GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,360
1 members and 1,359 guests
John

Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethesand View Post
I'm not trying to be judgmental because I had serious concerns last year that Debbie might SIP but I wonder..... do girls SIP because they feel that it's better to be in THE ONE or none at all? It almost has a cut off your nose to spite your face moment of panic, over-reaction, drama, hurt feelings, anger, etc. I wonder if girls who've SIP'd can think back on it and agree that it was the best decision or if they regret it almost immediately. Just thinking out loud.

Side note: I told my husband last year that SIP was an option for my daughter and he looked at me like I was crazy. His words "I know it's been a lot of drama for you and her and I'm butting out but I hope you didn't encourage her to SIP. That makes no sense to me." I told him he was a boy and that girls think differently. He said "I don't get it. Go through a week of hell (his words) and then walk away at the end? Women."
My daughter suicided and had almost immediate regret. Thankfully it worked out for her and she received a bid, but her disappointment about not getting asked back to prefs at her "favorite" knocked her for a loop and she made an impulsive decision.

The one thing that I said that convinced her to hang in there and not drop out altogether was when I asked her if she wanted a wedding or to be married? I think that some girls get wrapped up in getting a bid in the same way that they get wrapped up in getting engaged or being the bride. They don't step back and see the long-term relationships that they will have the opportunity to form through a sisterhood.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlGirl13 View Post
My daughter suicided and had almost immediate regret. Thankfully it worked out for her and she received a bid, but her disappointment about not getting asked back to prefs at her "favorite" knocked her for a loop and she made an impulsive decision.

The one thing that I said that convinced her to hang in there and not drop out altogether was when I asked her if she wanted a wedding or to be married? I think that some girls get wrapped up in getting a bid in the same way that they get wrapped up in getting engaged or being the bride. They don't step back and see the long-term relationships that they will have the opportunity to form through a sisterhood.
Excellent! I'll have to remember that! Thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I love that!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Spot on, PearlGirl13!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
I think most girls SIP because they went into recruitment with either a favorite or a handful of favorites, or they succumb to tent talk. So if they are left with their favorite and one "not so much" or they have an overall "desirable by reputation" house, and one "not so desirable by reputation" house, they feel they will be in the house of "misfits" because that is how they have sold it to themselves. Most seasoned women agree that houses have base line commonalities. Sisterhood, tradition, support system, etc. But for some girls who build their lives around labels, from their jeans to the their handbags, to the shampoo they use, not having a "label" house is too much to bear.
This may be true, and since I haven't been through this type of recruitment, I don't know about "most".

I wonder, though.

Though there are (in many of these chapters) 150 or more women, the rushee doesn't see that. Just like she doesn't see that she is only a minuscule part of the "mutual" selection, she doesn't see anything but the women who rush her. She has no way of knowing what personalities comprise the chapter - what she sees is what the group - not knowing her - has allowed her to see.

It's so very easy to get a mistaken impression of something when you're only allowed to see a very small part of it. If she makes it through a couple of rounds without clicking with one of the rushers - or if she clicks in round 1 and then not again - can you blame her for thinking she might not fit?

Perception is reality.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
It's so very easy to get a mistaken impression of something when you're only allowed to see a very small part of it. If she makes it through a couple of rounds without clicking with one of the rushers - or if she clicks in round 1 and then not again - can you blame her for thinking she might not fit?

Perception is reality.
True. When my niece rushed 3 years ago, she visited 1 chapter and her rusher pretty much sat and stared at her. But she was game to meet them again! The second round wasn't invitational either and another girl rushed her...and did not talk. Her roommate, who sat next to her at each party and corroborated the story, marveled that anyone could silence our niece, who could "talk the paint off walls".

You can figure out which group they both cut, even though 98% of the chapter might have been very friendly.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

One of the best things I have read in a long time. Should be a banner running across the recruitment forum.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I love the idea of it, of no names for round one. It would be interesting to see how many would remember which house was which from the HOURS of time they spent looking at websites and Facebook pages.

Regarding the bubble, after Illinois had good success having a delay between the first and second halves of formal rush, Iowa started doing it that way, and they've had great success with it too. To me it seems counter-intuitive, but I think it does give girls a chance to take a breath and remember what their actual goal of out rush was. And they have found that fewer girls drop out. Quotas have been edging up at Iowa for a couple years now, and my guess is this year there will be a jump because virtually every house is at parity with the others, size-wise anyway.
I had a daughter go through recruitment at Iowa last year. At first, I wasn't a fan of the two-weekend schedule. I thought, "why drag it out? Let's get this done before school." But now after living through it with my daughter, I think the two-weekend (delayed) approach works. It gave her a chance to catch her breath and look at the big picture.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

For the Final Tally: Two of my girls went Tri Delta and the other one went Gamma Phi Beta. They are all beautiful, brilliant and talented young ladies and are Thrilled with their choices. They will all be a great asset to their sororities. Congratulations to my girls!!

Georgia Bulldog/Delta Delta Delta
Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My chickie is a very happy Alpha Gam! And after a not-so-happy week, I am over the moon for her and her new sisters!
Yippee!! Great chapter!

She was meant to be a Pearl Girl, too!
"Love the 14 Pearls!"
Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's already here I'll come back and edit.

AOII - 69 new members
https://www.facebook.com/AOIIFraternity
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Bond View Post
For the Final Tally: Two of my girls went Tri Delta and the other one went Gamma Phi Beta. They are all beautiful, brilliant and talented young ladies and are Thrilled with their choices. They will all be a great asset to their sororities. Congratulations to my girls!!

Georgia Bulldog/Delta Delta Delta
A friend of my daughter's is a member of Gamma Phi Beta at UGA and has been very happy. Congrats to all!