GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,191
1 members and 2,190 guests
Titchou

Old 10-04-1999, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Engineering and Sororities

I am an engineering major and am thinking about rishing. But, I don't know if I will have time once I get into my academic classes. How much time do they really take?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-1999, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
During your new member perod, you will spend about 10-20 hours a week involved in sorority activities. This includes meetings, mealtimes and social/philanthropic activities as well as required study hours. The amount of time you invest after initiation is dependent on you. You will be required to attend meetings, rituals and some other activities. If you choose not to get involved in committees or as an officer, your time commitment won't be as great as a man that does these things.
Old 11-05-1999, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

no joke. as a pledge you will spend 6-8 weeks pledging, and it will take up all your time. You have to be with your pledge class getting things together when your not "on call" by the sorority and doing their bidding. I took 4 classes when I pledged, none of which were hard-saved those for later. I actually had one of my best semesters when I pledged because of study hours. you will not be able to predict when you'll have time to study, and you'll be tired. so, make it a light semester. Once your in, you have more free time and won't have to worry about it-only a few nights a week for stuff and only a couple of hours. Try to pledge when you don't have tough classes. Pledging is all about working together and being organized. I do think you shuld pledge if you can. I graduated 6 yrs. ago and still see my alumni sisters and the active sisters. we have a house, so it's a place we all gather. I have made some of the best friends through pledging, and I don't regret it at all. Besides a career, it's the best thing you'll get out of college and the tightese bond you'll find.
Old 11-08-1999, 01:14 PM
Artimis

Depending on your wants in a sorority, you might also consider seeing if an engineering/technical sororites exist on your campus. Because of their focus, such sororites can better recongize the academic, social and professional needs of women in engineering and other sciences.

Unfortunitly, these sororites are still relatively small nationally and may not be represented on your campus. However, all are in expansion processes and may be contacted about interest groups and colonization. The Nationals Organizations that I'm aware of are: Alpha Sigma Kappa (ASK), Alpha Omega Epsilon (AOE), and Phi Sigma Rho (PhiRho). ASK and PhiRho are social sororities while I believe AOE is incorporated as a professional sorority. In addition to these sororities, Theta Tau Fraternity has several co-ed chapters across the United States.

Good Luck with Rush and let me know if I can help you with anything.

Jennifer

------------------
Beta Chapter Alumnae and Founder
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
http://alpha-sigma-kappa.ou.edu/
http://alpha-sigma-kappa.org/

[This message has been edited by Artimis (edited November 08, 1999).]
Old 01-06-2000, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure how strict the sororities on your campus are about attending events...but hopefully you'll find that whatever sorority you choose will be supportive of your academics first. If you have tons of work you may be able to get excused from some events, but you will have to attend the really important ones like initiation.
Old 04-09-2000, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Smile

I'm majoring in chemical engineering, and I'm really glad to be a member of my sorority (Alpha Sigma Kappa). I have an inherent system of support from my sisters, all of whom are are either engineering or science majors. I was thinking of rushing my sophomore year...however I wasn't sure if it would be fair to me or any sorority -- could I make the time committment asked of me. I found out that rushing/being a sister of A.S.K. was just as rigorous as I've heard of other houses...yet there is instant empathy from my sisters, who share my values - academics first, because engineering requires a lot of time! So the road's made easier. Ultimately, it comes down to what do you personally value the most, and which house reflects that. That makes the happiest choice.

Quote:
Originally posted by WonderWoman:
I am an engineering major and am thinking about rishing. But, I don't know if I will have time once I get into my academic classes. How much time do they really take?
Old 08-01-2000, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Artimis:
[B]Depending on your wants in a sorority, you might also consider seeing if an engineering/technical sororites exist on your campus. Because of their focus, such sororites can better recongize the academic, social and professional needs of women in engineering and other sciences.

I am in Alpha Omega Epsilon and as a Engineering Sorority we understand the academic problems that you will encounter. Most sororities do not care if you have a physics test tomarrow and if you don't pass you will lose your scholarship, they want you at that philanthropy event! Of course they all say grades come first, but for most of them (not to offend anybody) they don't need to study as much as you do.

Although by most people's standards we are small, I don't think so. We have 9 Chapters, 3 Colonies, and more interest groups, plus the same National Structure as most sororities. If anybody out there is interested we are expanding!! Please email me at nebvp@aoesorority.org for information.