GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,386
1 members and 1,385 guests
FSUZeta

Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Starting a New Fraternity

I'm looking to actually start a new fraternity, not just a chapter of another one. I know it would start by making a club and getting people to join, do some fund raisers and social events, but what else needs to be done. What are all the steps to starting a fraternity and then becoming nationally recognized. I know it takes time, but can someone provide some kind of timeline to maybe what needs to be done whether it is legal, people to talk to, or events to hold?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I am wondering your reasons for wanting to start your own organization, as opposed to establishing a new chapter of an existing fraternity.

You may want to explain you reasoning, otherwise people here would think you believe something is wrong with the organization they are a member of, and committed to.

And then you not likely to get much help.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTGarner View Post
I'm looking to actually start a new fraternity, not just a chapter of another one. I know it would start by making a club and getting people to join, do some fund raisers and social events, but what else needs to be done. What are all the steps to starting a fraternity and then becoming nationally recognized. I know it takes time, but can someone provide some kind of timeline to maybe what needs to be done whether it is legal, people to talk to, or events to hold?
First off, it will take an extremly huge amount of time if you are looking to start out as a local per se and expand to a lager chapter basis.

It takes 15 years normaly to be accepted by NIC as a member. Expanding to other campuses is never easy to say the least.

Depending on your campus size and what GLOs are there is a start. How is your school in accepting any new group, how about the students, the size and is there a need?

Expansion today could take 5-10 years at least if evr.

You have a huge chore ahead of you if you decide to go for it.

Good luck in any advent.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTGarner View Post
Good luck to you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-08-2007, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck as well. it can be done. my chapter of DU started from nothing. we started from nothing, then to a local fraternity in 2002 and then joined with Delta Upsilon and we finally got chartered as a full fledged chapter of DU in 06.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I applaud the idea! I started my own Fraternity 7 years ago. We are going strong at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and we're already expanding. I will admit it helped to have a chapter house already lined up and we operate more as a business supported by brotherhood. Each chapter has to be an independent business in the state they reside and apart from sharing a ritual and a name, we all work together to support each other's unique aspects. It took the classic idea of a Fraternity and turned it into something I hope is a bit more modern. I'd be happy to give you any advice.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

A bunch of dudes did this a few years ago... I forget if it was Dartmouth, UConn or UMass or something, but they created a pretty big one a few years ago. There's an ebook on it that explains exactly how to get it done on your own. I think you could just start one on your own way more easily and quickly if you went underground for the first year or two. How to Start a Fraternity

Last edited by wiggle782; 09-28-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CARL4A1
Lightbulb what can i do to start my own fraternity at my school

Hi my name is Carl and im looking to find info about how i can start my own fraternity at my school i currently attend monroe college and ther are no fraternities around right now and i have a group of real close friends whom like my self are interested in starting our own fraternity
Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL4A1 View Post
Hi my name is Carl and im looking to find info about how i can start my own fraternity at my school i currently attend monroe college and ther are no fraternities around right now and i have a group of real close friends whom like my self are interested in starting our own fraternity
#1 - Check with your Student Life/Student Affairs department. Are fraternities allowed on your campus? Ask.

#2 - If they are allowed, has your campus ever had them? Which fraternities had chapters? (This knowledge makes it easier, because many fraternities want to recharter closed chapters.)

#3 - Is there an interest for fraternities on your campus? Your campus is going to want to know if more than just your group of friends are interested in having Greek Organizations. No point in starting a Greek org. and having it close after you and your friends graduate.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
Good luck with the insurance costs.
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL4A1 View Post
Hey Carl, I'm a Columbia student that is also looking to start a fraternity. It might be cool to have the fraternity be at two different schools in NYC
Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Good luck to you.
tanx.....wats ur fraternity?