GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,219
0 members and 1,219 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

7 MLB Players Who You'd Have Loved Having In Your Frat

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...g-in-your-frat

Quote:
Seeing as how the baseball season is winding down and school has just started up again, it's time to marry the two. What if some of our favorite baseball players went to college with us? Would we be friends with them? Would we hang out regularly?

Here's another crazy thought: What if some of the players we worship today were also our fraternity brothers? if you ask me, it'd be one fun time!

Is there anyone else (in sports, Hollywood, politics, etc.) that you'd love to have as a chapter brother/sister?

@~/~~~~
Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...g-in-your-frat

Is there anyone else (in sports, Hollywood, politics, etc.) that you'd love to have as a chapter brother/sister?
Why did I know Nick Swisher would be on this list? He was even the first person on the countdown, lol
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a reminder that fraternity men across the Greek world usually find the term "Frat" disrespectful. It really reflects poorly on the person using that term. They may not say anything to you, but it does bother most fraternity men.

Thanks for understanding.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTKE View Post
Just a reminder that fraternity men across the Greek world usually find the term "Frat" disrespectful. It really reflects poorly on the person using that term. They may not say anything to you, but it does bother most fraternity men.

Thanks for understanding.
I know, I know. I don't usually use it.. I just posted the title of the article as the thread title.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTKE View Post
As has been discussed many times here at GC, it's something of an overstatement to say that fraternity brothers "across the Greek world usually" find "frat" disrespectful or that it bothers "most" fraternity men. This can vary from fraternity to fraternity and campus to campus. In the NPHC part of the Greek world, the word "frat" is common and accepted, and judging from what people have said here at GC, there are plenty of campuses where the word is regularly used by fraternity members.

The idea that the word "frat" is disrespectful is a fairly recent one -- few people batted an eyelash at the word when I was in college -- and objection to the word is really based more on trying to avoid the "Animal House"/"frat boy" connotation that "frat" can carry than on the word being disrespectful. Go back before the 70s and 80s and you'll find national fraternity publications using the word informally.

And it's just silly to say that casual use of the word "frat" reflects poorly on the person using it.

/soapbox
Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Greg Maddux
Derek Lee
Ty Cobb
Babe Ruth
Bo Jackson

also, Darryl Strawberry. i recall him liking to party. he'd probably end up getting kicked out, though.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHwku View Post
Ty Cobb

Really? One of the most racist men to walk this planet? One of the dirtiest players to ever play baseball?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Really? One of the most racist men to walk this planet? One of the dirtiest players to ever play baseball?
I think there are lots of questions about just how accurate the stories of Ty Cobb's racism and dirty play are and how many were exaggerated or even fabricated by Al Stump, who ghost-wrote Cobb's autobiography and wrote Cobb: A Biography and various articles on Cobb.

Given his background, it would have been surprising if Ty Cobb wasn't racist to some degree, but I'm not sure "one of the most racist men to walk the planet" would have spoken out in favor of the integration professional sports in general and of the major leagues in particular at a time when the idea was still controversial, especially in the South.

Not saying he was a saint by any means, or that his views about segregation in sports might have been something that developed and progressed over time, but the same could be said of many people of his generation and background.