GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,038
1 members and 2,037 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-06-2006, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

meeting sorors unexpectedly

i dont start threads often. so let me excersize this right...

as i mention many a times, my campus is not greek-heavy. when i became a member, i was of course excited to meet sorors, but get a little sad being that im the only Sigma Gamma Rho on my campus.

or so i thought.

so far ive met a graduate student from binghampton and by the graces of facebook, tracked her down. last week, i met a soror who, all i can remember, was from Arizona (spr 96), i think in a graduate program here. lastly, i get an email from someone who JUST graduated from a masters program here and moved away for her doctorate, and got in touch with me through a listserv.

so for all i know, there could be many a soror here at nyu and i wouldnt know it. now i cant go asking around every graduate student if they know any SGRhos. is it appropriate to ask for an email/phone number of every soror i meet in the street?

signed,
tld221
an overexcited neo who loves to meet sorors everywhere she can
Old 03-06-2006, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Re: meeting sorors unexpectedly

Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
i dont start threads often. so let me excersize this right...

as i mention many a times, my campus is not greek-heavy. when i became a member, i was of course excited to meet sorors, but get a little sad being that im the only Sigma Gamma Rho on my campus.

or so i thought.

so far ive met a graduate student from binghampton and by the graces of facebook, tracked her down. last week, i met a soror who, all i can remember, was from Arizona (spr 96), i think in a graduate program here. lastly, i get an email from someone who JUST graduated from a masters program here and moved away for her doctorate, and got in touch with me through a listserv.

so for all i know, there could be many a soror here at nyu and i wouldnt know it. now i cant go asking around every graduate student if they know any SGRhos. is it appropriate to ask for an email/phone number of every soror i meet in the street?

signed,
tld221
an overexcited neo who loves to meet sorors everywhere she can
You hadn't been doing that before? Whenever I meet a soror, I trade information.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1browngirl Send a message via Yahoo to 1browngirl
Re: Re: meeting sorors unexpectedly

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
You hadn't been doing that before? Whenever I meet a soror, I trade information.
I did when I was a neo. I still do it.

Greater Service, Greater Progress since 1922
Old 03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

There is nothing wrong with that! It's called networking!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: meeting sorors unexpectedly

Quote:
i was rushing to class (i was already late), she was on a phone call, and rushing somewhere. it didnt occur to me to ask for a phone #. seemed stalker-esque.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to divaemeritus
I'm a neo, and what I've already done is had business cards made - so whenever I meet a new soror, I just give her one of my cards. Much easier than trying to find a scrap of paper and a pen (and folks are less likely to lose a business card).

I have cards as well for OES. I just think it adds a professional touch, yanno?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by divaemeritus
I'm a neo, and what I've already done is had business cards made - so whenever I meet a new soror, I just give her one of my cards. Much easier than trying to find a scrap of paper and a pen (and folks are less likely to lose a business card).

I have cards as well for OES. I just think it adds a professional touch, yanno?
Ditto...I also have sorority cards, and I hand them out to sorors and fellow greeks. If anyone's interested, I can pass on the name and contact info of the person who made them for me; she did great work and she can make personalized cards for any organization.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

exactly!

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenGlow2000
There is nothing wrong with that! It's called networking!
i co-sign whole heartedly!
"Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning."-Gandhi
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ditto...I also have sorority cards, and I hand them out to sorors and fellow greeks. If anyone's interested, I can pass on the name and contact info of the person who made them for me; she did great work and she can make personalized cards for any organization.
sorority cards? never thought about that...

yeah, pass that contact person on.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: meeting sorors unexpectedly

Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
i was rushing to class (i was already late), she was on a phone call, and rushing somewhere. it didnt occur to me to ask for a phone #. seemed stalker-esque.
Soror, what is wrong with stalking another Soror? LOL!!!

Is this a New York thing or what? I have met so many Sorors, many who are inactive, just by approaching and always wearing my para.

Just the memory of this made me smile when I recall meeting 2 Sorors in my daughter's Girl Scout Troop several years ago.

I posted this here before in another thread. Within that troop I have made friends with women of other D9 sororities because they STALKED ME! I wear my t-shirts and hats a lot!

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 03-13-2006, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: meeting sorors unexpectedly

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
Soror, what is wrong with stalking another Soror? LOL!!!

Is this a New York thing or what? I have met so many Sorors, many who are inactive, just by approaching and always wearing my para.
it may be a new york thing, you know, we're always in our bubbles and everything.

but it could be a me thing, not wanting to stalk people and everything.

i'll work on it...
Old 03-14-2006, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror, I was just messing with you. It's not just a New York thing either.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 04-28-2006, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump. I like this thread and I like meeting new sorors.

I unexpectedly met a soror a few months ago while driving in traffic. I saw her license plate frame and I honked and threw up the handsign. We rolled our windows down and slowly drove side by side (slightly holding up traffic) as I yelled my cell phone number to her as she dialed it from her cell! We talked on the phone and exchanged info. Other folks in traffic were mad at us though - cussin' and throwin' up middle fingers and whatnot. LOL!

In any case, today I was wearing my Sigma T-shirt when I went to the Rite Aid to pick up my prescription. Their computer system was down so they couldn't take any debit or credit card payments and they wouldn't accept a personal check (I had no cash on me at the time). Just as I'm fussin' with the manager about how they need to make an exception to the personal check rule considering the circumstances, I hear an "EEEE-Yip!". We hug and introduce ourselves and it turns out to be the same soror I met in traffic! She gave me the cash I needed for my prescription copay. Sigma sisterhood is the greatest!

On a side note, I need to get down with the business cards, it's a great idea.

Last edited by PearlRuby; 04-28-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I met another soror in my building yesterday! All this time I didn't know cause she teaches in another section and I hardly ever see her.

I'm so happy!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking it keeps on getting better!

how about this:

i went on a cruise to the bahamas last week and on the ship, i ran into this lady who was wearing a blue and gold bag that i could have SWORE i got at the SE regional conference in 2004. . . i ran up to her and said, "i am sorry, but can i look at this bag?" she was a little confused, but said yes. . . and when she flipped it, i saw our SHIELD! we hugged each other and chatted... and chatted... and chatted...
very happy moment.
"Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning."-Gandhi