GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,174
1 members and 1,173 guests
No Members online

Old 06-08-2000, 09:21 PM
Wondering Why

Post Where had all of the LOVE gone?

Hey everybody...

I pose this question to BGLO greeks because being an African American college student, I am in the process of choosing a sorority to hopefully join in the future, but I see so much bickering between members on my campus, (especially between the sororities of AKA and Delta) those ladies seem to have all these conflicts amongst themselves. I even see them arguing with their OWN SORORS in public! To me this is not the way to represent your sorority.

And what about this paper issue? You tell someone the intimate secrts of your organization, but won't respect them or even acknowledge them if they didn't get the same beat down as you... pretty stupid if you ask me, and I am just an observer! Like the topic of this post says, where has all of the LOVE gone? Who cares how a person entered into your org. If they show the commitment to community service and uphold all the ideals, what is the problem? I thought the purpose was to uplift the race... but it seems (at least on my campus) this is not the case.
Old 06-08-2000, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to send you a e-mail..off of the boards....Or you can e-mail me and I can discuss this further with you.
Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering Why:
Hey everybody...

I pose this question to BGLO greeks because being an African American college student, I am in the process of choosing a sorority to hopefully join in the future, but I see so much bickering between members on my campus, (especially between the sororities of AKA and Delta) those ladies seem to have all these conflicts amongst themselves. I even see them arguing with their OWN SORORS in public! To me this is not the way to represent your sorority.

And what about this paper issue? You tell someone the intimate secrts of your organization, but won't respect them or even acknowledge them if they didn't get the same beat down as you... pretty stupid if you ask me, and I am just an observer! Like the topic of this post says, where has all of the LOVE gone? Who cares how a person entered into your org. If they show the commitment to community service and uphold all the ideals, what is the problem? I thought the purpose was to uplift the race... but it seems (at least on my campus) this is not the case.
Old 06-08-2000, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering Why:
Hey everybody...

Ok, am I to understand that because we're greek that we're not supposed to be HUMAN?? That we're supposed to get along with EVERYONE even though it's highly unlikely that we've gotten along with everyone we've met in our lives? This is ridiculous! Where is it written that I have to like all of my Sorors? Yes, I MUST be CIVIL with them, especially when it comes to Delta business, but I do NOT have to like them. Don't people who have blood siblings argue with them? Why are greeks not "allowed" to do the same thing with their Sorors/Frat?? There are things called personality clashes to which no one is immume. I will be entirely too happy when people realize greeks are not super-human, that we put our underpants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

As for the AKA/Delta issue, all I'm going to say about that is some people, on both sides, take what happened in 1912 a little too personally.

Quote:
EXACTLY!!! I couldn't agree with you more.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited June 08, 2000).]
Old 06-08-2000, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Its like 12dn94dst said. The greeks are human. I mean I know what you saying though on the outside looking it might seem unappropriate. At the smae time try and understand that just like you may fight with your sister, you may have a fight with a soror. Just like you may have family members that you can not really stand you may run into this situation with a soror. People who are a part of greek orgs. have more than that part of their life that exists. For example you may see two Deltas or Zetas or which ever, arguing amongst each other, but if you look a little closer what you really see is two women who are having dispute that just happen to be a part of the same org. Its the same with the confrontations between two different sororities that one may think is going on, BUT there may be an AKA who does not get along with a DElTA but that does not necessarily mean that everyone in each org or even in the particular chapter has a problem with one another. Maybe even the actual problem some may have with one another does not have anything to with the sorority anyway. I too am interested in joining one of these lovely sororities. On the campus I attend there may be individual conflicts from time to time but when it all comes down to it they still have much love for each other. I hope that the things you have witnessed does not deter you form wanting to join the sorority of your choice. If you continue in your interest and are honored to be a part of one of these orgs. you will see that no matter how you much you love your sorority you may meet some sorors that you just do not mesh well with. That is okay as long when it comes down to business yall can get the job done. I just wanted to put my ten cents in, especially because I notice alot of people get on the greeks for things of this nature. Its unforutnate that we do fight amongst ourselves(people in general) but its a part of life. People must remember that when one pledges and crosses he/she does not forfeit his/her humanity.
Old 06-10-2000, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Love was probably not present to begin with like 12dn94dst states we are Human first then greek. We can't all be best of friends at every moment, however i do believe in keeping family business in the pham. Bickering in front of others shows division because they don't see us a individuals, they see us as representatives of the sorority or frat. I think maturity and understanding of what is and is not appropriate behavior is something that many humans/greeks are still trying to grasp. As for AKA and Delta on my campus there was only friendly competition if that. There was a great greek love at my school. Some do take things to seriously its ridiculous but most grow out of this after a few years in the work world