GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,204
1 members and 2,203 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Recruitment UCM Advice

I'm a freshman at the University of Central Missouri. I'm very interested in greek life here. It's not as big a deal here like it is at a lot of universities, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. I'm from a city four hours away from this school and came not knowing anyone. I went through formal fall recruitment and had a blast. I got to know the chapters and girls, and got a good idea of what there was to offer. During formal recruitment, I got invited back to 3 chapters but only was invited back to one chapter on preference day. After preference day I decided to drop out of formal recruitment. It wasn't because I didn't get my first choice, but the chapter I received the preference invitation from I just didn't click with. The girls were very very sweet and I felt terrible for not pledging, but I just couldn't join if I wasn't 100% sure. I gave all the sororities equal chances and I just didn't click with all of them. I have a 3.04 GPA from last semester and had a 2.79 from high school. I was very very involved in activities at my high school. At college I'm very shy and am just starting to dip my toes in the activities here.

This week is spring informal recruitment, and I'm rushing again. I visited my top choice each night. Both nights so far were (to me) very successful, there were hardly any awkward moments in conversation and all the girls I talked to I had a lot in common with. I truly could see myself being a great member of this chapter. The last night of spring recruitment would have been tonight, but due to about 9 inches of snow, the party was canceled. The rescheduled date for the party hasn't been posted. I was just hoping for some advice to help my chances of getting a bid and leaving the beast impression possible? I have a personal connection with this chapters philanthropy and would love to get to help with it, thats one of the biggest reasons they are my top choice. Thanks in advance
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marencat View Post
I was just hoping for some advice to help my chances of getting a bid and leaving the beast impression possible?
I hope you don't want that hahaha!

Tell the women of the chapter that you would like to be a member. Tell them why you like their chapter. Tell them what you would like to contribute to the chapter. Be confident and relaxed, but definitely do not act like you're in already.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

oh gosh I didn't even see that! haha, i meant best. The advice you gave is fantastic. Those are the things I mentioned to the girls I've spoken with and was hoping would help. I was also wondering how (in general) spring informal recruitment works? I understand fall formal, but I haven't really had spring explained to me. I know it's a lot less formal, and the numbers are smaller, but are there still bids? I was just hoping for a general idea of how it works. Thank you for the advice!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

There are still bids in spring recruitment. Spring (or informal) recruitment varies from place to place. Some are very structured and a lot like formal recruitment even down to using the computer for bids. Some are very informal with Panhellenic really not doing much. Spring recruitment usually doesn't have every Chapter participating unless total was increased. Some Chapters will have to pick up lots of women to get to total and some will only need a handful. Usually there is a list that is given to the Chapters of women who are interested in recruitment that have contacted Panhellenic along with a list of girls who have friends in individual Chapters (this list is not shared just given to the recruitment chair). If the Chapter thinks your a good fit they will invite you back to get to know you- used to be by phone, but I know our girls e-mail too and I would imagine text. I hope that answers your question.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I'm a freshman at the University of Central Missouri. I'm very interested in greek life here. It's not as big a deal here like it is at a lot of universities, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. I'm from a city four hours away from this school and came not knowing anyone. I went through formal fall recruitment and had a blast. I got to know the chapters and girls, and got a good idea of what there was to offer. During formal recruitment, I got invited back to 3 chapters but only was invited back to one chapter on preference day. After preference day I decided to drop out of formal recruitment. It wasn't because I didn't get my first choice, but the chapter I received the preference invitation from I just didn't click with. The girls were very very sweet and I felt terrible for not pledging, but I just couldn't join if I wasn't 100% sure. I gave all the sororities equal chances and I just didn't click with all of them. I have a 3.04 GPA from last semester and had a 2.79 from high school. I was very very involved in activities at my high school. At college I'm very shy and am just starting to dip my toes in the activities here.

This week is spring informal recruitment, and I'm rushing again. I visited my top choice each night. Both nights so far were (to me) very successful, there were hardly any awkward moments in conversation and all the girls I talked to I had a lot in common with. I truly could see myself being a great member of this chapter. The last night of spring recruitment would have been tonight, but due to about 9 inches of snow, the party was canceled. The rescheduled date for the party hasn't been posted. I was just hoping for some advice to help my chances of getting a bid and leaving the beast impression possible? I have a personal connection with this chapters philanthropy and would love to get to help with it, thats one of the biggest reasons they are my top choice. Thanks in advance
Express that you're excited to be invited back (but do so tactfully and don't be overly "OMG I LOVE YOU GUYS.")

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks again for all the great advice! I really appreciate all the feedback. I'll make sure to let the chapter (without being cheesy) that I really love their chapter.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Darn snow!!! It's messing with my plans too! Good luck and let us know how things work out for ya! Stay warm too. I can't imagine all these girls running around at the schools with Formal recruitment in this weather!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

The voicemail I received yesterday from the chapter went like this:

"Hi, this is ______ from xyz, I just wanted to inform you that xyz is not having a party tonight. I'm sorry for any inconvenience and have a great rest of recruitment."

I was assuming that it was because we got over a foot of snow that day, but now I'm not so sure. I saw a bunch of other girls today wearing new shirts for their chapters. A few other chapters had parties last night. The chapter I'm interested in, their final party was due to be that night. I'm just worried because a lot of other girls already know what chapter they're in and are all celebrating. I haven't heard anything about a rescheduling and sent a message to the recruitment leader of xyz earlier today asking if it was going be rescheduled and haven't heard back from anyone. I would think that if they weren't picking me they would have just said so nicely in the voicemail, but you never know I guess. Any advice?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I really don't think they would lie to you, and the party was legitimately cancelled. Now, whether they will reschedule or just give out bids, I don't know.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice! If they decide not to reschedule and decide not to give me a bid, will I know? What I'm asking is if they don't pick me, will I know? Or will I just never hear from them again. I understand none of you guys have personal knowledge so I'm just hoping for a "in general" sort of response. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! If they decide not to reschedule and decide not to give me a bid, will I know? What I'm asking is if they don't pick me, will I know? Or will I just never hear from them again. I understand none of you guys have personal knowledge so I'm just hoping for a "in general" sort of response. Thanks again!
I doubt they'd call you to tell you that you did not receive a bid. Not only is it an awkward conversation, but they might offer you a bid at another time.

At Maryland, during informal recruitment, PNMs can be offered bids at different times. If a chapter has 10 spots to fill, they can only have 10 bids "out" at any given time. Some accept right away, but some others need time to decide. Maybe they're holding out for another chapter, maybe they need to talk to their parents, etc. Every chapter had their own time limit for how long a woman can hold a bid before signing or declining. So until someone declines, the chapter can't offer a bid to #11 on their list.

Last edited by violetpretty; 01-21-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
This tends to vary by chapter/school.

Some chapters at my school didn't call, and it was like a "don't call us, we'll call you" kind of thing--meaning that if you didn't get a call from them, then assume you didn't get a bid.

Then there were others who would call you either way and let you know whether you were getting one.

I personally prefer that chapters notify girls even if they are not getting a bid. But every chapter is different.

So just wait and see. I know it's hard. I went through informal and had a bit of a wait to hear from my sorority and was CONVINCED that I wasn't getting one because I had to wait so long.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Were there any invitational events, or were all events open to all women? Did you only visit one chapter? Are you certain that chapter is giving out bids this semester at all?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Were there any invitational events, or were all events open to all women? Did you only visit one chapter? Are you certain that chapter is giving out bids this semester at all?
I visited all the chapters the first night, and only a few the next night, both including my top choice. The events for all chapters were open to anyone who wanted to show up. I was thinking that maybe at the last minute this chapter decided not to give out any bids this semester. I haven't received any more information then the phone call though. I'm trying to just stay positive now.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm wondering if the sister who called you meant anything by "have a great rest of recruitment."