GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 2,017
3 members and 2,014 guests
bbobbyusady4719, naraht

Old 07-28-2011, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

recommendations

So I'm trying to get all my recs together, I just got accepted as a sophomore transfer and cant register for rush till next week cause the school has my wrong social security number. Is it fine if I email all the people I am asking to write me recs, give them both my high school and college resume, and attach a picture of myself. Or should I call all the people to ask, and email the rest of the information. Or call to ask and meet in person to give them my resume and a picture of myself. Doing it the last way would be a lot of driving around but I also understand whoever is writing me a rec is doing me a favor and it may be better to give them a physical picture of myself so they don't have to print it out on regular paper or expensive photo paper. But can they also email my rec in because email addresses are provided under the physical address of where to send recs? That way they wouldn't even have to print out or pay to mail anything (or me pay cause I could give them the envelope and stamp).

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I think probably depends on how well you know them. I'd call and ask how they'd like to receive your information. They could also be ok with a phone conversation with email follow up, so I'd leave it up to the rec writer. The recs don't necessarily have to be mailed in. I know my sorority's recs are electronic via a pretty fancy-dancy .pdf. If you have a very old, not at all tech savvy alumna helping you out, you may have to do it the old fashioned way, but I personally would rather NOT have the paper. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm not an "old, not tech-savvy alumna" , but I prefer to receive a hard copy of all of the information, because I need to be able to look at it while I am typing the reference on my computer. I have had a few PNMs who have emailed me their information, due to time constraints, in the past, and it was an inconvenience to have to print it all out. I like receiving a packet which has everything all together so when I have time to sit down and write recs, I can get started without any prep work. Also, it is possible that some of our chapters accept recs by e-mail, but our magazine still lists mailing addresses for chapters for that purpose, and I have not personally come across any of our chapters that ask for them electronically.

That being said, I agree with DubaiSis that some may prefer electronic, so I would ask them when you call them to ask them to write your recs (in my opinion, you really should call and ask them personally, not by e-mail) if they prefer to receive everything electronically, or if they would like for you to mail it or drop it by.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I'd call and ask how they'd like to receive your information.
This. Definitely.

My personal preference is to receive everything electronically, as I can save all of it in a file on my computer and don't have to keep up with lots of paper stuff. Since I write numerous recs each year, I just give each girl their own file, and then move them from the To-Do folder to the completed folder in my documents. That keeps me organized and on track. However, I have friends in my alumnae chapter who prefer the paper method, and their file folder system works perfect for them. So, while I am constantly scanning info into my computer, they are constantly printing everything out! If the work load is not much different for you, then go with what makes life easiest for your rec writers.

I do know of chapters that prefer to receive electronically, but obviously they are just happy to get a rec no matter what.

Best of luck to you!