GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,352
0 members and 1,352 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay so I contacted the office and they told me to give them my schedule for recruitment week and they’ll do their best to schedule me around it. They said it happens every year. Thank you all for suggesting this as I didn’t even know it was an option. I really hope I’m able to do both because they’re each very important to me. Only time will tell! Thanks again for the advice and I will let you know how it all worked out (or didn’t )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykathy View Post
The heads of this organization have made it clear that there will be no complaints heard about this issue. It’s a take it or leave it situation. Sorry if I’m being vague but I’m trying to keep my anonymity. We have a new person in charge this year and perhaps they aren’t Greek-friendly.
Ahhhhh it all makes sense now. This other group is definitely trying to make you choose between them and Greek life. And honestly...if they are calling it a take it or leave it situation...unless this group has to do with scholarship money or your career, I would leave it.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I think y’all need to go full Norma Rae on them and see what happens. ��
Old 07-30-2018, 04:22 PM

I know that some schools I've worked with will allow you to tell your Recruitment Counselor in advance if there were dates you couldn't be present and she'd let the sororities know, WITH THE CAVEAT THAT they can do whatever they choose and that it does not guarantee that they won't drop you.

Ex: Suzie has band camp on Day 1 which is the first day to meet all the chapters and cuts are made for Day 2. She will miss all chapters that day. She tells her RC. The RC lets all the VPs of Recruitment know. The chapters decide "well we have room with RFM, she seems cool, we'll go ahead and bring her back." or they choose to cut her. Up to the chapter entirely.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Ex: Suzie has band camp on Day 1 which is the first day to meet all the chapters and cuts are made for Day 2. She will miss all chapters that day. She tells her RC. The RC lets all the VPs of Recruitment know. The chapters decide "well we have room with RFM, she seems cool, we'll go ahead and bring her back." or they choose to cut her. Up to the chapter entirely.
I had this exact situation happen where I missed the first day and sisterhood entirely with about 10 other PNMs (we were there for philanthropy and pref). I'm sure I was cut some places for this, but all of us were really happy with where we ended up. There was a chapter colonizing that year so we also felt like there was a nice backstop just in case, but I think COB would have been an option too as sisters did get to know us during the days we were there.

Kittykathy, if you have an open mind about where you end up, and the GLO is already working to do their best to get to as many parties on your schedule as possible, you should have a shot!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, I’m feeling a little better about it. I hope it works out as well as yours did.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

After I posted earlier, I’ve been reading other comments and I have to say this. I was very active on campus as an undergrad; I was in several clubs and Greek honoraries and enjoyed them all. But NONE OF THEM meant a thing to me past graduation except Phi Gamma Delta which I still love and serve as an advisor, and many of whose brothers I love like my own family. In fact, I tell my undergrads they ARE a part of my family!

I’m not saying to choose ONLY rush, but if you have an organization pressuring you to be loyal and spend your time only with them, will you eventually RESENT them for possibly ruining your opportunity to pledge and make your BEST friends for life?? So there—I said it!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. But I do hope you’re able to experience Greek sisterhood. If you devote yourself to your group’s ideals, it can and will enrich your life forever.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

KittyKathy, have you found out how much time your organization will require of you? My concern is this: if they're making it seemingly impossible to rush (because of not wanting you in a sorority), then it might seem like they'll do the same on the other side - require so many hours that you will have to miss required sorority meetings, events, etc. 'I recall you said there are sorority members in this organization but I'm wondering if this new hard-core policy is new so they weren't affected.

I'd check that out because if the time demand means you don't have time for a sorority, you will have to choose. I agree with someone else who said I'd choose sorority life unless this other organization is part of a scholarship or otherwise requisite to your major.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
I agree with someone else who said I'd choose sorority life unless this other organization is part of a scholarship or otherwise requisite to your major.
All very good advice. I'd add: or it's something you've been working toward or dreaming about doing since you were 10. Only you know how important this is to you. If it is something that you had to audition or tryout for before you started attending the university, it may likely fall into this category. If so, I'd say defer the sorority.

Since we don't know your organization or your school, people are kind of guessing at what to tell you. Keep in mind that, at most colleges, Greek life is not a got-to-join-as-a-freshman-or-be-excluded-forever. On most campuses, they have fall and spring rush. On most campuses, many students wait and join in their second year.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

My son may or may not be rushing this year because his cheer coach has let the whole squad know--for years--that cheer will come first.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
After I posted earlier, I’ve been reading other comments and I have to say this. I was very active on campus as an undergrad; I was in several clubs and Greek honoraries and enjoyed them all. But NONE OF THEM meant a thing to me past graduation except Phi Gamma Delta which I still love and serve as an advisor, and many of whose brothers I love like my own family. In fact, I tell my undergrads they ARE a part of my family!

I’m not saying to choose ONLY rush, but if you have an organization pressuring you to be loyal and spend your time only with them, will you eventually RESENT them for possibly ruining your opportunity to pledge and make your BEST friends for life?? So there—I said it!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. But I do hope you’re able to experience Greek sisterhood. If you devote yourself to your group’s ideals, it can and will enrich your life forever.
Totally agree. I did a lot of things on campus and in Greek system, including high profile positions. None of them have lasting meaning past the college years like my sorority.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
My son may or may not be rushing this year because his cheer coach has let the whole squad know--for years--that cheer will come first.
Cheer is weird. Some schools are top NCA/UCA finishers and everyone on the team is Greek (ex: Oklahoma, Bama, etc.) Then there are some where they are equally as competitive of a cheer program but you'd better not even think of doing anything other than cheering (ex: I do not think you can be Greek and cheer at say, UK or Louisville.) I think a lot of it is chalked up to coach preference.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi all, back with my update! So, because my conflicts were with a university sponsored org, they were willing to schedule my parties around it with no problem. There was only one day when I really had to run straight from one to the other and forgot one of my shoes I’d planned on wearing. Had to borrow shoes from a friend! And I looked absolutely ragged for sisterhood round but I was too tired to care. It was a long, crazy week filled with surprises and disappointments, but in the end I got a bid from my top choice from the beginning! Oh and it turns out there are actually more Greeks than not in my org so it’s not going to be easy to weed us out anytime soon, if that’s the plan. Anyway, just wanted to update everyone and thank you again for your advice!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Very glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Great to hear Kittykathy, and congrats on a successful rush and getting your top choice on top of that!!!! Here's to a great year!