GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
» Online Users: 1,336
1 members and 1,335 guests
navane

Old 05-25-2003, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

pnms- 'why should i be in a sorority?'

we should ask ourselves this question.

with rush coming, chances are we wont be able to think straight. i was thinking today of stuff that i want the actives to know about me. (yes i am already rehersing conversations) then i started to think about why i should be in a sorority. i think it is important that we know who we are and what we want. i know i want to go into rush with a strong head on my shoulders and an open mind. lets talk about why we should be in a sorority and maybe the members on greek chat can help us in seeing if that is what sororities want in their new members.

why i should be in a sorority:

i take pride in my daily work. whether it is school or my job, i give it my all. sororities provide incredible opportunities for leadership, community service, and personal development. i want to be involved. i have the dedication, will power, and the heart to accomplish things. i look forward to running for executive positions that will allow me to present ideas and changes.
i know i am great representive. when i know that people see me as connected to a particular group, i know i have the responsibility to represent that group with intelligence and dignity. i want to grow as a person. personally, i like the idea of having close contact with other girls from various walks of life. a sorority is a great and beautiful addition to a girl's life.
i just know that i can be as beneficial to a sorority as it can be to me.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Good idea Smiley21!

My major priorities in life are as follows:
Live for God.
Serve others.
Develop friendships with those who are like me, and those who are not like me.
Give of myself freely and sacrificially.
Love others as myself.
Do everything as unto God; in other words, do my best in my work, education, relationships and other involvements.
Live so I will have no regrets.
Growing daily in wisdom and helping others to do the same.

Joining a sorority is the one thing I have wanted to do that I have not done. I am loyal, loving, fun, intelligent, determined, intuitive, innovative and dedicated. I too believe that I can benefit any organizatio that I am a part of, but I look forward to seeing how a sorority can help me grow as a person.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PixieChickMTSU
Girl, what an AWESOME topic to bring up! Of course this is a shortened version. Your best and most meaningful answers will be when you are asked candidly.....

Why I want to be in a sorority:
3 areas come to my mind:
Involvement: Any activity that is presented my way, I will be there with an attitude of 110% and ready to help in anything I can do. I frequently do volunteer work for the pure notion of enjoyment. I would love to be able to represent a well respected sorority and stay true to it's name.

Leadership: I am not afraid of a challenge and I believe I have the confidence, intellengence, and enthausim to stay true to the creed of the chosen sorority. If chosen to be apart of a sorority, interestes in holding offices/positions that benefit my sorority are being highly considered.

Unity: Knowing that I am part of a group that is unified by commitment to their love of an organization makes me happy. I look foward to possibly becoming part of a GLO.....

Kara
Old 05-26-2003, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Woah! You girls are on top of things! I wish you were rushing at my school!

A good, related question would be, "What are you looking for in a sorority?"

Also be thinking of intelligent questions to ask the actives who are rushing you. Keeping them related to the party would be a good idea. For example, at the first party, "Welcome/Go Greek!" you might ask, "What would you say makes XYZ stand out on campus?" or "What sorts of things do you do with your sisters?" At the philanthropy round, you could ask, "How does your chapter's local philanthropy tie in with the national philanthropy of XYZ?" At pref, a good one is, "What made you decide that XYZ was your home?"

Last edited by KappaKittyCat; 05-26-2003 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaKittyCat
Woah! You girls are on top of things! I wish you were rushing at my school!
Damn, these girls would scare people at Pville! My chapter was in shock that I knew our colors and philanthropy when I was rushing!
Old 05-26-2003, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

wow, you ladies are so dedicated! I think it's wonderful that you really appreciate what it means to be a greek women and that you are preparing yourselves so well. I hope that the chapters at your respective schools get to know and love you like we do. I know that almost any of us would love to have new members as dedicated as you are in our chapters!!! try not to stress out too much while waiting for rush, and keep up the great attitudes
Old 05-26-2003, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

You ladies are awesome with the encouragement, but you're not helping me focus on things other than rush! At this rate, I think I may scare the people here...

Seriously, thanks ladies for taking time to listen and encourage us. It means alot!
HUGS!
Old 05-26-2003, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Yall are so adorable! You are making me so excited to find out how rush goes for you, and I don't even know you!
Old 05-26-2003, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks guys. i just hope the dedication in my heart shows in my actions.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I'm sure it will, smiley21. I'm really rooting for you!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Awww you girls! You're too cute! *tear* It reminds me of when I was going through rush! (Yeah, I too was that girl who had all of the sorority facts memorized. I think I weired out and shocked the Pi Phi who preffed me 'cause I was telling her details about Pi Phi! LOL) I know all of your excitement and preparations will pay off, and no matter what I know you all will have a great time with it. Any sorority should be tickled pink to call you one of its members.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AZpinkkittie
A lot of my reasons are probably the same as every other PNM's but I'll put 'em down anyway:

The idea of being a part of a sisterhood means a lot to me. I have always been the type to get close to my friends, and I think that's so important. Sometimes friends are the only family someone has.

Involvement in school/campus activities is part of the reason I attend college. Being a sister gives you the opportunity to be a part of your campus in a bunch of different ways, from homecoming to greek week. It makes school more fun.

This is a great way to be involved in a philanthropy. I've done charity events in the past and doing that kind of work is just good for the soul, and this way you can do it with your friends.

The leadership/career opportunities a sorority offers can't be beat. Everywhere you go, you have connections and experience that can help you in so many ways.

And meeting all of you guys on GC has made me see that what I hoped to find in a sorority really exists.

I just hope that my desire to be involved comes across when it really matters, during rush.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
Why I should be in a sorority...

I don't even know where to begin...when I clicked on the topic, its weird, but the phrase "why I should be in a sorority" seems kind of odd to me, saying, OF COURSE I'LL GET A BID B/C I AM THE BEST AND EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW IT. haha, NOT!! Regardless, however, AND being a PNM and all (not to impune the thread starter of course)...I think I'd be more comfortable with, why I WOULD want to be in one or why I think a chapter WOULD benefit in me being a sister....

and THAT I can talk about, so here it goes:

Reasons for wanting to rush and join a sorority in the first place:

Growing up I have always had best friends and good friends to talk about things with, whatever it may be, but really, when it came down to the REALLY important stuff, I turned to my two older brothers. Despite not being girls, they were family, people I could always rely on, trust and know that they would be there for me, no matter what I chose to do in life. But however, they were boys and I was a girl, the family baby as it were, and sometimes I wish I had a sister to talk about the "feminine" things, probably because I can relate to them more. I guess just be I've always been pretty outgoing and not really one of those people to hold that much in. Probably why I'm majoring in Psychology haha. But anyway...My mom was in a sorority and I just remember her telling me all about things she used to do, I saw pictures from old photo albums and I asked her why she joined her sorority when I was probably about 7. She has two older brothers as well and had basically the same intentions I did and turned out to be an amazing asset to her sorority, being Social chair and everything. Since then, I knew I wanted to join and be apart of something so special. I wanted sisters I could count on and that I could care about and support as well; and thats why I want to be apart of a sorority. Talking to some of you already on GC have made me just want to be apart of greek life so much more. Although none of us have met, I already feel so supported and I love that feeling. Its truly fantastic.

Being involved and having had experience with 5 completely different organizations have really opened my eyes to all different kinds of people, I love the diversity and get bored with just one type of someone. Thats what I think a sorority would bring, diversity but coming together for all the right reasons, kind of like a basketball game (not really but sorta) All these different people in one place all there for the sole reason of watching an exciting basketball game. Everyone has different reasons for being there, but the point is there are there, cheering each other on, etc. I kind of look at being in a sorority the same way. I just home I get my ticket hehe! If i actually had to categorize myself, I would be pretty high on the "rank" list. Its funny to hear me say that because I'm not cocky or self absorbed at all, but when listing all I have done and all of my goals, aspirations and hopes for myself, I'm a pretty well-rounded individual and I'm pretty confident with who I am as well: I'm smart, outgoing, funny, positive and optimistic, a great listener, pretty darn cute () and I have a personality to match. I tend to make friends really really easily and get close with them pretty fast. I have one of those personalities that I guess is addiciting (or at least most people tell me that hehe) I have goals and I am motivated and enjoy life and just being myself. I hope when rushing, sisters will see that also Thanks again to all those GC'ers that support us PNMs. You have all been so terrific and can't wait till recruitment begins!
Old 05-29-2003, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Y'all are great! Seriously, remember these replies-- everyday of Recruitment this fall, you will go into 6-7 houses and be asked the same three questions everday at every party by 3-6 ladies per house:

1) What's your major?
2) Where are you from?
3) What year are you?

You need to come up with something that sets you apart and makes the sorority latch onto you--- your marketing hook-- remembering the reasons you want to join and the reasons you'd be an asset to the sorority will help you stand out from the crowd!

I can't wait to see where you all end up!
Old 05-29-2003, 03:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf

I can't wait to see where you all end up!
Neither can I.