GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,081
1 members and 1,080 guests
Sarak24034

Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess it would help to mention that this campus does informal recruitment in the fall (no freshmen allowed) and formal in the spring. What I'm looking for is just some small things to do so that the freshmen start thinking "oh, the JKLs are such nice/fun/sweet/cool girls!" and generate goodwill and positive feelings to hopefully roll through to formal recruitment.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
I guess it would help to mention that this campus does informal recruitment in the fall (no freshmen allowed) and formal in the spring. What I'm looking for is just some small things to do so that the freshmen start thinking "oh, the JKLs are such nice/fun/sweet/cool girls!" and generate goodwill and positive feelings to hopefully roll through to formal recruitment.
Don't whore around, don't be the chapter drunk at every fraternity party, and don't be stuck up.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
I think a big aspect of this is creating your own positive PR. Participate in campus and greek activities, get (or keep) a high GPA, and make sure people on campus know about the things you're doing - it can't hurt to befriend someone on the school newspaper and let them know what great things your chapter is doing. Or even the city newspaper or tv station if it's a big deal.

Of course the key to this is getting members who want to generate this PR and are willing to do the work. That can be another issue entirely.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Roll out in huge numbers for EVERYTHING. This makes it look like it is fun to be an XYZ and that it would be great to be one!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Roll out in huge numbers for EVERYTHING. This makes it look like it is fun to be an XYZ and that it would be great to be one!
If they don't have numbers, would not that be very hard to do?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
If they don't have numbers, would not that be very hard to do?
If the whole chapter shows up at events, it will look like there are more of them than the largest chapter that shows up with a fraction of their sisters.

Also, make sure to work on your internal PR. Freshman will notice if you have a great sisterhood and seem close when you're out and about.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, good point. But what I meant was to make sure that they are present and visible at all campus activities. Whether there are 10 or 100 of them, wearing letter shirts, big smiles and good attitudes will be a plus for her group.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
If the whole chapter shows up at events, it will look like there are more of them than the largest chapter that shows up with a fraction of their sisters.
Agreed, but on the flip side of this it can lead to chapter burnout. With smaller chapters everyone would have to show up all the time; with larger chapters only half or 3/4 would have to show up to have the same effect. It can definitely be a tricky situation to manage (high attendance/lots of PR vs. chapter burnout) and unfortunately I don't have a good solution other than having determined members who are willing to put in the work.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a lot of universities have a juicycampus catagory (or whatever you want to call it) and I have to believe that it will make it much more difficult for the less popular sororities to turn things around. Has anyone else seen juicycampus? It's horrible. I feel so bad for the people & sororities that get written about. Many pnms will go on & if they hear bad things about certain sororities they may want to drop them more. It's sad really. There's one sorority in particullar & although they've been turning things around the past two years no one (especially the fraternity men) will let go of their old rep. They get so much bad talk on juicycampus.

Last edited by carnation; 06-25-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: advertising another site
Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Juicy Campus is by school. At one school the XYZs are awesome, at another they're awful, and it says so. As heinous as that website is, it does point out that chapters of the same sorority are different at every school.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

This is why I believe so strongly in a recruitment week that starts the day girls move into the dorms. (Actually, they move in a day early and do an FFR orientation, then start Open House rounds the next day when everyone else was is moving in.)

Many of the girls that come through have never even heard of the majority of houses. Generally, they know Chi Omega because the Chi-O fountain is a campus landmark. Theta is also one they seem to know; I always hear "Oh my mom was a Theta."

If the PNMs stay away from the three B's (boys, booze and bars) like they're supposed to, they have very little chance of hearing false information that may unduly influence them. We point that out during FFR orientation.

I always felt bad for the girls who pledged a certain house because they seemed fun and pretty, only to find out that chapter was on social probation and wouldn't be having as much fun as they hoped! And I really feel bad for the girls that pledge a house with significant debt, because they could choose that chapter for all the right reasons and then have such a huge weight put on their shoulders.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that girls who are going through the rush process & know about this site most likely know about jc already. Also, I wasn't saying that everything written on that website is true...my point was really the opposite. It's not only fraternity men that bad talk sororities it's also certain sorority members that do it too.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
^^^You do know that could be someone from another sorority (or just a malicious jerk in general) pretending to be an AXO, right?
Are you talking about/to me? Or maybe you're talking about something else and I just can't tell what. I'm confused. (FYI, I'm not an AXO).
Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmilehawk View Post
Are you talking about/to me? Or maybe you're talking about something else and I just can't tell what. I'm confused. (FYI, I'm not an AXO).
ha ha, no, I was talking about some skanky sleazy posts that were deleted. (I'll also be deleting mine as it makes no sense now, obviously.)
Old 07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Obviously I am a little late but I wanted to share a story about struggling chapters. One of my best friends from high school attended the same college as me and was cut severely after the first day of recruitment. She ended up joining one of the two sororities that was considered the least popular. When I went through rush both houses seemed very defeated and almost like they were trying to fake being bubbly and perky and "Legally Blonde."

Anyways, my friend's pledge class got so into their sorority and they adopted a "we're going to do what we want to do and not fake being a top chapter" attitude. My junior year their return rates were higher than everyone except the traditionally top chapters. They even had to add an extra party last minute. The girls in our pledge class said they were the most "real" sorority during recruitment and they all felt comfortable there.

What is interesting is that the other "low" sorority adopted a different attitude...they tried even harder to be "sorority"...dying their hair blonde, wearing Lacoste polos during rush, talking about subjects they were unfamiliar with, etc...as a result all of the "non-sorority" girls that were still great PNMs chose my friend's sorority over theirs. Their return rate was by far the lowest and they did not even come close to filling quota (my friend's house was tied for the biggest pledge class with my chapter, incidentally).

If you made it through this novel, the moral of the story is that I think you should really consider what makes your house special and sell it, sell it, sell it! If you can't compete with the other chapters don't fake their attitude...even if you do it well, they'll do it better because it's really their personality. Find a niche market that is wide enough to get a full quota every year and focus on selling that.