GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,007
2 members and 1,005 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 10-27-2000, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It is interesting that you pose this question, becuase I was thinking about it the other day myself. We have a white member in our alumni chapter, and I have to say that I really don't have a problem with him being there. He is active, pays his dues, and contributes.

As long as these white members understand that our organizations are founded on principles that uplift the black kommunity. I welcome any and all help, becuase there is so much need in our kommunities, especially here in DC. If we as a kommunity were to take care of our own, maybe outside help would not be needed, but I digress.

I know that there are those who would disgree, and I know of some brothers who feel differently, but that is simply my take on it.

Also, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was the First BGLO to have a provision in it's constitution that precluded members from barring perspectives based on race.

My founders saw the evils that were visited upon them by whites, and instead of addopting the same flawed way of doing things, they charted their own course, and rose above the discrimination and hatred that was so prevelant in those days (and still happens today).

God I love those men

MN

Old 10-27-2000, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If you will go to "search" and enter the word "racism" you will find several topics about this. Many of them have been closed because people cannot seem to speak respectfully of each other when this topic is at hand.
Old 10-27-2000, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brownin:
I was wondering how others felt about having non-Black members in their BGLO. Personally, I do not have a problem with it. However, I do have friends who feel quite strongly against it. They feel that since African-Americans were not allowed membership into the white Greek organizations back in the day, why should we allow them into ours now? How do you guys feel about this?
I don't think there is any excuse for reverse discrimination. I should not have to pay for something my ancestors did. It's almost like what's happening with our chapter now. In the past, actives alienated the alumni, and now they refuse to have any contact with the chapter, even though we are completely different people. I know it isn't based on race, but it is a similar situation. The current actives are paying for the actions of a few alumni.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 10-27-2000, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay,

ManndingoNUPE

In your post you make the statement, "As long as these white members understand that our organizations..."

This statement bothers me for one reason:

1. This statement uses the word, OUR in reference to white members of your org and their relationship to the org. This seems to imply that although a white man might be your brother he isn't part of YOUR org. Because if he is your Frat then it would be his org. too. Hence the words you chose to express your point tell a different story of your feelings than what you say you believe/feel.

Much Respect and Love,

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta
Old 10-27-2000, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Corbin, reverse-discrimination!! That would mean there is no discrimination Discrimination is exactly that no matter what the group. Discrimination needs to be reversed in all facets.

Am I my brother's keeper? Yes, I am.
Old 10-27-2000, 11:25 PM
truth

Quote:
Originally posted by Kymberleigh:
Okay,

ManndingoNUPE

In your post you make the statement, "As long as these white members understand that our organizations..."

This statement bothers me for one reason:

1. This statement uses the word, OUR in reference to white members of your org and their relationship to the org. This seems to imply that although a white man might be your brother he isn't part of YOUR org. Because if he is your Frat then it would be his org. too. Hence the words you chose to express your point tell a different story of your feelings than what you say you believe/feel.

Much Respect and Love,

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta
The truth of the matter is these organizations are a part of the black community so they are uniquely ours. This is not to say that members who are lighter are not any more or less of a brother, but the organizations belong to the black community. Although, to be honest I do not know why a white person would want to join a BGLO. Where I am from we don't have any so maybe a white female and male who are a part of a BGLO could enlighten us.
Old 10-28-2000, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Non-Black Members in Historically Black Greek Ltr Organizations

I was wondering how others felt about having non-Black members in their BGLO. Personally, I do not have a problem with it. However, I do have friends who feel quite strongly against it. They feel that since African-Americans were not allowed membership into the white Greek organizations back in the day, why should we allow them into ours now? How do you guys feel about this?
Old 10-28-2000, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Truth,

Well I make no argument that BGLO's are part of the black community, my issue with ManndingoNUPE's comment was that he seemed (and yes I say seemed) to insinuate that even if he had a white frat they wouldn't be a part of "OUR" org. That's what I took from his statements. It is quite possible that he merely misworded what he intended to say.

Also, you seem to have your own opinion on the matter which is nothing short of...well to put it in polite terms opposite of mine.

Much Love,

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta
Old 10-28-2000, 02:43 AM
MN

Kymberleigh,

It was not my intent that a white man is not part of my org. So I guess that may have simply been your interpretation of what I was trying to convey.

Any member, white, black, green, purple, who has been intiated into Kappa Alpha Psi is my frat brother and part of the frat. I thought that that would go without saying, but let me just clear that up for you.

But we would be fooling ourselves if we didn't emphasise the fact that these orgs where created, and are for the uplift of the black kommunity. That is simply a statement of fact, and if you are outside of that kommunity (which whites are), yet you still want to help with the work that the org does, then kool. I got luv for you.

MN
Old 10-28-2000, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

MN:

I understood you perfectly well THE PHIRST time!
Old 10-28-2000, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by The Researcher:
Corbin, reverse-discrimination!! That would mean there is no discrimination Discrimination is exactly that no matter what the group. Discrimination needs to be reversed in all facets.

Am I my brother's keeper? Yes, I am.
I'm not sure I understand your last post. If you're saying we need to reverse discrimination, as in end it, then yes we do. If you're saying black people have the right to hate ALL white people, then FALSE. That just perpetuates problems.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 10-28-2000, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Arrow

To the Group ...

Ebony Magazine will soon be doing a story on this very topic!

I was recently contacted by a writer at the magazine (who happens to be a Delta) and she was looking for White members of BGLO's to interview.

I'm sure it will be interesting and enlightening reading!

------------------
IotaNet
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
3AH80

Kappa Kappa Psi Honorary Band Fraternity
Zeta Nu Chapter, Spring, 1979
Old 10-28-2000, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Corbin,

What The Researcher is saying is there's really no such thing as "reverse-discrimination". Wherther there's an issue because I'm black and you're white or vice-versa, it's still discrimination. We, as a society, are so used to explaining things from a "white male" prospective, that we come up with terms that really make no sense. Think about it, reverse means opposite. The opposite of discrimination is equality. So when you say "I don't think there is any excuse for reverse discrimination," what do you really mean? Do you mean there's no excuse to treat everyone equally or there's no excuse to treat anyone differently because of a personal aspect, be it race, ethnicity or sexual orientation?

I'm not trying to make you look stupid, and I'm DEFINETLY NOT trying to start one of greek chat infamous "race relations wars," just trying to help you understand what The Researcher was saying.

In Greekdom,

------------------
Kelli
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
12-Delta Nu-94
MAL, Southern Region
Savannah State University c/o 1997
Old 10-28-2000, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Belle
just like you said, "...back in the day," It's a new day, now and white's accept blacks and others into their orgs., and blacks should accept also, if, and only if that person shows the quality that that part. sorority/fraternity looks for in their members.
Quote:
Originally posted by brownin:
Old 10-29-2000, 12:27 AM
MN

Corbin Dallas,

I don't think that you are reading the words that I am typing, as opposed to seeing into it what you want it to be.

I believe that I clarrified my position. If you don't get it, then no matter what I write, you still won't get it.

Take Care

MN