GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,503
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, aidanpitt256
» Online Users: 2,549
0 members and 2,549 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
While on the topic of sharing some of the more unique or older badges, this is one of the most beautiful Theta badges I've seen- even if only online (darn ebay). It's from 1944 with opals, and the points are more elongated than the standard badge of today.

Oh, the wounds...

As I have mentioned elsewhere on these boards, I was one of the bidders of this badge and had dreamed of being able to wear it. Unfortunately, a collector was able to outbid myself (and come to find out, another theta) with the winning bid of $1325.

The elongated points that you see in this badge (known as a "Dyer badge") are no longer available. Apparantly there was one jeweler in Indiana who made these special badges, but they have since gone out of business. Opals are still an option, which I have considered for my upcoming badge purchase. However, I just love the beauty of this antique one, especially in the more unique Dyer style badge.

Hopefully, one day this beauty will find its way back into the hands of a Theta.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv n tpa View Post
Theta Phi initiates are all required to have the same badge. I like that there isn't any variance, aside from the chapter president's badge, grand council badge and the national president's badge. Of course over time our badge has evolved, but for the most part it has maintained the same look.
My chapter president was actually talking to me about this the other day. She asked if I had ever seen Theta Phi's chapter president badge, and informed me that it's a different badge that is passed down when a new president takes office.

Is that practiced in all chapters? Or can a president order her own to keep?

I looked it up on Google and this is the only picture that came up:

Is this the actual president's badge?

If so, I think it's gorgeous

@~/~~~~
Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Oh, the wounds...

Hopefully, one day this beauty will find its way back into the hands of a Theta.

Indeed, Blondie93, indeed it will... sooner or later... especially if you know or believe anything about opals.

There is no way that this badge has any meaning to anyone other than a Theta. And this badge will not be happy hidden away in a box or a drawer. (cue eerie music).

In the meantime, we will patiently and positively wait, until the time when it finds its way home.

And we will enjoy looking at all the other badges shared on this thread; thanks to thetygerlily for starting it!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Indeed, Blondie93, indeed it will... sooner or later... especially if you know or believe anything about opals.
Runs off to google eerie qualities of opals!

It's definitely a beautiful badge.

ETA: Per wiki, about the opal: "It was also said to confer the power of invisibility if wrapped in a fresh bay leaf and held in the hand." I had no idea! Imma gonna go get my opal pendant and find myself a bay leaf! Still, I need to do some more research because this clearly isn't what AzTheta is referring to... I just wanted to share the invisibility thing.

Last edited by SydneyK; 11-09-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

About Opals: definitely a swerving here into another place, but just FYI:

http://www.opalsdownunder.com.au/articles/luck.php

Of course, we all can make up our own minds, and bear in mind that this article was written by a representative of the Australian opal trade.

This particular badge spoke to many Thetas, and it will find its way home! I myself would never consider wearing it, but would love to see it on a Theta, in the light of day.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:03 PM

I always heard (niece of a jeweler) that opals were only bad luck if you bought them for yourself - if you inherited them or someone you loved bought you one, they were OK.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

There was also something about it's okay to buy them for yourself if you were born in October (because opal is the October birthstone), I think.
What is remembered, lives.
What is shared, is eternal.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
While on the topic of sharing some of the more unique or older badges, this is one of the most beautiful Theta badges I've seen- even if only online (darn ebay). It's from 1944 with opals, and the points are more elongated than the standard badge of today.

That's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I saw a Tri Sigma badge with opals instead of pearls once on ebay - and it was stunning! (Of course it went very high into the bidding, well out of my price range.)

I really like the elongated points on this badge as well. Very elegant! Whoever originally owned this badge must have been a very special lady!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I always heard (niece of a jeweler) that opals were only bad luck if you bought them for yourself - if you inherited them or someone you loved bought you one, they were OK.
Oh that's super creepy! I've never heard that before. I have an opal ring that I love and wear daily that was a gift from my (bio) sister. I also have opal earrings that I got from an aunt years ago, but they look strange on me.

I would love to rescue a Kappa badge someday. Maybe I'll get lucky many years from now. I found a 50-year pin in a 2nd hand store and bought it because I thought it shouldn't be there.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I would love to rescue a Kappa badge someday. Maybe I'll get lucky many years from now. I found a 50-year pin in a 2nd hand store and bought it because I thought it shouldn't be there.
And in 40 some odd years you'll get to wear it!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Oh that's super creepy! I've never heard that before. I have an opal ring that I love and wear daily that was a gift from my (bio) sister. I also have opal earrings that I got from an aunt years ago, but they look strange on me.

Just keep your eyes out! You'd be surprised at where they end up.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I just found the site for Alphas to order their ADPi pin, and I'm amazed at the different options! Click here, pick any college (it's there to keep you honest ), then on the next page, click where it says "Click here to see badge and guard options."

Also shocking to me were the prices! As ADqtPiMel said, there's no plain option anymore, but it looks as if they've limited the stones. I guess my ruby points pin just became a collector's item!

BTW, that Theta pin is beautiful, but I have to ask: do Thetas get scratched from their pins as often as ADPis do?

Last edited by honeychile; 11-10-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, the wounds...

As I have mentioned elsewhere on these boards, I was one of the bidders of this badge and had dreamed of being able to wear it. Unfortunately, a collector was able to outbid myself (and come to find out, another theta) with the winning bid of $1325.

The elongated points that you see in this badge (known as a "Dyer badge") are no longer available. Apparantly there was one jeweler in Indiana who made these special badges, but they have since gone out of business. Opals are still an option, which I have considered for my upcoming badge purchase. However, I just love the beauty of this antique one, especially in the more unique Dyer style badge.

what a stunningly beautiful badge. i am so sorry that you did not get it.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Oh, the wounds...

Blondie,
The collector who won this badge IS a THETA and has been seeking an opaled Dyer badge since 1990. Collectors work hard at finding badges and when you have coveted this one as much as she has (and put in as many Theta volunteer hours for the past 2 DECADES), you can't fault her for her winning bid. She did have to overcome another Theta collector AND a collector with DEEP pockets to win this.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE View Post
Blondie,
The collector who won this badge IS a THETA and has been seeking an opaled Dyer badge since 1990. Collectors work hard at finding badges and when you have coveted this one as much as she has (and put in as many Theta volunteer hours for the past 2 DECADES), you can't fault her for her winning bid. She did have to overcome another Theta collector AND a collector with DEEP pockets to win this.
Sounds like Theta's around the world can breath a sigh of relief! It's nice to know that such a beautiful and rare badge is still in the hands of a sister who knows its secrets.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!