GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,563
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, VickiWhita
» Online Users: 1,159
0 members and 1,159 guests
No Members online

Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Honestly I am not sure. I went to the same university (TCU) that my mom and her father attended, and there was something very cool about that. In fact my grandfather attended so long ago that he actually knew many of the people that our campus buildings were named for! My parents even got married in our university chapel. So, you can see that there is definite a special place in my heart, as well as my family's, for TCU.

However, I do have a daughter. The decision to rush and the group to list first on her pref card is hers and hers alone. That being said, I would really cherish the opportunity to share Theta with her. Perhaps that is because I already have the shared family connection with my college, but do not have other family members in Theta. Maybe there is just the desire to share that type of experience too. Who knows.

However, a fourth generation TCU-er would bring me much joy as well. Maybe I can have the best of both worlds- my son attending TCU and my daughter a Theta.
I was tempted to make some horned frog jokes, but this is too touching

/UTAMaverick

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. This is a great thread. It is a toss-up because I love my GLO but, I also bleed blue and white. My fiance proposed to me at the Nittany Lion Shrine (it serves the same purpose as the Gator at UF and other fun monuments people get pictures with for graduation). I am having a Penn State themed wedding. We are getting married in State College and most likely having our wedding reception at the Nittany Lion Inn. Although, 4 of my 6 bridesmaids (to include my maid of honor) are my sorority sisters. Because my fiance and I are first-generation college graduates and both graduated from Penn State, and eventually Syracuse, I would have to say Alma Mater.

At the end of the day, we make it farther in life (for most people) based on the prestigious universities we attended and not necessarily on our GLOs.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I have all boys, I'll say alma mater.

Seriously, I would love to have them go to my alma mater, but since it would be out-of-state for them, they had better get some scholarships! One of the reasons I loved my school is that it's not a suitcase or commuter school- most students stay for the weekends. As long as they can have a similar experience, they can go anywhere.

Although, if they came home with AOII girlfriends, that would just be icing on the cake.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Since I have all boys, I'll say alma mater.

Seriously, I would love to have them go to my alma mater, but since it would be out-of-state for them, they had better get some scholarships! One of the reasons I loved my school is that it's not a suitcase or commuter school- most students stay for the weekends. As long as they can have a similar experience, they can go anywhere.

Although, if they came home with AOII girlfriends, that would just be icing on the cake.
Hahaha...That is exactly how I feel. If my (future) sons come home with Phi Mu girlfriends, I'll be pretty darn happy.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPhiERDoc View Post
I think I'm going to be the only one to say this - but definitely my GLO. My university was fine, but Pi Phi MADE my undergrad experience what it was.
Ditto. GLO wins for me, hands down. Unlike many in this thread, I don't have any familial ties to any particular school. Or GLO for that matter. I'm a first generation college graduate. My husband & I met at our college, but a small private liberal arts school isn't for everyone. And because there's no family tradition, and because that school is 2000 miles away from where we live, not a lot pulls us back.

My sorority experience made my college experience, and it did more to prepare me for the workplace than school ever could. I would love to share Kappa with a potential future daughter. Honestly, though, I think I would love to share any GLO. If not Kappa, then I'd get to learn that much more about another group. And really, that's not so bad. Alumiyum made a great point about how sometimes it's nice to have something similar but not exactly the same... so either way has its perks.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
If you could guarantee your child's admittance and happiness in one or the other but not both, would it be more meaningful to you to have your child attend your alma mater or initiate into your GLO?

Neither. I detest my alma mater and I have three boys who have said at various times they'd never join a Fraternity. I'm just thankful beyond belief that the oldest reconsidered and found his Lambda Chi Alpha brothers. Who knows what the next one will do now that he's heading to college in a month? At least I have four more years before the last one heads out!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless my kids want to become architects or engineers, I don't want them going to my alma mater.

Even then, I wouldn't really care what school they went to... It all depends what specifically they'd want to study.

I would love for my sons to become SigEps. If I have daughters, it'd be cool if they married SigEps. Or I'll get them pinned somehow. :P

The goal is a 100% SigEp family lol.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM

No kids here, but if I did have any - alma mater, definitely.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine claims that his wife went to college to major in Greek, not the classical language but sorority/fraternity life. He went to a a top ranked liberal arts school that doesn't have a Greek system. For him, alma mater ...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Without a doubt, I would want my daughter to be a Chi Omega, regardless of the campus she chose.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Without a doubt, I would want my daughter to be a Chi Omega, regardless of the campus she chose.
I'm jealous of both the owls and the skull and cross bones. All my Chi O friends have such cool sorority related stuff.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
The goal is a 100% SigEp family lol.
LOL, my son said this.

No sé, it would be hard to choose. I love my 3 schools but my oldest 8 have gone to colleges that they've really liked and had a great time at. My oldest 6 girls have gone to schools without Pi Phi and flourished in their sororities.

Mm. I think I want a Pi Phi more. Just one?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify...

I know we would all agree that we want our children/nieces/nephews to go where they would be happiest. I'm asking the hypothetical question of what would mean more to you - to share an alma mater or share a GLO with him/her/them?
Which would mean more to me? To share an alma mater. There are some schools where her sorority experience (not just in my sorority, but in any sorority) would be so many light-years from what I experienced that the "sharing" concept would be pointless.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Which would mean more to me? To share an alma mater. There are some schools where her sorority experience (not just in my sorority, but in any sorority) would be so many light-years from what I experienced that the "sharing" concept would be pointless.
Good point, that didn't occur to me but that's so true.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just to clarify...

I know we would all agree that we want our children/nieces/nephews to go where they would be happiest. I'm asking the hypothetical question of what would mean more to you - to share an alma mater or share a GLO with him/her/them?
That's kind of a tricky question because they only way I would pick to share my GLO over my school with them is if they were at my GLO at my school.

Frankly, I don't care for others within national headquarters. I like mine and they're my brothers.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke