GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,320
2 members and 1,318 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 09-14-2017, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

LSU Fraternity Pledge Dead is Suspected Hazing Incident

This is so very tragic. My prayers are with the family. With children this age, I cannot even begin to comprehend what this family is going through.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...d855372cd.html
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

The University shut down all activities of all Greek organizations pending investigation. That is so much bullshit. Tragic. If Phi Delt hazed and ended up killing someone, ban the from campus permanently. There is no rational reason for the nuclear option here.

And there may even be some Constitutional issues here. Does banning all activities abridge students' right of peaceful assembly?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it was put into place for damage control and public relations. In the day of social media, it would reflect badly on the university if someone filmed a wild party or exchange with excess drinking this weekend. I have friends who have daughters there, and they said that the chapters don't mind things being suspended right now. Nobody is really in the mood to attend a party, and that they feel like to do so would be disrespectful to the family. I think that a long term suspension would be very unfair.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Then the school should let IFC, NPC, NPHC, etc., vote to suspend all activities within their own conferences. Schools which enact these blanket suspensions on innocent organizations are potentially violating their students' rights. These organizations need the opportunity to correct themselves before being subject to a heavy handed and overbroad government response.

And from a PR standpoint, this sends the message that all of Greek Life has this problem when in reality, it is only one fraternity being investigated as far as we know.

Last edited by Kevin; 09-15-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This was on Good Morning America today.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/lsu-suspen...opstories.html
Old 09-15-2017, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

That is the problem in todays society! One does something, and all get punished for it. Never mind all of the great things that GLOs do for society, community, and school. That is not NEWS WORTHY but the other is and it really pisses me off!

No news group has a article about the millions of dollars donated for good causes!

Some are St. Jude, Feeding America and others. Plus the many signs with Greek names on the for picking up trash on American highways. Sad but that doesn't count does it?

But as a counter point, when Greeks haze, have alchohal deaths it is a red flag and harms all of us.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Tom, it's not the same everywhere. Kappa Sigma recently left UCO because of hazing. The University recognized that it was a UCO Kappa Sigma problem and I understand that Kappa Sigma HQ made the decision to pull the plug and not come back for the foreseeable future. Left to their own devices, most of our HQs will do the thing the school wants them to do if those things are fair and appropriate.

But upending every single freshman pledge's experience because one organization did something extremely stupid is ridiculous. If we don't call it what it is, then we invite this sort of thing to happen again and again.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Kevin, I agree that it is not a nation wide situation but also reminds me when NYU Alfred banned ALL Fraternities over an incident, a hazing death, by a local Fraternity.
I just want a tone set where a single group chokes all others.
P D T it is reported to have been suspected of on going hazing problems.

One would think that when situations like at LSU occur that all Nationals would make sure all of their chapters will be punished. LXA already has harsh plans in place if this happens.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-16-2017, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Alfred is a private college. LSU is public. There are entirely different sets of rules.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 PM

I'm with you, Kevin. I was a grad student at MIT when Scott Krueger died as a result of hazing at FIJI. MIT immediately enacted a form of the nuclear option by banning alcohol at any event where anyone under 21 might be present - not just fraternity events, but ALL events. This put the kibosh on department Christmas parties, dorm parties, etc.

MIT did take a step back. Within a few months, alcohol was no longer verboten, but some sweeping changes were made. For example, freshmen must now live in dormitories - before this incident, fraternity pledges moved into the house the moment they signed. (To allow for this, a new dorm was built, and two graduate dorms were turned into undergrad housing.)

Anyway ... My prayers are with the family of this young man. Scott Krueger died 20 years ago, and apparently we have learned nothing.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Delta Theta has a national policy of Alcohol Free Housing and Hazing. They have been alcohol free since 2000. As expected Phi Delta Theta is investigating this incident.

When I was an advisor for my service fraternity, we were accused of hazing. We had a hazing investigation. It was not pretty. (We had a new member that returned from ritual with bruises on her legs. She was that one person that would walk into a bench and be bruised. We were found not guilty and the accusation was proven false.)

Tom, I believe that most GLOs have policies against hazing and punishments for offenders, not just LXA.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Unless your organization takes a hard line on hazing, they're going to have serious trouble finding liability insurance.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicampbell View Post
Phi Delta Theta has a national policy of Alcohol Free Housing and Hazing.
Just curious - how extensive is the alcohol-free housing policy? Are brothers who are of legal drinking age allowed to keep booze in their rooms? (AEPhi's policy is that even sisters who are of legal drinking age cannot have booze in the house. I think that's true for most, if not all, NPC sororities. Of course, NIC is a whole different animal.)

There is a chapter of Phi Delta Theta at my school. Apparently, they had a party on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, that was shut down by the police when they discovered underage drinking going on. Double whammy here - this was during rush, and rush is supposed to be dry.

Last edited by aephi alum; 09-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicampbell View Post
Phi Delta Theta has a national policy of Alcohol Free Housing and Hazing. They have been alcohol free since 2000. As expected Phi Delta Theta is investigating this incident.

When I was an advisor for my service fraternity, we were accused of hazing. We had a hazing investigation. It was not pretty. (We had a new member that returned from ritual with bruises on her legs. She was that one person that would walk into a bench and be bruised. We were found not guilty and the accusation was proven false.)

Tom, I believe that most GLOs have policies against hazing and punishments for offenders, not just LXA.
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how did the hazing accusation come about? Did a friend/family member see the new member's bruising and report it?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry for the family and for all who will be changed forever as a result of this loss.

An excellent film on alcohol abuse and hazing was shared across the Greek community - maybe more than seven years ago (can it be when Phi Delta Theta went alcohol free? That would be 17 years ago!). I thought it was a Phi Delta Theta production and that it came out of a similar tragedy. Even in that training and awareness program, it was emphasized that a college organization has a complete turnover at least every four years so the story has to be retold and retold. In that line, there is an alcohol awareness program on campus every fall. There must be some unreality factor in the idea that alcohol can actually poison a person.