GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,953
0 members and 1,953 guests
No Members online

Old 04-29-2002, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OnePlus69Is70
Question Rush on a budget

I'm my fraternity's recruitment chair for the fall, and I need ideas for a low-budget rush. We have NO money- my budget is going to be about $200 for the whole thing. We're a poor bunch of guys- most of us are putting ourselves through school, working 30 or 40 hours a week during the school year already. So I need to make this work cheap.

We also have zero support from our IFC. We have the most informal of informal rushes- every house does whatever it wants or can afford, advertises however it can, and issues bids to whomever. There's no coordination at all. I know that probably sounds like paradise to some people, but it seriously tips the scales in favor of the houses with ready cash.

So I need some suggestions for events we can hold. We will be in a much nicer house in the fall, an old Tudor with a volleyball court and a halfcourt out back. And our reputation on campus is good, among students and faculty. So we're not entirely without assets. But when I hear about chapters that are dropping a couple grand on opening weekends, I really start to twitch.

Thanks ahead of time!

-J
OD Local
University of Massachusetts
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

You don't need mechanical bulls or bungee jumping to have a good rush. Just make sure all of your guys are SOCIABLE.

Make sure they greet EVERYONE that comes in and treet them like family.

The right kind of fellas won't give a damn about how big the party is but the type of brothers they're going to have when everything is said and done.

LHT
Kevin
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-29-2002, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

If you can get the women to come out and hang out during rush, that's all you really need. Freshmen want to go where they're going to meet women!

Obviously, if you have nice facilities, esp. outdoor ones, milk them for all they are worth. Some burgers on the grill, a pickup volleyball game, and some music will suck in a lot of passers-by. And the only real cost for an event like that is the food.

The fraternities on my campus that were the most successful fell into two camps: Those with lucky locations and a nice porch who got the freshmen, and those who excelled throughout the year (did well in Greek Week, had high grades, elected a homecoming king) and attracted men by knowing them from classes and the dorms.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

If you need money get sponsers. its really easy. tell some businesses in your area you will put their sign on your house and you should get some money for rush. also, if your school allows alcohol sponsers get any beer company to sponsers you- most will do it. If that does not work try writing letters or calling alumni. sometimes you just need to ask.
pm me if you need any help. i'm on rush for my chapter and i'm trying to set up a plan to get corporate sponsers for every night. my goal is to have rush completely sponsored.