GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,556
0 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Missing Formal Recruitment

Hi everyone! I'm a freshman at the University of Kansas, and I didn't rush during Formal Recruitment, which takes place in the fall before school starts. I didn't sign up to rush because I thought I wouldn't like to idea of being around so many girls all the time, and I wouldn't be able to deal with the drama, and so on and so forth.. but the more and more I see girls who just joined sororities, and the friendships they are building, I'm starting to want to join a sorority.

My problem is I don't think there is Informal Recruitment at my school. I'm not sure if I should just try to do Fall Formal Recruitment in the fall, or if that would just be weird, as I would be a sophomore. I would love to join at semester, but I'm really not sure how this all works out! I need some advice!

Also if I do join as a sophomore, would the rules of not living in the house the first year still apply?

Thanks!

Amber
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2009, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Your best bet would be to contact the Greek Life office at KU to 1) establish that all chapters are indeed at total and not participating in any sort of informal recruitment and 2) ask them about the live-in rule regarding sophomores.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Sarahsmilehawk is an active sorority woman at KU, maybe she will weigh in, but yes, definitely contact greek life. KU is a beautiful campus! Good luck.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't remember any specifics but I believe there will be at least a few doing COB. I looked through to see recruitment results this fall but not many of the chapters have posted results.

Yes, talk to the Greek Affairs office, and if you've made friends with any of those girls you've mentioned, you might ask them as well, but don't be too stalkery about it. Plus, they will know which houses ARE still open and can maybe get you in touch with a friend of theirs or something.

And as we've said a million times on GC, keep an open mind. The houses that are seen as top tier will not be doing COB or spring recruitment, but the smaller houses have a great deal to offer.

That is one problem with early recruitment. I'm all for it, but a lot of girls don't get it, and by the time they do, they've missed formal recruitment. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes. Having a "my COB recruitment" story would be an interesting change of pace.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone!

I just sent an email to the Panhellenic Recruitment Office asking my question about Informal Recruitment. I hope to be hearing a reply soon! When I do hear a reply, I will definitely post the outcome.

In regards to the "open mind" thing, I definitely don't discriminate houses. I don't think that I should be judging any house when I don't truly know what its like there.

Again, thank you so much.