GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Pi > Pi Beta Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,238
1 members and 1,237 guests
No Members online

Old 01-12-2003, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Parents Day

Our chapter is planning their second annual Parents Day for February. Since we don't have a house, we're having it at a member's house who's a local. Her mom's volunteered to cook!!

What do you all do for your Parents Day/Weekend? Our is only going to be a few hours over lunch. Last year we did a cookie shine, but none of the parents wanted to participate (kinda didn't plan enough room-we had a lot more parents show than we expected!!) so we ended up doing it ourselves. We had our histories out, composites etc. I said a little bit about AAC and alumni...

Any ideas you may have would be great! There's nothing happening on campus that day, so sporting events/cultural events are out.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, you guys. I see people have looked at this post but no one's responded.

Anybody out there?
Old 01-13-2003, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll respond

Well we started doing ours a little differently.. we have it on a weekend in the spring (we have recruitment in the winter.. actually going on right now.. so that the new girls parents can come and see what their daughter is up to)

we hold a brunch on saturday morning at the house.. have stuff out for them to look at

lunch and middle of the day is free.. so that you can hang out with just your fam..

then we have dinner at a catering hall or somewhere similar.. there we have our alumni advisor talk and president talk.. nothing big.. also we show our recruitment video (on sisterhood night there is always a video shown with cute pics and music.. this year there is added in talking blips and video clips from things we have done)

my parents loved it last year.. they now understand "what i am doing in this sorority" and they really supportive...

hope this helps..
Old 01-21-2003, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Parent's Day activities depend not just on whether you have a house or not; other factors to be considered might include how many members are from out of town (i.e., are parents going to have to get hotel rooms?) If that is the case, you might be able to arrange for a meeting room at the hotel for a nominal fee with the block of rooms. Is this in conjunction with the University's parents weekend?

Especially if you have a lot of "first-generation" Greek members in your chapter, you want to brag a bit... show off all the "non-stereotypical" things you are doing. If your moms only know of sorority life from MTV or daytime dramas they'll have a really skewed picture!

With that in mind, I encourage chapters to schedule some event where awards are presented (academic/ service). Show off some tradition too. When new chapters are installed, parents are invited to the cookie shine.... if yours is more than a '1-2-3-grad the candy', you could consider doing that. It will show your pride in your heritage. If you have a good rush skit, you could do that as well.

If most of the parents are from out of town, take them to your favorite pizza place--- let them sample the local cuisine! Trust me, they'll enjoy seeing the things you talk about when you come home.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

For our parent's weekend activity we have a cookout right before the football game. Two of the parents usually volunteer to cook and each family brings something. I think it's a lot of fun and a good idea not to do something huge. There's also a lot of other activities the whole weekend that my university does and it's nice that our house doesn't monopolize everyone's time!

PPL,
Jess