GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,250
1 members and 2,249 guests
indygphib

Old 10-08-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
I have a question about GPA. Do the Universities normally give the chapters the weighted or unweighted GPA?
I am curious on this point.

My high school did not weight GPA at all. If you got a B in an honors or AP course, your transcript listed the honors/AP course but also listed the B.

My husband's high school did weight GPAs. His GPA was pulled down because he was in the chorus, which was considered a class, and, even though he got straight A's, he was not tapped for valedictorian or salutatorian for this reason.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Typically, the PHs that give a GPA to the sororities for the PNMs give the core subject GPAs that the school accepted for admission.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Back in my day, , my Virginia high school only weighted the GPA if you got a 4 or 5 on the AP test; BUT, the AP classes used a different grading scale than the normal/honors classes.
For AP it was a 10 point scale. The lowest points per grade were 90=A, 80=B, 70=C, 60=D.
For other classes it was a 6 point scale. 94-100=A, 87-93=B, 79-86=C and 70-78=D.

So, by default your AP classes were weighted more favorably without being obvious. But I hated the 6 point scale with a passion. Especially since I was from California and knew that it was not the norm! I still think about how much better my GPA could have been if the scale had been standard with the rest of the country.

*Both were on a 4.0 scale, not the 6.0 scale that some schools use.

*I googled and found out that VA Beach has come out of the dark ages as of 2010! It looks like in the mid 80s they moved to the 6 point scale from the 5 point scale. In reading another link, it sounds like quite a few schools in VA still have scales other than the 10. https://pilotonline.com/news/local/e...70180d2a3.html

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 10-09-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:03 PM

^ So, if you took AP classes during your senior year, you wouldn't know your definitive final HS GPA until AP grades were sent out in July?

How did your HS determine class rank? Did they just go by your GPA as of the end of junior year, appropriately weighted if you'd taken any AP classes during your sophomore and junior years? (That's what my HS did. Class rank was based on your GPA as of the end of junior year - and, as I mentioned earlier, GPA was completely unweighted. I could have completely blown off my senior year and gotten straight F's and I would still have been valedictorian.)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
^ So, if you took AP classes during your senior year, you wouldn't know your definitive final HS GPA until AP grades were sent out in July?

How did your HS determine class rank? Did they just go by your GPA as of the end of junior year, appropriately weighted if you'd taken any AP classes during your sophomore and junior years? (That's what my HS did. Class rank was based on your GPA as of the end of junior year - and, as I mentioned earlier, GPA was completely unweighted. I could have completely blown off my senior year and gotten straight F's and I would still have been valedictorian.)
Yes, the weight was so small though, less than a tenth and only if you scored 4 or 5. (In San Diego, it seems it's at least a tenth and has a bigger impact.) I want to say we had our test scores before mid-June when we graduated, because I was over the moon to have done better on the test than my class grades would have indicated.

When it came to class rank, our upper tier students were so neck and neck that you would think that the bump would make a bigger difference. We sure as heck knew where each other landed on the list and what classes everyone was taking. The truth was though that since they were taking the same classes and getting similar grades they'd get the same scores too. So it was a wash.

Actually, my senior year there was DRAMA, because a girl returned to our school that year, after having been in Boston for 9th-11th grade. She had gone to VB schools through Junior High so she was well known. Based on GPA she was #2, but everyone pointed out that her grades were "easier". The girl who was edged out of the honor was eventually allowed to give a speech at graduation as an "honorary" salutatorian.

Googling again, it looks like now they weight based on your class grade instead of your test score. I'm not sure how I feel about that though, now everyone who passes those classes gets a bump. That would make it more impactful.

Here's what VA Beach has for weighting:
After the grade point average of the student has been determined, bonus credit will be added for advanced placement courses and specifically approved courses such as international baccalaureate and magnet courses. The Department of Teaching and Learning will determine which courses are to receive bonus credit. Bonus credit will be awarded as follows for year courses: (A, A-) =.0488, (B+, B, B-) =.0366, (C+, C, C-) =.0244, (D+, D) =.0122, E=O. Bonus credit will be awarded as follows for semester courses: (A , A-) = .0244; (B+, B, B-) = .0183; (C+, C, C-) = .0122; (D+, D) = .0061; and E = 0.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I want to say we had our test scores before mid-June when we graduated, because I was over the moon to have done better on the test than my class grades would have indicated.
When I was in HS in the early 1990s, we didn't get our AP test scores until July. I distinctly remember my AP computer science teacher signing my yearbook (in June) congratulating me on being the first woman in the school district to get a 5 on the AP CS test. The tests had not even been scored. He told me that my classwork was so exemplary that he'd be shocked if I didn't get a 5. Sure enough ... I got my test scores in mid-July and I'd gotten a 5.

I had the opposite experience from yours when I took AP US History. I got straight A's in the class, but I only scored a 2 on the exam. I always hated social studies and history.

Anyway - I'm threadjacking. KSUViolet is bang on. You're not getting into a sorority if your grades are mediocre. Every sorority has a national minimum GPA for initiation. Every sorority chapter is looking to be above the all-sorority and all-greek average GPA. So if your GPA is 2.49, your chances are slim to none, and Slim just left town.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

TTT for 2019!
Old 07-14-2019, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump up for everyone who is doing winter/spring recruitment as well, a solid first semester GPA is beyond important!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Since there was talk about weighted vs non-weighted GPAs - here is how Oklahoma State University addresses the issue of high school grades. I know there are other schools that do something similar.

The Panhellenic Council does not set specific academic conditions for you to participate in recruitment. However, it is important to understand each chapter has grade point average requirements set by its inter/national organization and the local members. It is possible, but extremely rare, for exceptions to be made to these guidelines. These individual requirements are listed in the 2017 Recruitment Booklet on the chapter profile pages.

Please note that you are not asked to provide your own academic information on your application because your academic record will be verified using the Student Information System (SIS). The high school GPA that the Panhellenic Council accepts is the Core GPA provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, which is also used for admittance into Oklahoma State University. Core GPA is defined below.

15-Unit Core Curricular Requirements:

4 units of English (grammar, composition and literature);
3 units of mathematics (algebra I, geometry, algebra II and above);
3 units of history and citizenship skills (Must include 1 unit of American history and 2 units from the subjects of history, economics, geography, government, civics and/or non-western culture);
3 units lab science (biology, chemistry, physical sciences, physics or any lab science certified by school district); and
2 units of other courses selected from any of the sections above or computer science or foreign language.
AP and higher-level IB courses are identified and weighted in the Core GPA (i.e. If a student makes a B in AP language composition, it is calculated as an A. An earned A grade is given an extra point when calculated.)
*While the State Regents strongly support the initiation of honors courses, honors weighting will not be used in the calculation of either high school (overall or core) GPA because there is no equitable mechanism to include the honors premium
Old 07-15-2019, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

In my opinion, mediocre or average grades is in the 3.0-3.5 category, which will not prevent someone from being in a sorority. It may get a PNM cut from certain chapters, but there are definitely places for average PNM's. Even if it is just in the context of a generalization, I would hate for a PNM to read the title of this thread and find it unnecessarily discouraging.

I got in my sorority, at an SEC school, with a 2.9 after my first year of college. I did rush twice, but I had a good experience during my first rush, even though it didn't end the way I'd hoped. I also got my highest semester GPA the semester after I joined. So a PNM worried about grades should just make sure they have everything else in order and go through it and hope for the best. I feel like being outgoing, friendly, and presenting myself well ultimately outweighed my grades. it may not work that way for everyone, but it's worth a shot. Anyone with grade concerns needs to work hard on recs, outfits, conversation and just cross their fingers and hope for the best. There's more to be gained than to be lost

And I would argue that being in a sorority helps grades for a number of reasons. The required study hours, the motivation of wanting to go to events, and having automatic study groups/tutors among your sisters can help a lot. Networking 100% can help with academics and grades. Like everyone keeps saying, there's exceptions to everything, but I think there's enough people that "better under pressure" personality to be worth mentioning. That's a really common trait.

Just my thoughts. I understand what OP was trying to say, and academics do need to be emphasized among PNM's who are unaware of how important they are to Greek life. But I also think there's a balance in acting like sororities are only for the 4.0 class presidents types. I don't know how sororities have changed over the years, but this is my view as a current student and sorority member. Greek life may not be for everyone, but it is more inclusive and accessible than some people believe. That's part of what makes it so wonderful.

And yes, you can graduate with a 2.5. Particular majors may require higher, but a 2.5 is a B/C average, with a 2.0 being a C average. I've known people to graduate with 1.somethings. Not saying that's good, and I agree with the grad school comment, just throwing that out there.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj74 View Post
In my opinion, mediocre or average grades is in the 3.0-3.5 category, which will not prevent someone from being in a sorority. It may get a PNM cut from certain chapters, but there are definitely places for average PNM's. Even if it is just in the context of a generalization, I would hate for a PNM to read the title of this thread and find it unnecessarily discouraging.

I got in my sorority, at an SEC school, with a 2.9 after my first year of college. I did rush twice, but I had a good experience during my first rush, even though it didn't end the way I'd hoped. I also got my highest semester GPA the semester after I joined. So a PNM worried about grades should just make sure they have everything else in order and go through it and hope for the best. I feel like being outgoing, friendly, and presenting myself well ultimately outweighed my grades. it may not work that way for everyone, but it's worth a shot. Anyone with grade concerns needs to work hard on recs, outfits, conversation and just cross their fingers and hope for the best. There's more to be gained than to be lost

And I would argue that being in a sorority helps grades for a number of reasons. The required study hours, the motivation of wanting to go to events, and having automatic study groups/tutors among your sisters can help a lot. Networking 100% can help with academics and grades. Like everyone keeps saying, there's exceptions to everything, but I think there's enough people that "better under pressure" personality to be worth mentioning. That's a really common trait.

Just my thoughts. I understand what OP was trying to say, and academics do need to be emphasized among PNM's who are unaware of how important they are to Greek life. But I also think there's a balance in acting like sororities are only for the 4.0 class presidents types. I don't know how sororities have changed over the years, but this is my view as a current student and sorority member. Greek life may not be for everyone, but it is more inclusive and accessible than some people believe. That's part of what makes it so wonderful.

And yes, you can graduate with a 2.5. Particular majors may require higher, but a 2.5 is a B/C average, with a 2.0 being a C average. I've known people to graduate with 1.somethings. Not saying that's good, and I agree with the grad school comment, just throwing that out there.

1. Super glad you got a bid but I find that the low grade girls get cut heavy. You had an unsuccessful first recruitment, yes? Were you cut heavy both times or did you have a full schedule every day both times?

2. Is it all they're looking for? No - but balance is everything.

3. Yes. You can graduate with a 2.5 at some schools. But that is pretty bare minimum and it's not incredibly helpful unless you're well connected in the area.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Banned

To your third point, my alma mater and the University I work for both have a 2.0 graduation requirement, as do most schools I’m aware of as that is a C average. Also GPA is very dependent on college environment. I know some Panhellenic communities cut most PNM’s at a 3.0 or below but if my alma mater did that the recruitment pool would be cut in half on the first day and make it difficult for chapters to recruit sustainable classes. Every campuses “mediocre” is different.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
1. Super glad you got a bid but I find that the low grade girls get cut heavy. You had an unsuccessful first recruitment, yes? Were you cut heavy both times or did you have a full schedule every day both times?

2. Is it all they're looking for? No - but balance is everything.

3. Yes. You can graduate with a 2.5 at some schools. But that is pretty bare minimum and it's not incredibly helpful unless you're well connected in the area.

Agreed, low grade girls get cut heavy. I'm mostly just disputing the mediocre part of the thread title, because a girl can most definitely, and most likely will, get in a sorority with mediocre grades. no one is getting released entirely from recruitment because of a 3.2. (which was clarified in the body paragraph, I just feel like having that in the title is misleading).

I would consider my grades at the time bad, so yeah my story is probably the exception. I was released entirely from my first recruitment. The second time around I did spring recruitment (which I recommend to anyone with a lower GPA, since they don't have to make as many heavy cuts in the beginning and they get to know your personality more), and not all sororities do spring recruitment on my campus. Only 4 of the 12 participated this year, I believe. So, were my options severely limited because of my grades, both times? Yes!!! But I got into the #1 house that I had been hoping for since the first time around and I couldn't be happier. I feel even more grateful knowing that even though i wasn't the ideal PNM on paper, they still saw something in me that made them want to have me as a sister.

All this to say, girls with mediocre grades have little to worry about unless they are trying to be in the house with the top GPA on campus, and girls with lower grades have something to worry about, but they should still try anyway. It always improves a girl's chances to have a 4.0 on top of their looks, personality, etc. but if they don't have time to improve their GPA you just have to go in with the best you've got.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Just because PH allows you to register at a 2.5 or even lower does not mean that a single one of the chapters on that campus can pledge someone with that low a GPA.
This. When I was at IU, the minimum GPA to go through recruitment was 2.5. However, most of the individual sororities’ minimum GPA requirements were significantly higher. Only a few sororities would even consider offering a second-round invite to someone with a 2.5. (Back then, it was partially deferred- round 1 was in October or November, then every other round was done after winter break - you’d come back a week early from break to do all the rest of the rounds, and you wouldn’t know who invited you back until you returned to campus. Now it’s totally deferred.)

These days, the PHA minimum has gone up to 2.8, and I imagine the individual organizations’ requirements are higher still. (I could only find the PHA minimum on their page.)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I was at a graduation party last weekend, and the honoree's elder brother is in a fraternity. He & I talked, and he told me that the ADPi chapter at his school required a 3.75 for initiation. I was shocked, impressed, and dismayed, all at the same time!