GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,144
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, dartyparty
» Online Users: 594
0 members and 594 guests
No Members online

Old 05-23-2000, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Question curious

That issuse with Kobe Bryant got me to thinking... What do you all think about whites joing black soror/frat. Cause I know a white Omega who married a white Delta. Just curious.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-25-2000, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I was not aware you could do that. I wonder, did they have a hard time being accepted and respected in their organization?
Old 05-25-2000, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by kaidi06; 10-24-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: ...
Old 05-25-2000, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh!!!1 man, without sounding corny, I must say that sometimes people's habits, likes and dislikes make them black or white. I am close with this soror who happens to be Italian. The night I met her she was as mean as mean can be tome. After I crossed we became really close. It is the way they feel about themselves and your org. what is going to attract them to it. I really don't care. If I see youhave something to offer and can benefit from the org., YOU ARE IN. (OF COURSE AFTER...) HE HE!!!
Old 05-25-2000, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

ALSO: I don't know how many of youwent to Phily last year or to NYc step show. There are these few members of PHI BETA SIGAM Fraternity- THE SHOW WAS CRAZY HOT- They came out with masks- After they did their thing, the guys take off the mask and- like 2 or 3 or them were white. One I met in Phily and he was from South Carolina. The Sigmas I was with gave him crazy love. I guess it depends on the people and how the person carries him/herself.
Moral of the story is: DOES IT REALLY MATTER?
Old 05-25-2000, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I AM SOOOO SORRY FOR THE TYPE-O:

PHI BETA SIGMA FRAT. that is
SORRY!!!!
Old 05-25-2000, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

UMMMMMMMMMMMm...... I guess I better leave this one alone...............I will say this though one of the reasons BGLOS were founded for BLACK college students that needed someone else to identify with them(on white campuses) because they were not ALLOWED in white greek organizations adn because they were consantly harassed at white schools by other whites and made to feel like outcast. By joining a BGLO they gained acceptance amonst each other and it made their college life a little easier. Instead of going off completely into my feelings on this I will just pose a different ques. If you form an organization for BLACK people wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose if you allow a WHITE person to join? Just a question?
Old 05-26-2000, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

OH SORRY FOR THE TYPOS. I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION THOUGHT. WOULDN'T ALLOWING A WHITE PERSON JOIN AN ORGANIZATION CREATED FOE BLACK PEOPLE BE JUST LIKE ALLOWING A ZETA JOIN THE AKAS ALTHOUGH THAT ORG WAS CREATED SPECIFICALLY FOR THEM?
Old 05-26-2000, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Pretty- FIRST THING FIRST- I AM NOT ATTACKING YOU~ but... comparing allowing a Zeta into AKA is not, in my opinion, the best of analogies- I mean- AKA was not make for AKA, it was made for Ladies who thought theyhad what it takes. You are not born one, YOU MUST EARN IT AND BECOME ONE- Of course I know the history that led to the formation of these orgs., yet, living in the past won't help at all. Hell yeah, I do allI cana to help fellow "minorities" - Hell yes maybe some of them might understand certain things but... I AM NOT WHAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD CONSIDERE BLACK- In fact I wasn't even born in the US. You would never know this about me just by looking at me. Sooo, does this mean I am not Black? I am sure many of our founders formed our respective orgs. to uplift us and help the community, to make us closer to one another, but don't you think that we would be reapeting the same ignorant act by segretaing non-Blacks?
I mean, just my 22 cents.
HOlla back tell me what you think- Maybe you can chance or re-shape some of my ideas.
PEACE LADY!!!!!!!!!!
And remember- We have agreed to disagree, but not to disrespect each other- I LEARN THAT FROM YOU!!!!!!!! HE HE!! Later lady.
Old 05-26-2000, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prettygyrl:
UMMMMMMMMMMMm...... I guess I better leave this one alone...............I will say this though one of the reasons BGLOS were founded for BLACK college students that needed someone else to identify with them(on white campuses) because they were not ALLOWED in white greek organizations adn because they were consantly harassed at white schools by other whites and made to feel like outcast. By joining a BGLO they gained acceptance amonst each other and it made their college life a little easier. Instead of going off completely into my feelings on this I will just pose a different ques. If you form an organization for BLACK people wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose if you allow a WHITE person to join? Just a question?
No, it doesn't defeat the purpose. You don't have to be a specific color to uplift the African American Community. True enough it helps A LOT to have a similar historical bond, but it's not necessary.

Be aware that somewhere in the thousands on women that are AKAs, there are non-African American members...as a matter of fact, a very close Soror of mine watched a Caucasian AKA graduate from Texas Tech this year. There are Caucasian Deltas, I'm sure there are a few Caucasian Zetas and SGRho's too.

IF a Caucasian woman has the conviction to survive the heavy grilling she's likely to be subjected upon applying to a BLGO, especially seeing, as you said, we were founded to fill a need in our communities, AND she fulfills our other requirements, then I say more power to her.

As for Cutiepie2000's statement: "Yes, it is true that BGLO were founded because at one time, black students were not permitted to join what was then "white" fraternities and sororities. However, times are changing all the time."

The times have not changed all that much (true, we're not where we were, but we're not where we should be either), because there is still a dire NEED for the organizations founded for and by African Americans.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 05-26-2000, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I have no problem with non African American members. As long as they work as hard for Zeta as all of the other members, than it is fine!

GFK>I am willing to bet you saw the 'Unknown' Sigmas step. And yes girl, they throw down!

Old 05-26-2000, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Last edited by kaidi06; 10-24-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: ...
Old 05-26-2000, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

LMAO!!! they are the bomb but they should change their show at least a little....i remember seeing that show in 1996 and it's still going strong!

Quote:
Originally posted by kaidi06:
Yeah the "Unknowns" throw down... But when are they gonna throw down something NEW? If I see that damn "Back to the Motherland" and whipped cream piece again I'll go crazy! Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just hatin' cause I done lost to them cats like 5 times.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 05-26-2000, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Just curious...who are the "unknown Sigmas"?
Old 05-26-2000, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
The Unknown Sigmas are a group of members of Phi Beta Sigma, who travel around the country and participate in various stepshows. Any money they win goes to charities/programs that PBS sanctions.

ZetaAce