GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omicron Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,038
1 members and 1,037 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 09-08-2021, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
I am going to guess GoGoolia that maybe your daughter’s video did not showcase herself as well as maybe she wanted. My daughter has now participated in two recruitments as an active. Last year completely online and this year hybrid. She has expressed that there can be a wide range in success of the PNM videos. Some are very carefully crafted and others maybe don’t reflect the PNM as well as the PNM would probably hope. Maybe due to your daughter’s last minute decision to proceed through recruitment it did not showcase her as well. Just a thought.
Just a thought - maybe we need to start a thread on Creating A Recruitment Video.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

GREAT idea!
I've been in some Zoom sessions with people who are impeccably dressed with a neutral background, or with a background that gives the viewer some information about the speaker (like bookshelves full of interesting titles or trophies or a favorite stuffed animal or souvenir)
and
I've been in some Zoom sessions with people in their pajamas or Tshirts.
Dress for the job you want... or the sorority.

I have no idea what the OP's daughter's video was like, so I'm not implying anything about what she wore or what her background was, but I think we could all contribute to a thread with tips to help others in the future.

Last edited by SquirrelyDays; 09-08-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-08-2021, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

First up, I'm extremely sorry your legacy didn't work out for your daughter. Sharing a sisterhood with your daughter would have been a special thing.

On the other hand, she should begin looking into COB and informal recruitment. Sometimes, a more casual experience can be not only less stressful but can offer a PNM another side of the sisterhood beyond the rules and fluff of formal recruitment. I hope she can find a sisterhood she loves.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-09-2021, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Video Recruitment

Quote:
I am going to guess GoGoolia that maybe your daughter’s video did not showcase herself as well as maybe she wanted. My daughter has now participated in two recruitments as an active. Last year completely online and this year hybrid. She has expressed that there can be a wide range in success of the PNM videos. Some are very carefully crafted and others maybe don’t reflect the PNM as well as the PNM would probably hope. Maybe due to your daughter’s last minute decision to proceed through recruitment it did not showcase her as well. Just a thought.
I do think you could be right @ace23. I don't think she had both feet in the water and maybe it showed. She is also a very outgoing person but I could see how that might not quite come across in every video. That is why I supported her decision to try again when she was more prepared and could actually get a feel for the houses by meeting them in person. Hopefully, that will happen someday soon. It is also a big decision to make and doing based on one video could be stressful. She actually has already received a couple of offers through COB but has decided to wait till spring or maybe even sophomore year.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Video recruitment

Quote:
I think you could be right. After being a last-minute addition, I don't think she was fully prepared. Hopefully she will try again in Spring or fall.
Thanks.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I think a lot of PNMs get the idea that they have a big choice at the beginning of recruitment.
They really don't.
The weight of choice is on the sororities' side for most of rush. They're the ones releasing PNMs. Certainly a PNM can express her preference, but that comes way down AFTER the sororities release or don't - that's why "unwanted" sororities keep showing up.
About the only time that a PNM's choice reigns supreme is when she ranks her pref day choices.
THIS THIS THIS! If any PNMs or their moms are reading, please note this! The material that Panhellenic passes out seems to suggest that you can just waltz right in and happily select your favorite.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I know my sorority has eliminated the requirement to contact the legacy connection.
There simply isn't time. And what are they going to say? "We hated your daughter?" Of course not. All they can say is, "Sorry." And they'll never give you a reason. They may not even know - she just came up short in the numbers.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

I have heard that a lot of people who made those calls were verbally attacked by the mother or sister.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I know my sorority has eliminated the requirement to contact the legacy connection.
There simply isn't time. And what are they going to say? "We hated your daughter?" Of course not. All they can say is, "Sorry." And they'll never give you a reason. They may not even know - she just came up short in the numbers.
I would think that an email should suffice, rather than a phone call.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I have heard that a lot of people who made those calls were verbally attacked by the mother or sister.
I've lived it, and it is not pleasant.