GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,528
0 members and 1,528 guests
No Members online

Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
?? Re the bolded: Are you saying some fraternities and sororities don't know where they have inactive chapters, or that they are unwilling to make it easy for others to find where they have inactive chapters? If it's the latter, a Baird's or similar book is only going to be as good as the information supplied to the editors, and it may be out of date by the time its published. If it's the former, then those GLOs have bigger problems to deal with.

I suspect 33girl is right that Greekdom is just too big and varied now for something like an updated Baird's to be as accurate or comprehensive as it should be. And with what's available on the internet, it probably isn't worth the effort.
The latter, but that having the NIC ask for it and having the results in something as well known as Baird's *might* be enough to cause them to research it (if needed) and give an answer. In addition, for some fraternities and sororities, finding founding dates for chapters can be very difficult. This is also likely to be requested as part of Data for Baird's.

For example, since I spent some frustrating time helping a sister of Delta Sigma Theta create Wikipedia page of them... I'll pay $10 on the spot for a referenceable complete list of all of the Delta Sigma Theta undergraduate chapters (active and inactive) and what year they were created. I have a very low expectation of getting such a thing (though I'll be interested to see what sort of information is in the program at the centennial) *but* if they were to put out a new version of Baird's, there would be a good chance of getting that information. (The current wikipedia page contains that information for all chapters 1976 and prior since the list in the 1991 Baird's (which I own) is repeated from 1976)

I agree with 33girl on that point as well...
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it so much more difficult to get chapter information from NPHC organizations? Most of the groups simply don't list it. In doing some research on a specific campus I found several cases where a chapter name has been re-given. Is this a common practice? I can see how difficult the project would be; however, if a request from a respectable organization about to publish an updated Baird's surely each group would want to be as accurate as possible.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I do seem to recall that not very many copies of the 1990 edition were sold. They published tons of them and were stuck. I agree that it wasn't the best issue and so that fact, coupled with a high price just didn't cut it. I can see why anyone would be wary of publishing a new edition.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Banned

1880 Bairds Manual

I was able to find a copy of the "mysterious" 1880 edition....in fact it wasnt even titled "first revised edition" as the preface suggests. The NY public library is supposed to have all the editions, and many other books that once belonged to William Baird himself. (He had amassed a huge collection of material in his lifetime)/ The entire collection (minus things related to Beta Theta Pi) was given on loan to the NYPL by the Beta HQ back in the day, with the thought that the entire collection would remain intact, but apparently NYPL never got that note because they totally dispersed the entire collection to many various places!! What a shame!

Anyway, the one copy "1880 edition" I was able to find looks exactly like the 1879 edition except that two or three pages were changed, and an addendum was added to the end to update chapter info, and make a few corrections. One way to notice if one has an 1879 edition or an 1880 edition is to look at the entry for Alpha Tau Omega, if there is a die cut of the badge, then you have an 1880 edition, if not then you have the 1879 edition.......the pages for Phi Kappa Sigma are also different, as is the entry for Pi Kappa Alpha, which in the 1879 edition it was listed as PHI Kappa Alpha and not Pi Kappa Alpha!

I have a digital copy I can share, if you contact me.

Thanks.
BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by modorney View Post
Whoops! My Typo! I should have said 1880.

Thanks for the update, badgeguy That's quite a collection there!

The first edition was 1879
The "second" (which was actually called the First Revised Edition) was 1880
The "third" (which was actually called the Second Revised Edition) was 1883

According to the preface (page IV) of the 1883 edition, the 1880 edition was little more than a reprint of the 1879 edition.

I'm wondering if anyone has scanned the 1880 version and posted it online.