GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,167
4 members and 1,163 guests
flamboyanttree, John, LaneSig

Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

How hard is it to get into a frat.

I am a freshman and Rush starts in a couple of weeks. Im a little worried because I am not the type that is 100% outgoing. Im not a weird shy kid who doesnt say anything and once I get to know people I am actually really talkative, but I am just a tad bit reserved when it comes to meeting new people. Is this going to have a major impact on my chances? Is it hard to get into a frat or do most people get in(what % of people get in)? Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

42.435% of rushees get in.

Seriously, though, there's no way that we can tell you what your chances are. We don't know you, your campus, or the organizations that are on campus.

There are many different types of people in many different fraternities, though. This includes the "quiet" types.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It is 0% if you don't give it a shot.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

This is an insane question because it can vary. Some fraternities if they are struggling will literally "blanket bid", meaning they will give a bid to anybody who stops by. Some fraternities are so selective that they have 95% of their pledge class together before school even starts from summer rush and dirty rushing.

As for being shy, work to fix that! That will be an issue with some fraternities because outgoing kids have a much higher advantage and sometimes you could pale in comparison with a talkative kid. But I find that when people act defeated, telling themselves that "I'm shy, can't do anything about it", they are going to stay the same. Force yourself to talk more, it would be scary at first obviously but after enough forcing it will probably come naturally.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, rushing a fraternity will require some social skills. Why wouldn't you want to put yourself out there, anyway? If you put aside your nerves and hang in there with the conversations and show those guys who you really are, you will have a better experience.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKU28 View Post
Unfortunately, rushing a fraternity will require some social skills.
Being "a tad bit reserved when it comes to meeting new people" and not being "100% outgoing" =/= lacking social skills.

Laminator, as others have said, no one can tell you your chances. We can tell you go, be youself, put your best (and most confident) foot forward and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Being "a tad bit reserved when it comes to meeting new people" and not being "100% outgoing" =/= lacking social skills.

Laminator, as others have said, no one can tell you your chances. We can tell you go, be youself, put your best (and most confident) foot forward and see what happens.

I understand what he means about being reserved. What I mean to say is that you can't worry about how reserved you may be around people when you are trying to make a good impression. It may be hard to break, but after a while, meeting new people is not so intimidating. Rush is a great opportunity to break out of your shell.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to give kudos to GreekChat for not going ballistic on the kid for saying "frat" instead of fraternity.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

When I asked for a % I kind of meant a more general answer like 25% 50%. Let me rephrase it, do most people who rush get at least one bid or is it a small chance to receive a bid. I know that it depends on the type of person you are but Im talking about the entire rush population as a whole. Also do GPAs have any significance in the rushing process because I have a 4.0 (just curious). Thanks again guys.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKU28 View Post
I understand what he means about being reserved. What I mean to say is that you can't worry about how reserved you may be around people when you are trying to make a good impression. It may be hard to break, but after a while, meeting new people is not so intimidating. Rush is a great opportunity to break out of your shell.
Right, and I agree. I just wouldn't call that "lacking in social skills," that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I would like to give kudos to GreekChat for not going ballistic on the kid for saying "frat" instead of fraternity.
I've been holding my breath.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laminater View Post
When I asked for a % I kind of meant a more general answer like 25% 50%. Let me rephrase it, do most people who rush get at least one bid or is it a small chance to receive a bid. I know that it depends on the type of person you are but Im talking about the entire rush population as a whole. Also do GPAs have any significance in the rushing process because I have a 4.0 (just curious). Thanks again guys.
Let me reiterate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There's no way that we can tell you what your chances are. We don't know you, your campus, or the organizations that are on campus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I've been holding my breath.
Hopefully, a "country" reference makes its way in...

Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is literally an impossible question. Just go rush. It is unbelievably dependent on campus culture and even then on EACH individual fraternity on your campus.

The way to best maximize your chance is to be honest with your personality and the chapter personalities. We've all seen that guy that is dead set on pledging the "jock" fraternity but has never played a day of sports in his life. He has no shot of getting a bid at that chapter, but if he had been honest with himself he might have found a chapter that fits his personality better.

Lastly, I know at my school GPA had absolutely no significance in fraternity rush (sorority rush is a different ballgame). I doubt they knew the GPAs of a single kid they pledged. I also do not think a high GPA would make them reconsider a kid who they had written off. If there is a colony however, and national representatives are picking the pledges, GPA would probably matter.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Hopefully, a "country" reference makes its way in...
Never call a fraternity a frat. Would you call your country . . .

Sorry, had to do it.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Again ... your chances of receiving a bid are ZERO if you do not participate in recruitment.

As everyone else has said, it really depends on so many factors (school, Greek climate, grades, service, personality, etc.) that it is impossible for anyone to give you an average percentage of PNMs that obtain bids. Organizations and chapters vary from campus to campus and unless you personally give recruitment a shot on your particular campus with the organizations recognized there, you will never know what your personal chances are. Some organizations or chapters may weigh grades more heavily than others but until you get to know the Greek population on your specific campus in more detail (usually by attending recruitment events) no one here will be able to give you an answer.

Sorry if this is a bit mean but seriously, stop hiding behind the statistics you are hoping to acquire and meet some Greeks to determine if joining a fraternity is right for you. If the thought of putting yourself out there as an interested PNM is too scary, contact the Greek Life office on your particular campus and ask for their specific placement percentage (if it is something that they even track). Good luck.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I second this! Good job, everybody!