GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,595
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, QJAJerrell
» Online Users: 1,841
2 members and 1,839 guests
Tridentia, Xidelt

Old 08-23-2004, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

What is Sigma Kappa like on your campus?

I know this is one of those touchy subjects, but bear with me...

I was just wondering what other Sigma Kappa chapters are like: how large their chapter is, what their reputation on campus is, have they won any awards recently, what they look like, what their personalities are like, what tier they would be considered to be in (if your school does that)...in short, everything and anything you can tell me!

I understand that all schools are different, and I'm sure there are schools where it is the "worst" house as well as some where they are the "best"

Please be honest. If they suck and you don't want to post it, PM me. If they're average, say that. Don't say "all the houses are wonderful," I already know that they are. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the different chapters are like.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
honestly.......I dont hear much about them, I know more about the ones in other chapters......... some dont stand out......there is one sorority that has a "barbie" rep but i wont name them....we have NO greek housing. why not post this in the Sigma Kappa Forum, you would get better answers.......
Old 08-23-2004, 06:54 AM

GreekGirl604, you will find as many answers as SK has active chapters. Unfortunately, these threads usually end up with a few hurt feelings when someone posts the "truth".

There are SK chapters with the best reputations on campus, the greatest girls, the superstars that everyone loves to be and be with. There are SK chapters that do well in academics, or athletics, or sisterhood, or philanthropy, or recruitment, or retention, but can't put the whole package together. There are SK chapters who do quite well, but because they are smaller or different, they don't get noticed in the campus big picture. There are also SK chapters who can't achieve quota and a stable membership; because they are perceived inadequate for whatever reasons, or have the "bad rep" on campus, or whatever. You'll find SK chapters who used to be top tier but now are lowest tier, and vice-versa. I can personally vouch for one SK chapter that used to be the lowest of the low tier on a campus for well over a decade. Now they are securely top tier and have maintained there for over a decade. From this example, let me assure you that reputations CAN change. Having said all of that, Hopefully SK is best for YOU and your sisters, and really, isn't that all that matters?

Panhellenically,
Christin

PS--My husband is a proud GDI grad of URI!
Old 08-23-2004, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AOIIalum
[B]GreekGirl604, you will find as many answers as SK has active chapters. Unfortunately, these threads usually end up with a few hurt feelings when someone posts the "truth".

I agree. I honestly don't know anyone from this org mostly because we didn't have it on our campus or in the immediate area. I know though what it's like when I hear negativity about my own org because of people's views from another campus. I don't think this thread is gonna go over too well.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

no Sigma Kappa at my school, but I did see a SK bumper sticker the other day at Target and a friend is a Sigma Kappa at Auburn
Old 08-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Well, my unbiased opinion is that they are the most successful, best looking, smartest overall and even the best athletes out of the sororities... and they're just nice girls. Kind of the types of girls that you'd take home to meet mom and dad for the most part.

Our White Rose was a Sig Kap this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone from their house walks away with it this year.

We're taking most of their house via charter bus to our bid party in a few weeks, and we've been paired with them 2 out of the lat 3 Greek Weeks. Your chapter at Central Oklahoma is great -- something for you to be proud of.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-23-2004, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
The SK chapter at my alma mater is so boring, you wouldn't even know it was there.

Oh, wait. That's 'cuz we don't have SK! My bad.

Kind of a silly question, IMHO.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Why does the reputation of other SK chapters of such importance to you? I agree, this IS a touchy subject, and all it will take is for someone to say "XY chapter really sucks," and whaddyaknow? There's an XY member on the boards and WW3 breaks out. Why not focus your energies on being excited about your chapter? I think the time to compare notes on reputations is at conventions and leadership workshops with other chapters. Not Greek Chat.

My $.02.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
We used to have a Sigma Kappa here at Cleveland State, and most of the ladies I know were great, but their Charter got pulled for some unknown reasons. I'm hoping one day they return here.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 08-23-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greencat
Why does the reputation of other SK chapters of such importance to you? I agree, this IS a touchy subject, and all it will take is for someone to say "XY chapter really sucks," and whaddyaknow? There's an XY member on the boards and WW3 breaks out. Why not focus your energies on being excited about your chapter? I think the time to compare notes on reputations is at conventions and leadership workshops with other chapters. Not Greek Chat.

My $.02.
Whoa, everyone, watch for the sun falling from the sky. I agree with greencat.

If you really want to know what awards they've won and such, look at the school's Greek life site or the student newspaper. And the chapters' own websites.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I'll bite.

The Sigma Kappas on our campus are pretty down to earth. They have a good sized chapter and are pretty athletic.

But alas... I can see this thread going no where good fast.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
I don't think this thread is a very good idea.....

(no offense)
Old 08-23-2004, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
The Sigma Kappas on my campus always gave the best sex...

psst...we don't have them on our campus but you get the point
Old 08-23-2004, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalAngel126
I don't think this thread is a very good idea.....
I agree.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to echo the sentiments of everyone else that this thread probably isn't a great idea. But I do understand your curiosity, so if you want to get a sense of what different chapters are like, I suggest taking a look at their websites, which are linked to from our national site.

And here you can find a list of our 2004 collegiate award winners.