GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,664
1 members and 2,663 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

"Pairing" problems solved at Mizzou

Missouri Greeks vote on new competition changes
By John Sahly, Associate Editor.__ Posted April_05,_2005.
The Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils have proposed a change the groups said could make pairing houses for Homecoming and Greek Week less like a Kansas-Missouri Border Showdown and more like a friendly competition.

The change would attempt to emphasize philanthropy events, rather than house pairings. In a meeting Monday, the executive council discussed changing the system to eliminate “courting” and use a preference pairing system, President Jenn Watkins said.

Under the current system, sorority and fraternity houses sometimes spend more than $500 “courting,” or trying to persuade other houses to pair with them for Homecoming and Greek Week events.

Watkins said the changes are meant to eliminate the “heartbreak” some sororities feel if courting efforts do not pay off.

Watkins said houses spend their money on things ranging from making cakes for potential pairs to buying flowers. She said it’s difficult to regulate how much houses spend, because doing so requires houses to report their own expenditures.

“The current rule allows for only a $500 limit on courting and serenades,” said Margy Fischer, PHA vice president of public relations. “As executive councils, it’s very hard to monitor that.”

The council will meet again Tuesday for a final vote on the amendment. IFC will vote on the amendment today.

“Even though this amendment strays from tradition, this amendment will bring about positive change for the Greek community,” Watkins said.

The amendment would institute a change to the preference system, so that fraternities still would be paired according to size, ensuring equity in the number of fraternity and sorority participants.

But unlike past years, houses would only be allowed to seek partners by sending formally addressed letters that would first be submitted to the Department of Greek Life. After sending letters, both fraternities and sororities would submit a preference list of seven chapters for pairings.

In the immediate future, Watkins and IFC President Cameron Hill would pair up houses according to the preference sheets, but Watkins said a computer program that could match houses might be used in the future.

“It was tough for chapters to compete on an equal level,” Hill said. “There were arguments and it was just unnecessary. I know that chapters have spent more than the $500 limit.”

Fischer said MU is one of the only schools in the Big 12 that uses an open courting system and said there are many benefits to switching to the preference system.

“It still lets chapters know whom they’re going to be partnered with, but it provides a lot more control over the whole event,” Fischer said.

IFC will vote today by secret paper ballot. Hill said each of the 28 IFC chapters would have one vote.

“The exec board created it, but in the end it will come down to the chapter vote,” he said.

In order for the amendment to take effect, it would have to pass both councils.

Watkins said she is confident the amendment will pass in the Panhellic Council, but she is concerned IFC might be “set in their ways.”

Hill said he isn’t entirely sure the amendment will pass, but thinks it’s necessary.

“The chapter presidents understand the importance of this,” Hill said. “I have to think that it will pass.”

— News Editor Jenna Youngs contributed to this report.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The "Eliminating Courting" thread was started about this...

And I would hardly consider this "solved"... as Cameron said himself, IFC may not pass it... and I think there are going to be some panhellenic chapters who have been successful in their courting who will be hesitant to change it as well.

Last edited by STL Kappa; 04-06-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

SORRY MORONIC!

What does this have to do with Mo. Ks. relationships?

Damn, Kindergartners have better sense.

Courting is related to a Cousin trying to get in His Cousins Pants!

Legalese is BS. Now Pairing in trying to get parity makes more sense.

"COURTING" archain to say the very least. Mizzou Sports Sucks and name a Arena after a Walton who has Her work done by a Psuedo!

Way to Go Big Mizzou!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Our Greek Life committee always paired people according to relative # of members...

This year, I hear our chapter is paired with ATO and Delta Zeta.

Anyone who knows much about either of our organizations can already see that there may be problems with that (SN & ATO)
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-07-2005, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Anyone who knows much about either of our organizations can already see that there may be problems with that (SN & ATO)
V.M.I.?

Do I win anything?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey now... not ALL our sports suck... our baseball team is something to be damn proud of this season!! (I'm a baseball girl... so that's all that matters to me.)

As for our arena... I'm going to have to agree... only thing worse than naming it after Paige (who went to USC and has NOTHING to do with MU) is naming it the Mizzou Arena... AWFULLY ORIGINAL.

Quote:
The Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils have proposed a change the groups said could make pairing houses for Homecoming and Greek Week less like a Kansas-Missouri Border Showdown and more like a friendly competitio
As for that... all I can say is sometimes (it definitely happened for Greek Week this year!) courting turns houses against each other just like Border Wars cause kU and MU to hate each other. (kansas is not capitalized because it is "not a proper name nor is it a proper place"... and that's not my opinion, that's what we're taught at orientation as freshmen... )
Old 04-07-2005, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

BOO HOO, being an ex-Misserian and now a Kanassan, We still Live in Gods Country.

When Furoit was there, Football was Great, and When Norm was there BasketBall was Great.

Quinn needs to get a buzz cut for sure and quit crying, bounce his ass.

Hell, The PSU Gorillas have better Football Teams, and UMKC Kangaroos Have better Basketball Teams.

Base Ball, Lets Go Gorillas!!!!!!!!

Should have been Named after Norm instead of the floor, guess that was the Walton S**t coming out and Their Dumb assed Daughter.

Anti Walton Member here! Can You tell!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Anti Walton Member here! Can You tell!
You're preaching to the choir on that one... the last thing we need in Columbia is another Wal-Mart...