GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,475
0 members and 2,475 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieM View Post
I wish someone who was of a creative bent would finish it off for all of us.
No kidding, I need an ending! What was that "thing"? Where did Recruitment pledge? Aspen like her sister Sydney? Taos? What happened to Callie, did she pull strings for Vail? What about her Mother???

I just need some closure. It's like Season 1 ended and we are all waiting for a Season 2 that got cancelled.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I am learning a lot tonight. I just assumed that everyone had big parties (4-ways and 6 ways). Usually 6-ways were around Little 500 and you were bussed to an outside venue and you had to have 6 chapters to pay for the band and rental space. Thursday night was low key like a house party or room parties. Friday was a usually an in house DJ and Saturdays were paired parties with a band or themed with a DJ.

If we wanted to have a "social" with a fraternity, we usually had a dinner exchange. We invited 10 or so guys over for dinner, then they hosted dessert, by dessert I mean adult beverages.
Back on the day at Illinois, they were called exchanges. We had 4 exchanges per year. These were one-on-one parties with a fraternity, and the way they "asked" was by serenading the semester prior. The chapter would vote on all the invitations and pick the 2 per semester they wanted to accept. Some were themed, most were not. No one except members of that fraternity and sorority could attend.

Exchanges were totally different from other social events. They were more official. Of course, back then Bid Day was an official event hosted by a fraternity (my how things have changed) as well.

Fall semester
Bid Day (sorority formally matched up with a fraternity)
Football block (formal match up with fraternity)
Barn dance (date party)
Stocking/winter formal (date party)
2 exchanges (matched with a fraternity)

Spring semester
Pledge dance (date party put on by "pledges")
Atius (Mom's day show - official pairing with a fraternity)
Rose formal (date party)
2 exchanges (matched with a fraternity)

There were tons of other events too, but that was the backbone of the sorority social calendar. it seemed like the other chapters all had similar set ups.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school we had:

* formals (usually 1-2 per year, hosted by an individual sorority or fraternity for members/dates only).
* date parties (hosted by one or two groups, usually on a Saturday night - either sorority/sorority or fraternity/fraternity for the duos - usually themed and often the same theme annually)
* weekends (fraternities often hosted a date party one night and then a formal the next - both usually with the same date... some had week-long parties with an event every night for members/dates - Old South for KA and Paddy Murphy for SAE were like this, some were out of town for part or all of the weekend)
* mixers (1/1 or 2/2 sorority/fraternity, usually on a Friday night... we had a few 3/3 before national organizations pulled the plug on the multi-sponsor events - always themed and at the fraternity's house - closed to members only until 11 pm and then it became an open party for girls and "guest list" men)
* presentation (sororities only - fall formal dinner/dance with parents where the new member class for the year is "presented" formally)
* football blocks (arranged seating for 1-2 organizations in the stadium for a home game - usually fraternity/sorority or fraternity plus dates - often with a pre and/or post event)
* charity parties (gigantic fraternity parties on steroids where tickets were sold to the general public - at my school the often featured big name entertainers in 5,000 person venues - Pikefest was the most famous back in my day)
* pledge mixers (fraternity/sorority on a Thursday night, new members only)

A typical Friday night found us going to a mixer - usually our own first and then we'd make the rounds ending up at whatever house was our favorite at the time. (It was common for new members to show up at 9:00, actives to come at 9:45, and seniors at 10:30... Not sure why we dd that, but we did.)

A Saturday generally involved either football (and associated pre/post parties), a date party, or if it was a "big" weekend, one of the charity parties (everyone Greek pretty much went to those). If you didn't have one of those things, you went out dancing or to house parties at off-campus apartments or houses.

I now look back and realize where we got our party school reputation - we usually had more on our social calendar for a month than most chapters I see now have in an entire year.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder1965 View Post
No kidding, I need an ending! What was that "thing"? Where did Recruitment pledge? Aspen like her sister Sydney? Taos? What happened to Callie, did she pull strings for Vail? What about her Mother???

I just need some closure. It's like Season 1 ended and we are all waiting for a Season 2 that got cancelled.
Seriously! There needs to be a disclaimer saying: Reader Beware-Story Never Finished! I spent almost two hours reading the thread and I have no idea what happened to Callie! Did Sydney and Sequin Hose grow up to be part of OJs legal dream team? Did Miss America Mom disown her daughter for pledging Taos? And most importantly, why didn't Sequin Hose believe in starting her sentences with capital letters (did she not pay her assistant overtime)? I don't know! I'll never know!

@pinkglitter. I hope you have a fabulous recruitment! Can't wait to hear the rest of your story!!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ this!^^^ I seriously almost cried yesterday afternoon when I found out that she was never going to finish. Then I had to think long and hard about who needed therapy more- the one who wrote it, or myself, for being soooo wrapped up in it that I am desolate that it was not finished and I will never know what happens to Cowgirl Callie.... FSUZeta Thank you for pointing out that Pinkglitter is the one that found it.... PINKGLITTER YOU ARE MY NEW "RUSH CRUSH"!!!! I love you for finding this for me!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!

@oldolemiss - Thanks!

Update
This really isn't as much of an update as it is me venting my excitement. I met my Pi Chis yesterday (can't say much about them bc I think they way the introduce themselves may be specific to my school). I am soooo excited about tomorrow and could barely sleep last night. When I finally did sleep, I kept dreaming about recruitment (lame, I know).

I had to make myself stop reading recruitment stories because it's making me a bit anxious. I'm hoping to get into London, Milan, or Barcelona. Of course that could change. But so far, they seem to have everything I'm looking for and speculation helps calm me down a bit.

My mom and I stayed up ALLLL night talking about it. She's just as excited as I am. Everyone in my family has always gone NPHC if they went greek, so I would be the 1st Panhellenic. My mom told me she is proud of me for following my heart instead of being worried what others will think. I haven't told any of my family other than her and 2 cousins yet because my dad will be furious, so I'm glad that so far everyone I've told is excited for me and very supportive.

Ok, sorry for the long post. That's all I've got for now.

Last edited by pinkglitter; 09-05-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkglitter View Post
@oldolemiss - Thanks!

Update
This really isn't as much of an update as it is me venting my excitement. I met my Pi Chis yesterday (can't say much about them bc I think they way the introduce themselves may be specific to my school). I am soooo excited about tomorrow and could barely sleep last night. When I finally did sleep, I kept dreaming about recruitment (lame, I know).

I had to make myself stop reading recruitment stories because it's making me a bit anxious. I'm hoping to get into London, Milan, or Barcelona. Of course that could change. But so far, they seem to have everything I'm looking for and speculation helps calm me down a bit.

My mom and I stayed up ALLLL night talking about it. She's just as excited as I am. Everyone in my family has always gone NPHC if they went greek, so I would be the 1st Panhellenic. My mom told me she is proud of me for following my heart instead of being worried what others will think. I haven't told any of my family other than her and 2 cousins yet because my dad will be furious, so I'm glad that so far everyone I've told is excited for me and very supportive.

Ok, sorry for the long post. That's all I've got for now.
Your mom sounds awesome! It's great to hear how supportive she is. And she's right, follow your heart and it doesn't matter what other people think!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi95 View Post
Your mom sounds awesome! It's great to hear how supportive she is. And she's right, follow your heart and it doesn't matter what other people think!
Thanks! She really is awesome
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
^^^^ this!^^^ I seriously almost cried yesterday afternoon when I found out that she was never going to finish. Then I had to think long and hard about who needed therapy more- the one who wrote it, or myself, for being soooo wrapped up in it that I am desolate that it was not finished and I will never know what happens to Cowgirl Callie.... FSUZeta Thank you for pointing out that Pinkglitter is the one that found it.... PINKGLITTER YOU ARE MY NEW "RUSH CRUSH"!!!! I love you for finding this for me!!!

I KNOW!!! Me too, I think I screamed out loud: NOOOOOOOO. Right there with you about therapy question....
Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope she comes back to finish this thread and that the delay is due to her finding a sisterhood to join!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I remember Pinkglitter saying that she would post after recruitment is over. Hope she is having fun and rush is going her way!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day

Okay, guys. I'm finally ready to post. I'm going to add a small bit of background so you can understand my full experience.

First off, I'm a senior. I have a few years left because I switched majors, but still, I'm a senior. I was very afraid what this might mean for my chances, but I still wanted to try. I'm a transfer student and have NO friends at my school so it has been lonely. I knew being in a sorority is just what I needed. I went through Spring Recruitment last semester, but didn't finish for personal reasons. I was considered a junior then, and all summer I wondered if I should have just done Spring Recruitment.

PHILANTHROPY DAY

The first day of recruitment at my school is philanthropy day. I was so excited! I had been waiting for this day all summer and even had a countdown going. Okay, here goes:

London - I went here first. The girl I met was really sweet. The conversation was awkward at first but then it became more natural. I think it was just because I was so nervous. We watched a video on the philanthropy which I personally related to (Can't say how without saying what the philanthropy they have). After the video we talked a little bit more, but the party was soon over. I liked this house but wasn't wowed.

Milan - I went to this house expecting to be completely in love. Like I said, I had met some of these girls before and I thought we really got along. My conversation with the first girl was completely awkward. We had nothing in common it seemed and I had to fill empty silences with saying how excited I was. After the 3rd time saying it, I'm sure I seemed a little weird, but what was i to do. The next girl I talked to was even worse. Occasionally, she'd look around like she knew it too. There was a SUPER long pause in our convo. I knew I wouldn't be asked back here.

Barcelona - Ok, I had the most AWESOME time in here. The 2 girls I talked to had soooo much in common with me. We talked about just about everything. We watched a video of they're philanthropy and I loooooved it. I could see myself here and felt like it was my home.

Paris - Did not like this one at all. The girl seemed to just be rambling on about facts about her sorority and never mentioned her sisterhood until I said "I'm excited for the sisterhood part". At which she said, "Oh, I love my sisters. We're always together" or something like that and continued spitting out facts.

New York City - This house was still just ok. Although i will say that I loved the philanthropy. Like Pais this girl seemed to be rambling out facts. However, when I met other girls, they did a better job of making it more conversational while also giving info. I think the 1st girl was just nervous. She did mention that this was her first time doing recruitment. I did find it comforting that she was 23 and was 22 when she pledged (my current age). Maybe that's why they had her pick me up. Not sure but if so, great idea. Unfortunately, I had read something about them that tainted my opinion. I know that's bad, but it's true so..

After all the parties I ranked them:

Barcelona
London
Milan
New York City
Paris

Last edited by pinkglitter; 09-09-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: messed up colors
Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I was considering posting it all today. Let me know if you guys want more.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I vote yes!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes!!!