GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,544
3 members and 1,541 guests
oncegreek, PrettyBoy

Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

NY Mom kicks kids out of car and drives off.

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Usually, it's an empty threat: "If you kids don't stop fighting, I'm going to stop this car right now and leave you here!" But a mother from an upper-crust New York suburb went through with it, ordering her battling 10- and 12-year-old daughters out of her car in White Plains' business district and driving off, police said Tuesday.

Madlyn Primoff, 45, a partner in a Manhattan law firm, pleaded not guilty Monday to a charge of endangering a child. A temporary order of protection was issued, barring her from contact with the children, who were physically unharmed.

Primoff's lawyer, Vincent Briccetti, would not comment Tuesday on details of the case. But he said, "Madlyn is a great mother connected with a great family, and she is grateful for the outpouring of support from friends and family."

There wasn't much support from strangers, however. Mothers interviewed near the scene said they couldn't imagine doing what Primoff did, though some understood the urge.

Iris Gorodess, 49, of Mahopac, who has four children ranging from 10 to 19 years old, said she sympathized with Primoff's actions, right up to the point where she pulled away.

"I used to pull over and make the kids change seats. Also, I make sure the kids have their iPods and their games. And I have a minivan, so they're not up my neck all the time.

"But I can't see pulling away. That has to be too scary for the children."

White Plains police said Primoff ordered the arguing girls out of the car Sunday evening as they were driving home. She left them at Post Road and South Broadway, an area of shops and offices 3 miles from their home, then drove off, the police report said.

The report does not say whether the girls had cell phones.

Police would not say if Primoff ever returned to look for the girls, but they said, without explaining how, that the 12-year-old eventually caught up with the mother. The 10-year-old was found by a "Good Samaritan" on the street, upset and emotional about losing her mother, police said.

link

I was on her side right up until she didn't go back to pick them up....if she had just sat there for a few minutes and teasd like she was going to pull off or took a sloooooooow drive around the block...she would have been ok!
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Haha - I could see my mom doing this. I could see her pulling off but I don't think she would have went far though...maybe just down the block a ways and pulling over or maybe just around the block.

She would have come back though. lol
Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

She's a partner at Kaye Scholer (one of the top law firms in the country, if not the world); here's her bio: http://www.kayescholer.com/professionals/primoff_madlyn .

I'm sure her partners aren't happy about this kind of attention.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
She's a partner at Kaye Scholer (one of the top law firms in the country, if not the world); here's her bio: http://www.kayescholer.com/professionals/primoff_madlyn .

I'm sure her partners aren't happy about this kind of attention.
That's the first thing I looked for when I found out her name and firm. Those lawyer bios are often investigative gold!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
That's the first thing I looked for when I found out her name and firm. Those lawyer bios are often investigative gold!
Ok, glad I wasn't the only one who did that. Kaye Scholer is no joke and has a ridiculous client list, so I'll bet there was some sort of meeting with the managing partner or executive committee after this news broke.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Looking at her bio, I'd say she's probably under a ricockulous amount of stress right now. That doesn't excuse what she did, but it might explain.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Looking at her bio, I'd say she's probably under a ricockulous amount of stress right now. That doesn't excuse what she did, but it might explain.
Although she's probably gotten a lot of business lately - if you're having business issues right now, Kaye Scholer is one of the firms where you'll go, and from her resume I'm guessing she's got some of the bigger clients.

If she's kicking kids out of her car, I wonder what her associates are doing...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to psychdesire Send a message via MSN to psychdesire Send a message via Yahoo to psychdesire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I agree with this. Especially seeing that she had a lot of stressors during the time. Not that it gives her the right to do so, but her mental state may have been clouded.

Kaye Scholer? wow, that is a great company
Someone called me their hero today, because I refuse to get hype about graduation OR to just limit my talents to four years. I am pursuing another year of college because I feel I am not ready (skilled enough) in subjects I should be skilled in - How amazing is this
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Wasn't this an episode of Desperate Housewives a few years ago?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
....if she had just sat there for a few minutes and teased like she was going to pull off or took a sloooooooow drive around the block...she would have been ok!
sounds like something my mom would've done if my sister and I had gotten out of control
lol
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I may be evil, but the mom would get no problems from me! It seems like the kids needed to learn a lesson. The 12 year old caught up with the mom so it seems to me that she didnt go very far from where she left them. Since she called police looking for her daughter shortly after Police picked the daughter up seems like she was looking for her even before the police got her. There are crazy people everywhere, but they were 3 miles from home in a very well off neighborhood. I'm pretty shure the mother didnt fear for their safety.
Quite frankly were it my mom not only would she follow through with the threat she'd punish us both if one of us came back without the other. Sometimes you have to follow through with the threats you make or your words become meaningless. I'll bet next time they're in the car and she tells them to shut it or get put out they'll shut up!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.A.S.K. View Post
I may be evil, but the mom would get no problems from me! It seems like the kids needed to learn a lesson. The 12 year old caught up with the mom so it seems to me that she didnt go very far from where she left them. Since she called police looking for her daughter shortly after Police picked the daughter up seems like she was looking for her even before the police got her.
What lesson have they learned, really?

According to other news sources, she called her town's police from HOME and reported the 10 year-old missing. The 12 year-old ran and caught up to the car. The fact that she managed to get the other kid, GO HOME, and then call the police is beyond the pale.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I'm going to admit it my dad did this to me when I was very little. But I'd like to point out A) He didn't go very far, just drove away slowly and I could still see him, B) I knew how to get home since I was around the corner from the house (I was still crying terrified though!), and C) I NEVER acted up in the car again (although I don't remember what it was I was doing in the first place-and my mom honestly says I was an angel, especially compared to kids nowadays).

Sometimes when I hear stories like this I feel bad for the parents. There is only so much anyone can take, even if they are supposed to be the "grown up". Where she failed was when the other one got lost and the police had to get involved.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I hope the other daughter getting "lost" taught her a lesson. While I'm not a mother and I've never gone through the stresses of taking care of a child, I could NEVER see leaving a child somewhere. Those of you saying that it was done to you (though not as extreme) when you were younger... our world was a different place back then, when we could play in the street or go down to the park unsupervised and not having to worry about someone taking us.

Well-off neighborhood or not, you just can't chance something like this. Imagine if that good samaritan was someone who was up to no good and took that little girl. What kind of lesson is learned there?

KLTC
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry I am still kind of laughing at this:

The report does not say whether the girls had cell phones.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”