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Building off of the brothel law rumor, a while back a woman on campus said that her sorority is called a women's fraternity because when her org was founded, a sorority was another word for a brothel. I've read that the word sorority didn't even exist until Gamma Phi Beta was founded... am I right in thinking she was ignorant/full of crap?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAlamb View Post
Building off of the brothel law rumor, a while back a woman on campus said that her sorority is called a women's fraternity because when her org was founded, a sorority was another word for a brothel. I've read that the word sorority didn't even exist until Gamma Phi Beta was founded... am I right in thinking she was ignorant/full of crap?
First of all... yes, she's full of crap

Just like fraternity comes from the Latin word 'frater' which means 'brother', sorority comes from the Latin word 'soror' which means 'sister'.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-14-2010, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I was aware of the greek roots, I just didnt know if it had a different connotation way back when. Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
First of all... yes, she's full of crap

Just like fraternity comes from the Latin word 'frater' which means 'brother', sorority comes from the Latin word 'soror' which means 'sister'.

Frater in turn is derived from the Ancient Greek Phrater which means something like family. That is why there are Women's Fraternities founded after the coining of the word sorority by Gamma Phi Beta. They are just using the Greek meaning of teh word rather then the Latin one.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Well, there was this fun thread.

But considering the other group on your campus is too old for that shiz, I would just tell her to get off her high horse and feed it some oats. The word didn't exist when they were founded.

Last edited by 33girl; 02-14-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, there was this fun thread.

But considering the other group on your campus is too old for that shiz, I would just tell her to get off her high horse and feed it some oats. The word didn't exist when they were founded.

Your link just leads me to the reply form for this thread

I will probably just let this slide since we are currently making huge efforts toward a stronger Panhellenic spirit . Hopefully the whole chapter doesn't think that sorority = brothel though!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Phooey, I fixed it. Try it now.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

hellas

hahaha kalimera vre gitonas i did meant to enter a chat page but i found myself in forum.. this story is not about hellas, is it ? i thought this was suppose to be hellenic page.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

You thought like lit.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
You thought like lit.
*dead*

Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Phooey, I fixed it. Try it now.
Thanks for the link! I wonder if other women's fraternities are teaching their new members similar stuff as ZTA?

(Not that I want to resurrect a dead horse just to beat it to death again )
Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've read that the word sorority didn't even exist until Gamma Phi Beta was founded... am I right in thinking she was ignorant/full of crap?
Yes, you are right in thinking that, but . . .

. . . meaning absolutely no disrespect to Gamma Phi Beta or Dr. Brown, the word "sorority" did exist before Gamma Phi Beta. Sir Thomas More used it in his writings around 1530. Granted, it was never as common a word as "fraternity" (which had a long use among religious communities prior to its use for what we think of as fraternities), but it when he suggested it in the 1870s for Gamma Phi Beta, Dr. Brown could have been drawing on a knowledge of More's writings. Of course, he also could have been completely unaware of the previous use of the word and simply did what someone before him had done -- gone back to the Latin sororitas and anglicized it in a manner similar to fraternitas.