GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,440
2 members and 2,438 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Rush/Recruitment~2007

Would be delighted to hear from any of you on Rush~Recruitment at Ole Miss!
It sounds like things have sure changed since my college days in the late 70's. I
will have fraternal twins attending Ole Miss in the fall. They have their resumes, pictures and transcripts on their way to the sororities, as well as recs from friends
and relatives. How important are recs from Ole Miss Alum's? What should have been listed on the resumes? Is "Rush" at Ole Miss as competitive as everyone
is telling me? It looks to be one of the hardest in the country...nothing like a little
competition to get you going in the Fall!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennissusan View Post
Is "Rush" at Ole Miss as competitive as everyone is telling me?
Yes. Or moreso.

Good luck to your girls!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

First off, this is coming from a guy down at Miss. State who has no firsthand knowledge of rushing at Ole Miss. However, from what my friends at Ole Miss (and "brothers" up there) have said...yeah, it's really tough rushing there...extremely competitive. From what they've said, a rec from Ole Miss alumni is definitely recommended, if not required (depending upon the chapter you're rushing).

As a matter of fact, I'm planning to transfer up there Fall 08...and coming from a Sigma Nu colony (not having been initiated yet) it'll still be rough for me if I don't have my badge (i.e. our chater) yet.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

How are the KD's at ole miss? i hear they are one of the best!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush is competitive here, but so long as your girls don't go in with their hearts set on one sorority and one sorority only, they should do fine. As for recs, try to get at least one for every sorority. They don't have to be from an alum, just someone who knows your girls well and can speak a lot about their characters. Good luck to your girls!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Phi Mu View Post
Rush is competitive here, but so long as your girls don't go in with their hearts set on one sorority and one sorority only, they should do fine. As for recs, try to get at least one for every sorority. They don't have to be from an alum, just someone who knows your girls well and can speak a lot about their characters. Good luck to your girls!
Thanks for your honest insight regarding Ole Miss's recruitement! It's such a beautiful campus; everyone is so darn nice and helpful. We are moving in this weekend as I am typing this...oh my goodness those dorm rooms are small! My girls and their roommates from back home are so excited. My girls have recs/rifs in for all the houses and their resumes,pictures and transcripts have long been sent to the sorority chapters. My only concern is they only have average grades from high school...but
they all are great girls...are grades so important they would not take girls who have
alot to offer a chapter?

All of the girls from our hometown will be going thru rush...they are so excited about the whole thing...but I'm not sure they truly understand the procedure, but I know that will be explained at convocation.
Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out...thanks again!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

TennisSusan,

I pm'd you!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennissusan View Post
My only concern is they only have average grades from high school...but they all are great girls...are grades so important they would not take girls who have
alot to offer a chapter?
Grade requirements vary from chapter to chapter. I believe they are going to start to have Gamma Chi meetings this week, so they can ask them. I'm sure that they are excited cause water parties are a week from this Sunday!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know what the water parties are?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sort of 'Open House' at the sorority houses. All they serve is water. Lets the girls get a glimpse of things...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Rush article

An article from today's Daily Mississippian regarding rush at Ole Miss that some of you might be interested in:

http://media.www.thedmonline.com/med...-2948141.shtml
Old 09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter will also be going through rush at Ole Miss at the end of this month. Being from South Carolina, she doesn't have any "ins" with any of the houses; except that she is a KD legacy. Both my sister and I were KD's at UCF in Orlando.

Sounds like from my conversations with my daughter, the Gamma Chi's meet with their small group every Wednesday to prepare them for the experience. Sounds like a great idea. She has all her recs but 2 (still working on those).

I must say it is a little intimidating to hear how competitive rush is at Ole Miss -- I just told my daughter to find the group of girls that she feels the most comfortable with and that she feels that she will be the most productive with. I know my best friend to this day (a KD a year behind me) would agree.

Good luck to your daughter, Tennissusan. Hey, by the way, my daughter was born in Tennessee!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It's competitive. Like others have said get your recs and just go through with an open mind. All 9 houses are very good and have lots to offer to PNMs!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Do we know yet how many girls are signed up for rush at Ole Miss? Has the deadline past? Just curious.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
Do we know yet how many girls are signed up for rush at Ole Miss? Has the deadline past? Just curious.
The deadline was on Friday, but I haven't heard about the final number yet.