GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,435
4 members and 2,431 guests
Cookiez17, Tridentia, zolivilittlez29

Old 10-09-2015, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Another campus shooting...

Shooting at Northern Arizona University

Shooting was outside of the residence hall that houses many fraternities & sororities. I saw another article stating that Delta Chi members were involved. The 18 yr old shooter is in custody. Sounds like this was a fight between groups of students.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2015, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

My NAU AOII alum friends said it was a fight between two fraternities. Not surprised Delta Chi is involved as their house was shot up a couple years ago. http://coed.com/2015/10/09/delta-chi...iversity-info/

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a shooting at Texas Southern University in Houston, TX today as well. I'm not sure of any other details though.
the confidence in our actions,
and the purpose in our hearts.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This is becoming disturbingly all too common.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know what other fraternity was involved in this horrible incident?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
Does anyone know what other fraternity was involved in this horrible incident?
Sounds like the shooter was a Sigma Chi pledge

More information on shooting
Old 10-09-2015, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillionlights View Post
There was a shooting at Texas Southern University in Houston, TX today as well. I'm not sure of any other details though.
This was the THIRD shooting at Texas Southern this WEEK. Sounds like there are a LOT of problems with people on campus that are not necessarily students.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
This was the THIRD shooting at Texas Southern this WEEK. Sounds like there are a LOT of problems with people on campus that are not necessarily students.
Yes - after more information came out, it doesn't look to be associated with TSU at all. I think the media here just ran with it, associated it with TSU to get more clicks. It's a shame. I apologize for posting before the whole story came out!

Everyone from Northern Arizona University is in my thoughts and prayers.
the confidence in our actions,
and the purpose in our hearts.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Given that these sorts of events almost always involve a depraved (and arguably insane), individual, the argument for concealed carry seems to be much more viable; such a measure would at least add an "equitability" to the playing field when such a maniac created said act. With some people, force is the only thing that they understand.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM

Most people do not have the training and skill of police officers to react quickly and safely (as far as not endangering bystanders) to someone with a firearm. Two people who don't know what they're doing is pretty much always worse than one person who doesn't know what he/she is doing.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

I'm hearing of more and more facilities (work place, schools, etc) which are having quick response drills. Better to be prepared than not.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Most people do not have the training and skill of police officers to react quickly and safely (as far as not endangering bystanders) to someone with a firearm. Two people who don't know what they're doing is pretty much always worse than one person who doesn't know what he/she is doing.
This is entirely untrue; all concealed carry permit holders must have at least a minimum level of training/knowledge of firearms. Typically, this requirement is part of the application process. A great many enthusiasts, permit holders, and hunters actually have far more training that police officers with their weapons (because the cost of training isn't limited as with many officers). This doesn't even account for the veterans of the armed forces who arguably are better trained than any police department in the handling of weaponry.

If proper handling, marksmanship, and technique can be taught, and the "fear of firearms" removed, our world would be much safer; this should be taught in all curriculums High School and beyond; if an adult does not know the proper method of handling, dealing with, or unloading of a firearm, apparently, our education system has failed. This information can save lives.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMaxwell View Post
This is entirely untrue; all concealed carry permit holders must have at least a minimum level of training/knowledge of firearms.
True. But that is not the same as knowing what to do under stress in a crisis.

Quote:
A great many enthusiasts, permit holders, and hunters actually have far more training that police officers with their weapons (because the cost of training isn't limited as with many officers). This doesn't even account for the veterans of the armed forces who arguably are better trained than any police department in the handling of weaponry.
Again quite possible true. It doesn't mean that there aren't also lots of people carrying concealed weapons with only the minimum training.

Quote:
If proper handling, marksmanship, and technique can be taught, and the "fear of firearms" removed, our world would be much safer; this should be taught in all curriculums High School and beyond; if an adult does not know the proper method of handling, dealing with, or unloading of a firearm, apparently, our education system has failed. This information can save lives.
Odd, then, how it's not part of the education system in much of the rest of the world—is it part of the educational system anywhere other than Israel?—yet our death by firearms rate is markedly higher than any other country's.

As for the world being much safer if only, I don't buy that at all, much like I don't buy pretty much anything that the NRA is peddling.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
True. But that is not the same as knowing what to do under stress in a crisis.

Again quite possible true. It doesn't mean that there aren't also lots of people carrying concealed weapons with only the minimum training.

Odd, then, how it's not part of the education system in much of the rest of the world—is it part of the educational system anywhere other than Israel?—yet our death by firearms rate is markedly higher than any other country's.

As for the world being much safer if only, I don't buy that at all, much like I don't buy pretty much anything that the NRA is peddling.
Mystic, don't feed the troll. Or do. But just sayin, this isn't a winnable or even teachable argument.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Mystic, don't feed the troll. Or do. But just sayin, this isn't a winnable or even teachable argument.
i know. But my fingers got the better of me. I'm one and done on this one.