GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,186
2 members and 2,184 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Alpha colonizes at Capital!

The women of Zeta Pi Lambda have extended an invitation to Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority to colonize at Capital University in the Spring of 2012. Congratulations!
ASA will be the second NPC chapter to colonize at Capital -- DPhiE colonized in 2010.

Alpha Sigma Tau and Theta Phi Alpha also presented.

Last edited by Benzgirl; 04-14-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Yay!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to ASA!

(I also find it funny that AST, ASA and Theta Phi are the 3 sororities that are at my alma mater )

@~/~~~~
Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hooray!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh wow!!!!! Hubby has 2 cousins we're pretty close with who are Zeta's from Capital. i wonder if they will have the option to affiliated in some alumae capacity? The Local system there is very old and established. Congrats to ASA though!

DPhiE didn't absorb a Local, did they?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Oh wow!!!!! Hubby has 2 cousins we're pretty close with who are Zeta's from Capital. i wonder if they will have the option to affiliated in some alumae capacity? The Local system there is very old and established. Congrats to ASA though!

DPhiE didn't absorb a Local, did they?
DPhiE did not absorb one of the locals; they had recruitment for the colony. They pledge 40 members according to the DPhiE Website. Based on Zeta's FB page, the alums are very unhappy about this. I have my opinion why, but one alum mentioned that they will lose their "freedom". (Read into that)

Capital has begun to add Greek Nationals in Fraternities too. Phi Psi and Alpha Sigma Phi colonized in 2010. I'm very happy for them.

Question, will it ever happen at Otterbein? PhoenixAzul?

Last edited by Benzgirl; 04-14-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Otterbein has some other national orgs, so I wouldnt be surprised if the all Locals there go that way too.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
The women of Zeta Pi Lambda have extended an invitation to Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority to colonize at Capital University in the Spring of 2012. Congratulations!
ASA will be the second NPC chapter to colonize at Capital -- DPhiE colonized in 2010.

Alpha Sigma Tau and Theta Phi Alpha also presented.
I'm kind of sad at the response of some of their people/alumnae on their FB wall...some of those things should not be said in that public of a forum. This doesn't appear to be an entire-group decision (or maybe it's just the alums that are upset). Either way, I wish them luck in becoming my sisters.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

How exciting! AlphaFrog, I looked to see what comments you meant, and they made me sad and a bit discouraged, too. Having worked with another local-to-colony transition, I can see why there are concerns and disappointments. I hope in time they will come to see it as an opportunity, not a loss.

Be a Volunteer!

Last edited by LouisaMay; 04-15-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

it seems the active are all for it (obviously), but the Alum are pissed. They have an Alum FB page as well, but we cant see the wall. From what I understand, there has been major drama with alumnae in the past few years.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
it seems the active are all for it (obviously), but the Alum are pissed. They have an Alum FB page as well, but we cant see the wall. From what I understand, there has been major drama with alumnae in the past few years.
This is what I meant...if there must be drama, at least it's happening in semi-private.

Not to sound cold to those alums, because I have no concept of the emotions they are feeling, but at least the actives will have 50,000+ new alums to support them through this.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
This is what I meant...if there must be drama, at least it's happening in semi-private.

Not to sound cold to those alums, because I have no concept of the emotions they are feeling, but at least the actives will have 50,000+ new alums to support them through this.
I like the way you think.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM

I think the fact that we're not shoving the ladybug down their throats (to be respectful of one of the longstanding locals who uses the ladybug) should tell the alums something. Good call on our part - the last thing you want to do is barrel in like a bull in a china shop.

LM - did any of the already-graduated alumnae at Frostburg elect to get initiated? I'm assuming we can do that.

I do understand where the alums are coming from, because the local tradition really is strong in Ohio. I'd much rather be in a situation like this where the actives are excited and happy about becoming national rather than one where they're being told "go national or die" and they only do it grudgingly.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl:
I know that several alums expressed interest in AI while I was visiting. We had a pretty nice list of women who wanted more information (maybe 10?), but I am only 100% sure that one was initated. She is the chapter advisor now, and she is wonderful. The girls love her, and she was honored at District Day in November as Advisor of the Year for D3. She's adorable!

Be a Volunteer!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

One more thing...
I knew the ladybug mascot was an issue. How was that handled? I'm not quite sure what "not shoving the ladybug down their throats" really means (gotta love your style, 33girl).

Are the ASAs just avoiding the ladybug altogether?

Be a Volunteer!