GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,171
2 members and 2,169 guests
Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 05-19-2006, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Article re: Marshall University football tragedy movie

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...1marshall.html

Attached is a link to an article about a movie that will come out in the fall. The movie discusses the tragic plan crash that killed the entire Marshall University football team. I post it here because there are some references to one of the players being a member of Lambda Chi Alpha although I know some here won't like the reference.

Sounds like it could be a good movie.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2006, 04:33 PM

Marshall was to play Ohio University in Athens the next Saturday (at least that's how I remember it - although there could have been a couple of weeks between).

Instead, there was a memorial service in OU's Peden Stadium at the time the game would have been played. I was there.

Needless to say, everyone was in shock.

I'll be anxious to see the movie.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

The movie has Matthew Fox playing the part of Red Dawson, who was one of the coaches and one of the only survivors. He stayed behind to do some recruiting, if I recall correctly. It saved his life. By the way, he might have been named Ed, but he had red hair, thus the nickname.

Let me tell you a true story which will age me, but what the heck.

Red played college ball at Florida State, my alma mater. He came back a few years later as a coach. His younger brother was on the FSU team and was a senior in the fall of 1970, when the plane crashed. His roommate (and teammate) at the time later became my husband.

It was late, after a game. We came back to his dorm room and there was a note taped to the door. It said "RHETT - Red was NOT on the plane". What a freaky thing that was. The scary part was that a few weeks earlier, the plane carrying the Wichita State football team also went down and almost all the players died. WS dropped football after that. Amazing that all these years later there is a movie being made with Fox and McConnaughey in it. Movie is being shot in and around Atlanta, I believe. I will definitely buy a ticket.

Last edited by AnchorAlum; 05-19-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

They filmed a bunch of the movie in my hometown of Huntington, where Marshall University is. Everybody was very thrilled to meet all the stars, watch the filming, etc. However, my best friend's boyfriend ran into Matthew McCaughney and called him a fag.

My 5th grade teacher lost her father, a local sportscaster, in the crash.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KatieKate1244
However, my best friend's boyfriend ran into Matthew McCaughney and called him a fag.
If Brother Delt McCaughney is gay, I'll be happy to relieve him of a few of "his" women.

Let me know.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuAmberkins
I had never even heard of this...I read the article, and now I really want to see the movie. What a tragedy...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember a few years ago that my best friend from college was telling me about where her dad went to school and that there was a big crash that he missed because he was taking a test or something. I just talked to her again and she did confirm for me that her dad did go to Marshall and was a member of the team but didn't travel with the team that weekend because he had to do something with class. How creepy is that? She then told me that he left Marshall after that year, his freshman year, and went back to New York where he went to another college and became a police officer. It just blows my mind to think of how close she is to that whole crash. It would have been awful if he was on that plane, especially for his family, but for me, not to be selfish, I would have never had her as my best friend. Just makes you think.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
If Brother Delt McCaughney is gay, I'll be happy to relieve him of a few of "his" women.

Let me know.
I'll keep you updated.

Supposedly, Matthew is looking to buy a house in the area, which would be cool.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad they are making a movie. When this happened my dad was called in for one of the many body search teams. *he was a mortician at the time*.

It's a horrible story. It's why I never flew out of Hunington
Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I definitely plan on seeing this movie when it comes out, hopefully it'll be while I'm in school. Despite being at WVU, I have several friends from Huntington who are big Marshall fans. This sounds like a tragic but still great story.