GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 853
0 members and 853 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions to memebers of Alpha Kappa Alpha

First let me say, that I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot. I am new to the website (just made an account today actually). If you tell me, I will move it to the right spot.

I am interested in rushing Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. My aunt is an AKA (the first and the only person in my family to be in a sorority) and she is one of the most influential people in my life. I agree with the programs that AKA's have that help others. The main reason I wanted to join is that they believe in combating human trafficking, promoting education, and the empowerment of women (especially African-American women). I want to develop relationships and be surrounded by people who believe in such things and I also hope one day that I can start a charity focusing on those issues. However, when I search the internet to find more information about them, I am bombarded by videos of girls screaming "I am so pretty" and shaking their hair. I find poems written by AKAs that say " Yes, I'm conceited and that's no lie". I would like to know if there is some purpose to this. I feel as if SOME girls portray Alpha Kappa Alpha not as a sorority but as a high school clique filled with popular girls. Does claiming that AKAs are conceited and pretty have a historical significance? I assumed that it had something to do with the fact that in the early 1900's ( and even today) that black women were portrayed as ugly and uneducated and when Alpha Kappa Alpha was established, they wanted to prove that that stereotype is not true. I find that acting vain and shaking hair is very off putting. I strongly believe in helping other black girls find their beauty and showing other races that black women can be beautiful but not in the same fashion as SOME AKA's. I do understand that not all AKA's act this way, but if the women on my campus do, then what should I do?

Could you tell me why you chose to be an Alpha Kappa Alpha. When you first visited the website or met an AKA, was it like "love at first sight" and you knew that AKA was the sorority for you?

After having pledged and been accepted into the sorority, how has your life changed?

What is your view of the current AKA undergrads? Do you feel as if the sorority has changed since you were in college?

What are some issues that arose after joining the sorority?

If these questions offend you, I am terribly sorry. I did not intend for the questions to be offensive.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I apologize for the long post
Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueO View Post
First let me say, that I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot. I am new to the website (just made an account today actually). If you tell me, I will move it to the right spot.

I am interested in rushing Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. My aunt is an AKA (the first and the only person in my family to be in a sorority) and she is one of the most influential people in my life. I agree with the programs that AKA's have that help others. The main reason I wanted to join is that they believe in combating human trafficking, promoting education, and the empowerment of women (especially African-American women). I want to develop relationships and be surrounded by people who believe in such things and I also hope one day that I can start a charity focusing on those issues. However, when I search the internet to find more information about them, I am bombarded by videos of girls screaming "I am so pretty" and shaking their hair. I find poems written by AKAs that say " Yes, I'm conceited and that's no lie". I would like to know if there is some purpose to this. I feel as if SOME girls portray Alpha Kappa Alpha not as a sorority but as a high school clique filled with popular girls. Does claiming that AKAs are conceited and pretty have a historical significance? I assumed that it had something to do with the fact that in the early 1900's ( and even today) that black women were portrayed as ugly and uneducated and when Alpha Kappa Alpha was established, they wanted to prove that that stereotype is not true. I find that acting vain and shaking hair is very off putting. I strongly believe in helping other black girls find their beauty and showing other races that black women can be beautiful but not in the same fashion as SOME AKA's. I do understand that not all AKA's act this way, but if the women on my campus do, then what should I do?

Could you tell me why you chose to be an Alpha Kappa Alpha. When you first visited the website or met an AKA, was it like "love at first sight" and you knew that AKA was the sorority for you?

After having pledged and been accepted into the sorority, how has your life changed?

What is your view of the current AKA undergrads? Do you feel as if the sorority has changed since you were in college?

If these questions offend you, I am terribly sorry. I did not intend for the questions to be offensive.
QFP
Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll just jump in here and say you will likely not get any helpful feedback here. While us NPC women will give you every little thought and opinion about sorority membership and the ins and outs of the process, the NPHC women seem to really prefer restricting their assistance to women "in the flesh." I would try to find local AKAs, and it sounds like you have a great one available to you, to get your answers. But your questions seem like good ones to ask the women you meet at various AKA events.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think that's one of the purposes of joining a glo is to bring something to the table that can better the organization. Get in first, and then contribute to how you want to make changes to the things you think need changing. You want what they have so get that first.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Have you considered one of the other organizations?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes I did. I considered Delta Sigma Theta seriously. I read into the history of both AKA and Delta and was deeply inspired by the AKA history. It would be an honor to be a part of such an organization.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Banned

Since DST was mentioned....

TrueO, you were asked whether you had considered another sorority partly because you came here seeming to complain about AKA and seeming to want the AKAs to explain (or even justify) their sorority and their membership to you. Your job is to research whichever sorority is of interest (scouring Internet videos does not suffice), attend events, and interact with real-life members off of the Internet. Good luck to you.

/lane swerve
Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

How to Become an AKA

Part 2
Closed Thread